Help! Seedling is dying or possibly dead

canniorcanti

whats wrong with my plant? :(

Hi all! This is my second time growing, so we are still trying to establish a peocess that works for us. I am doing out door, organic growing. Right now, my seedlings are in plantable pots, and are inside on a window ledge. The seedlings are about 2ish weeks old and two out of three are doing great! Unfortunately my third one isnt looking so good. I thought it was from under-watering, but that wasnt it. Anyone have any ideas? They are all planted in DR. Earth organic soil, they are all watered the same. It grew two leaves and was my fastest growing plant! Then the leaves shriveled up into the pod leaves and the plant is now drooped over. Is she still salvigable or is she down for the count? I cant figure out how to post a pic on my phone. Thanks.

Re: whats wrong with my plant? :(

Saw the uploaded picture..

Those pots are not plantable. They don't degrade and break down fast enough to let roots through. I'd ditch them and just transplant as normal.

Thoughts:
Could be overwatering. If the top of the soil isn't dry, you're watering too soon. Once the top is dry, wait even longer. Usually 1-3 more days.

Could be that the soil is too hot. Any yellow/tan/brown spots on the leaves, or tips?

And of course, the PH could be too high/too low.

Just click the link, and follow these instructions to add pictures to your posts: Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Hey guys! First off, this is only my second time growing. The fiest time was a success, but got pulled out too early due to where it was growing. I grow oranically and outside. I currently have 3 seedlings: Northern Lights, Florida Gold, and an Auto purple. My Northern lights was my fastest sprouter/grower, however two weeks after putting her into a pot, hee two leaves shriveled up and the plant drooped. It looks like the top is too heavy for the stem, so we tied her to a toothpick to try and help her. Is she still salvagable, or is she down for the count? I use Dr. Earth organic soil and water every other day. My other two plants are doing amazing! Although I didn't notice any height growth in the past few days, they are forming all their leaves. They all sit on the same window ledge and are given the same amount of water at each watering. I thought maybe it was underwatered since its leaves dried up, but that wasn't the problem. Any help offered is appreciated. Thanks.
20150519_2052551.jpg

Thanks for the reply! I didn't know that about the pots! They're supposed to be ones that you just put into the ground and they eventually turn into basically fertalizer. But I didnt know they didnt break down fast enough! Good lookin out! I figured out how to add pictures finally, so ill add it to this post. As far as the over watering, I thought I might actually be underwatering. I always make sure to go a kuckle deep into the soil to check it. But maybe I am over watering, because I was watering every other day. Ill wait it out a little next time and see because the plant looks like the top is too heavy for it to hold up. Thanks again!

Re: Help!!! Seedling is dying or possibly dead

At first glance I thought she was finished- but actually she looks ok- the leaves are perky and stem isn't withered. Overwatering or underwatering would be my first thoughts. Usually the former. Is there a way you can check this? Is the pot heavy feeling?
There's also a chance that there's nothing actually wrong with it at the moment. Stems can grow spindly and weak from reaching for the light if they are in a dark place, and if they don't experience any air movement. An oscillating fan or natural air currents force the stem to strengthen.

Weaslcrackers question is important ;)

just a guess that the seed is somewhat less viable then the other seeds for what ever reason and the frequent watering has water logged it.

let the containers dry out "more" before watering is my advice , assuming the pots are heavy / still moist when you have been watering...

I just recently saw a grower on here using them in his grow journal, and he ended up digging them up and taking them off, I'll see if I can find it.

Got it! Here's where he decided to replant: 2nd Grow - CFL's - Exodus Cheese - LST/SCROG - Advice Always Welcome!

And page 1-4 leads up to him removing them (and a few people suggesting he do so along the way) 2nd Grow - CFL's - Exodus Cheese - LST/SCROG - Advice Always Welcome!

I'd try to get out of the habit of shoving fingers and knuckles into the soil lol. That's where your roots live. Be nice to them :)

What I've gotten into the habit of doing is just lifting my pots. Lift them when the medium is dry to get an idea how they feel when dry. Then when the top layer of soil is completely dry, that's when I start lifting pots to see when I need to water. It doesn't take too long to get the hang of it either.

Now onto your plants. I see some stretching in the stems too, what kind of lights are you using, wattage(s), and how far are they? You might need to move them a little closer.

If the stem where it's bent is soft and pliable, I'd say it's likely an overwatering issue. If the stem is firm, just bend over, it's possibly caused by the stretch/weight of the leaves. Just touch the stem though, don't squeeze it or pinch it, it's small and fragile. You should use the same pressure you'd use when picking up broken glass that could cut you when handled. Enough pressure to feel it, not too much to get cut or scratched.

Every other day watering really depends on how much water you give. At this age I water only to keep the soil moist, never soaked, never dripping. I treat seedlings this young like I do seeds. Just moist soil. That's all they need. When they get a few more leaves, that's when I switch to the flood/dry watering system. One healthy watering, then no water at all until the soil is almost bone dry. Ideally you want to water before the plant wilts, so that's where lifting the pots comes in handy. Knuckle deep won't help on a 5 gallon pot.

:thumb:

Thanks for all the replies. I pretty much have a feel for how light the pot gets when they need to be watered again. Someone also said in another forum that these pots aren't anygood because when planted, they dont break down fast enough and the roots cant get through. After Weaselcracker mentioned about plants stretching for light, I realized that they arent in direct light 24/7. Just when the sun is out. I currently dont have any grow lights, since we are growing all by nature, but ill have to use a lamp for now I suppose, if it means saving my little girl. Hopefully we figured out that problem! Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom