Please help 16 day old seedling is dying

The purple on the leaves seems to be advancing still..

Are temps, RH, and PH all within range?

Are you taking care not to over water? While seedlings I do not water until runoff, just enough water to keep the soil slightly moist.

Thank you for the quick reply Antics.

Temps are at 74 degrees
Humidity 57%
Water PH is at 6.4

Also you are right about that Purple it is advancing still but very very slow, The dark green has spread more and more new growth as of this morning.
photo25.PNG

I have been taking care not to over water but I have been watering until run off which may be to much for these little seedlings. I took the advice of all the others but from now on I will only water enough to moisten the soil.

When you're past the seedling stage, by all means water until runoff. For seedlings I'm always careful not to over water. I will either mist them throughout the day, or I just drizzle water into the soil. When pouring, I mist the surface of the soil first to break the water tension so the water can more readily, and evenly be absorbed into the soil.

The new green growth looks good. I'm just concerned about the purple that looks like it's spreading a bit. So we'll take it day by day :thumb:

Great idea on spraying the soil first to break the tension that will definitely save me from over watering because usually I have to wait for the water to penetrate the surface and in order to do so I usually apply more water.

Ill start spraying first then watering lightly, Both Eve (Auto NYC) and Jolene (Berry Bomb) are improving but that purple is concerning me also it still appears to be darkening but I am hopeing its just a side effect of the fresh nutes pushing through the leaves.

Ill have more pictures soon.

Damn man.. all your temps, humidity, ph are solid. The green appears to be advancing faster than the purple which is good, but I still see a small increase in the purpling.

What are the coldest temps when lights are off?
I assume the hottest temps are the 74 degree figure you posted?

Next, if you are PHing your water, I would say to stop for the next watering and see if it makes any difference. (This assumes a fairly balanced water PH of about 7.)

If its not temp, and it's not genetic, the only three things I know that cause the purpling (Im using it as a word) are nitrogen deficiency (under the leaves), Phosphorus deficiency, or sulfur deficiency.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Ok just did an early morning check Eve (Auto NYC) is looking great an Jolene (Berry Bomb) for the first time in a long time is looking better.

High Temps (74-77)
Low Temps (69-70)
PH (6.4 - 6.5)
Humidity (55% - 60%)

*Also you said to stop PH'ing the water for next time, well actually just use neutral water PH'ed at 7. Is that ok because my supply of water that I have on hold is all already PH'ed to 6.4. I would have to get more water and PH that at 7 and would such a change in PH put a strain on the plant? I don't want to hurt them when they are showing such great signs of improvement.

Eve (Auto NYC) (New Growth from center is starting to turn a nice green also)
photo_18.PNG

Jolene (Berry Bomb)
photo_25.PNG

dude, try bottled water for a week or something. and i know it's not a popular opinion, but if I was you, I'd give up on this batch and start over again. you've been at this a month, and they're still looking ill. if you start again, with bottled water, you can at least rule that out as a contributory cause. everything else seems OK, so the only variables left are the water and the seeds themselves - I've had some dodgy seeds that grew abnormal freak plants that I just yanked and started over on.

sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but I just feel you could have been further along in your grow if you'd rebooted a couple of weeks back :Namaste:

dude, try bottled water for a week or something. and i know it's not a popular opinion, but if I was you, I'd give up on this batch and start over again. you've been at this a month, and they're still looking ill. if you start again, with bottled water, you can at least rule that out as a contributory cause. everything else seems OK, so the only variables left are the water and the seeds themselves - I've had some dodgy seeds that grew abnormal freak plants that I just yanked and started over on.

sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but I just feel you could have been further along in your grow if you'd rebooted a couple of weeks back :Namaste:

I understand your opinion I really do, Only problem is I only purchased 4 seeds and as of right now I am left with 2, If I did reboot /(which in my opinion is not a bad idea seeing as how I could probably surpass the growth of these plants in a week or 2 now that the variables are correct)\ I would lose out on these 2 plants that are the only reason I have came so far in my growing skills and to me they are personal I want to see them both grow even if I added a month or two to the length it would of took for them to complete their growing cycle.

It has been 9 years since I have smoked and a few more months added on to that wont kill me. It will leave me with knowledge learned here from all of you that I will never forget.

If its not temp, and it's not genetic, the only three things I know that cause the purpling (Im using it as a word) are nitrogen deficiency (under the leaves), Phosphorus deficiency, or sulfur deficiency.

I've never seen deficiencies like this so early... so I was trying to cover everything else. But what do you think the chances are of 2 different strains showing the same deficiency so early?

I mean, you could be totally right man, but I'm not quite convinced yet.
Either way, we're going to figure this out!

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Ok just did an early morning check Eve (Auto NYC) is looking great an Jolene (Berry Bomb) for the first time in a long time is looking better.

High Temps (74-77)
Low Temps (69-70)
PH (6.4 - 6.5)
Humidity (55% - 60%)

*Also you said to stop PH'ing the water for next time, well actually just use neutral water PH'ed at 7. Is that ok because my supply of water that I have on hold is all already PH'ed to 6.4. I would have to get more water and PH that at 7 and would such a change in PH put a strain on the plant? I don't want to hurt them when they are showing such great signs of improvement.

Can you take a picture of how much water you use to water them? And if possible, the amount of water sitting next to the growing container for comparison?

What is the water source for watering them?

I'm sorry for all the questions man, and I probably asked some things more than once... I'm still learning myself, but I'm determined to help you get these plants growing like they should!

And I think you're right, lets not change anything yet since you're seeing some improvements still. :thumb:

I understand your opinion I really do, Only problem is I only purchased 4 seeds and as of right now I am left with 2, If I did reboot /(which in my opinion is not a bad idea seeing as how I could probably surpass the growth of these plants in a week or 2 now that the variables are correct)\ I would lose out on these 2 plants that are the only reason I have came so far in my growing skills and to me they are personal I want to see them both grow even if I added a month or two to the length it would of took for them to complete their growing cycle.

It has been 9 years since I have smoked and a few more months added on to that wont kill me. It will leave me with knowledge learned here from all of you that I will never forget.

I agree with you here brother. Whether you start with 4 seeds, or 40 seeds, I'm a firm believer in waste not- want not. I would do the exact same thing in your shoes, and I'd try to save them and nurse them back the health. It will likely not be the last time this happens, and if it does happen again, you'll be fully prepared.

I've never seen deficiencies like this so early... so I was trying to cover everything else. But what do you think the chances are of 2 different strains showing the same deficiency so early?

I mean, you could be totally right man, but I'm not quite convinced yet.
Either way, we're going to figure this out!

Im with you mate, when they are that young, they are generally surviving off their stored seed nutrients.
But, those are the only things that i know of that cause that discoloration. (besides the causes we listed of course =p )

I stopped halfway through typing this to do some more research, and learned something new. Root rot can evidently cause the purple to occur too. So now we have a whole bunch of possibles but no idea whats really going on.

I honestly think it is the grow medium.i know you just bought the soil but i really think thats what is giving you issues.

Ok first lets rule a few things out I do not believe soil to be an issue anymore, The new Happy Frog soil has done wonders so far and after doing hours of research I believe that soil is fine.

Overwatering can also be ruled out for now because I have stopped watering until every 8 days and when I did water I watered until 10% run off but that was before the soil change from now on I will spray the soil first then water only around the sides to make the soil moist and promote root growth.

(As far as your questions about the water Antics I can have pictures and an answer for you tomorrow showing what and exactly how much water I will use when I water tomorrow.)

I also want to rule out root rote because when I transplanted there were no signs of root rot on ether of the ladies, what I personally believe was that the old soil was holding so much moisture and had such a high PH level that not only could the plants not get nutrients their roots were so swelled from the moisture that they were Nute locking themselves and the deprivation of the needed nutrients caused both to purple. I have not seen any more progression of the purpling since the 2nd day of transplant.

I have been doing a lot of research on this new soil and watering and I think that your (Antics) idea of using just neutral 7.0 PH water for next watering isn't actually that bad of an idea it has been proven that Happy Frog soil has a naturally low PH because of the added Dolomite Lime and the Humic Acid so if I started watering with some neutral water and let the soil do the PH work that might actually increase my uptake of Nutrients.
(I will wait back for your response before doing this though)

Here is some updated pictures and you can see her progress.
Eve (Auto NYC) In this pic she is showing more growth and less drooping.
photo_19.PNG

In this picture we can see that not only has she been growing outward but she has been showing some great vertical growth.
photo27.PNG

Can you take a picture of how much water you use to water them? And if possible, the amount of water sitting next to the growing container for comparison?

What is the water source for watering them?

Ok sorry it took me a few hours here is the answer to your questions.

I usually fill a solo cup up to the first line then slowly pour into the plants container until I see run off start then I stop.

Here is a picture for reference.
photo_3395.JPG
photo_4313.JPG
photo_5211.JPG

**Remember I don't actually pour all of that in I just slowly pour what I can until it runs off.
(Don't mind the random boxes lol I use those to stack the plants on)

Here is the water I use. (I chose this water because it has Magnesium, Potassium, and Calcium in it so I can avoid a Cal-Mag deficiency)
photo_1549.JPG
photo_2482.JPG

No worries man, I had to go out and do some things earlier anyways.

Water amount looks alright.

You can find a lot of those minerals in normal hard water from your tap. I just suggest letting it sit out for at least 24 hours before using. The water you're buying is going to get costly later on. I've used tap water for every grow.

Lets follow these plants closely and watch over the next 1-3 days for signs of more purple, more green, more yellow, and we'll compare notes again when we see how they're doing.

:thumb:

No worries man, I had to go out and do some things earlier anyways.

Water amount looks alright.

You can find a lot of those minerals in normal hard water from your tap. I just suggest letting it sit out for at least 24 hours before using. The water you're buying is going to get costly later on. I've used tap water for every grow.

Lets follow these plants closely and watch over the next 1-3 days for signs of more purple, more green, more yellow, and we'll compare notes again when we see how they're doing.

:thumb:

Ok perfect so for tomorrow use neutral 7 PH'ed water or continue using the water I have PH'ed to 6.4?

Back
Top Bottom