Please Double Check my Elect. Plan

simondetroit

Well after seeing Chermas close call I thought I would ask for some advice before I wire all this shit up. I'm going to be doing the wiring myself for 4 600 watt hps lights and 4 396 gph pumps. The remainder of the items in the room will be plugged in safely else where. Since I have room in my breaker box, my plan is to: Wire 3 seperate 20amp breakers for the room. Each line will have a 4 plug box on the end for the timers and ballasts to plug into. I was thinking I would plug one light timer and 2 600's into two separate boxes. The third box would be for 2 separate pump timers and 4 396 pumps? How's it sound?:peace::thanks:

it's a good thing to break up the heavy loads as you have already said thats what you plan on doing. sounds like you are pullin wire for this setup? 12/3 romex wire is what you need with 20 amp outlets. i think your plan is good. :smokin:

Really recomend that if you are going to run serious wattage, (HID) or big pumps, you spend the time on a decent switching and timer system This could be some contacts and an Intermatic mechanical timer.). Hard-wire what you can for more secure connections, also less resistance at contact. Keep timers and connections out of the bloom area (bloom area closed :( 12 hrs a day) and away from water as much as possible.

Do you know how many watts/amps the pumps draw? So far your plan sounds good.

Pumps draw 25 watts each. if thats at 3" of head or 20' of head I dont know but thats what they are rated at

Just to reiterate what hog said make sure you have 12ga wire if you are going with 20 amp breakers. thats very important.

sounds good , or you could run a couple #8 and wire a sub panel and come directly out of the sub and hard wire your lights in , most of the problems is at the male female connection
(go figure lol) if you need any diagrams i can draw it up if you give basic details of space[/QUOTE
Thanks for the offer. I have a buddy who has offered to come over and wire the room for me. I'm starting to think that I should maybe run 220v into the room since he's gonna do it? Any chance you could draw something up that would power my 3 600 watters on a timer, and then also have the ability to plug in 5 pumps (4.8 amp draw when they turn on) that are on a seperate timer set at 1 min. on 5 min. off? The ballasts I have are 120v. Is it possible to run a seperate box into the room with 2 seperate timers and still be able to have a couple outlets for Veg. and Misc? Thanks

This whole thread is more confusing than your wannabe wiring setups.

Just go buy a book from your local hardware store and wire to code.

It's not rocket science and getting advice around here may be good but it might be shite.

Kinda like getting sex advice in the school yard. It might set your libido on fire but you don't want the same reaction in your grow room! lol

Not to say that some of the above advice has no merit. Just to take it with a grain of salt and educate yourself for the best possible solution for your particular needs.

Grow safe and :peace: smoke bud not drywall.

This whole thread is more confusing than your wannabe wiring setups.

Just go buy a book from your local hardware store and wire to code.

It's not rocket science and getting advice around here may be good but it might be shite.

Kinda like getting sex advice in the school yard. It might set your libido on fire but you don't want the same reaction in your grow room! lol

Not to say that some of the above advice has no merit. Just to take it with a grain of salt and educate yourself for the best possible solution for your particular needs.

Grow safe and :peace: smoke bud not drywall.

Thanks for the advice. I have actually checked out several electrical/wiring books from the library and have not been able to find anything that logically (to me) explains or even describes a proper timer set up that will safely work with 2000 watts. I've found a few misc. threads where people have built their own timers with contactors etc. I would never take anyones advice that involves electrical wiring with out double checking the safety/code specs of the proposed design. I'm looking for the simplest,safest and cleanest set up without having to purchase a big money controller? :peace::thanks:

Labrat: I can attest that Hogs advice is good as is mine when it comes to electrical but you are right its better to have a book we wouldnt want any misinterpretations based off our advice and have him burn down his house...But like it has been stated "its not rocket science"

Hogdady: yes his ballast are 120v.

Simondetroit if you run a thick enough wire you can power as much as you want. In residential buildings 14ga wire is typical with one breaker per room... Problem is they will put maybe 10 or more outlets in every room now. Some people dont understand that its not about the amount of outlets they simply have that many because they are cheap and its convenient to have them everywhere. It Is all about the size of the wire and its ability to carry the amount of amperage you want to draw.
I had a friend and he had a big old 15 gal compressor he called to ask me why it wouldnt work because it worked fine at his other house. after a visit I discovered that his compressors draw was 15 amps(much more when cold) he was on a 15 amp breaker with 14ga wire just from trying to run his compressor the wires in the outlet box were charred because of a bad connection it easily could have caught fire.
His problem was that he didnt care he just want to push the magic On button and let the universe sort out the rest...That was until he saw the wires.
Sorry for the long post lol

Severe overkill with the 20 amp breakers.You can run 2 600watt 120vac on a 15 amp breaker or 3 400watt or 1 1000w. It won't hurt anything by going overboard with the electrical circuits but I thought you might want to know what is averagely used for 120vac circuits.

I certainly wouldn't call it severe overkill. 2-600's (magnetic ballasts) will pull 12-13 amps. 80% of 15 amps is 12 amps. You should design your system so that loads do not exceed 80% of circuit protection. :ganjamon:

Right and hes got 4 600watters not mention pumps and miscellaneous stuff.

as it is hes looking a 3 breakers minimum with 15 amp setup he wont be able to plug anything else into his light circuit because hell be running at max rating during start-up.

at least with 20 amp he has some leeway and its likely he needs to add circuits anyways who has 3 separate circuits wire to one room? not any house Ive seen. so hell if your gonna go through the effort to wire em up might as well make it bullet proof eh?
Plus if he ever wanted to expand he would have to wire up a another circuit...
With 20 amp circuit you can run 3 600watters each.

I dedicate whole circuits to lighting (Large voltage spike can fry a lightrail motor) and use a seperate circuit for other stuff. I would not want to pull anywhere close to 20 amps on a single circuit but its just a opinian. Better go with the high gauge wire lol. I am happy with the 15 amp breakers and I have a grow with 4 600s running on 2 15 amp circuits. I am hoping to upgrage to a 30amp 220vac next year but that means I need to change out a number of ballasts.

cc_d3_2.jpg

cc_d3_3.jpg

Are you looking for a timer to switch your lighting? And if so, did I read that your ballasts are 120v?

Yes, I am actually looking for a timer for the lights and a 2nd timer sustem to run the 4 pumps. I only have the 4 600 watt hoods and bulbs right now, so I could go with 220 in necessary.

Right and hes got 4 600watters not mention pumps and miscellaneous stuff.

as it is hes looking a 3 breakers minimum with 15 amp setup he wont be able to plug anything else into his light circuit because hell be running at max rating during start-up.

at least with 20 amp he has some leeway and its likely he needs to add circuits anyways who has 3 separate circuits wire to one room? not any house Ive seen. so hell if your gonna go through the effort to wire em up might as well make it bullet proof eh?
Plus if he ever wanted to expand he would have to wire up a another circuit...
With 20 amp circuit you can run 3 600watters each.

Sound good to me. If I'm gonna wire it I might as well go bigger

Back
Top Bottom