Please help advise? Is pollen the culprit?

dbones

Hi guys, @Jackalope @Guy Cavallero @Pennywise and all.. I had two ok grows in my space but I hadn’t got my environment right so the buds weren’t great cuz I hadn’t fed properly, but not one seed!
Then I added another HPS to replace crappy CFLs and the heat got bad.
So third grow hermied but were lovely buds: I’d fed correctly and paid attention to temps & RH, gave them grow feed in veg and bloom feed in bloom (I used canna first 2 grows with hygrozyme & great white mychrozial, no pk etc: for third and present - both herms- I gave them Field Marshal nutes, a v good London co. tailored to local water & highly recommended, a&b for veg/a&b bloom, good nutes; plus hygrozyme, GrtWt mych’rzl, with a little silicon, calmag, and FMarshal bloom boost pk added at 4th week.
Took 2mnth break , left room all set up and then tried to solve heat prob
So this present grow shoulda been ok (tho the Two first weeks in veg were still hot so I added another intake and got it to 27degrees Celsius so the plants had bit of stress in beginning)
I have clones alongside fem seeds and blamed the clones for hermi, so what actually made them herm?
Coulda been that little stress OR?...
Could pollen from the previous herm grow have still been hanging around and that’s why this grow has hermied? How long do u reckon polls. Could be viable? I admit I didn’t clean very well - I shoulda cleaned every bit of the room with bleach and water, yes?
Please givussa bit of help and tell what you think: was this pollen in the room?
I got seeds in the buds now
Love to hear what you think.
Cheers, Bones

You just never know how long pollen will last. Pollen can travel miles in all kinds of weather and still pollinate a female plant. It might be hard to store but that doesn't mean it can't last for days on the wind.
You mentioned hermies. That is why most of us figured those seeds were caused by said hermie. If you didn't have a hermie in that crop and still ended up with seeded plants. Then it has to be excess pollen from the previous grow. For a crop to be fully seeded it takes lots of pollen. You will notice the hermie. That is not caused by a stray flower or 2.
Here is a lesson to be learned. Always fully clean a tent or closet between grows. Not only does this make for a cleaner place for your plants. It also clears the way for a clean slate for all new plants. Lots of things can hang around a grow space that could cause problems later.

A spray/mist of water will render pollen inactive. Doesn't require bleach. I would usually do it during lights off, but definitely with the movement fans running so that the plants dry off sooner.

You guys are stars man., confirm my fears that I’m a lazy sod who didn’t clean my friggin space well enough (or just plain badly!)
Funny; I was scratching my head until polly entered my thoughts..
oh well, here we go in a couple weeks:
The Big Clean!..
they’re six weeks in now and I’ve been in that little hot place with tweezers and a jug of water, plucking bollocks..
All is grist for the mill, my friends
“Nothing is easy but everything is simple”
Sounds like Lao Tzu but I think I just said that.. well.., tru ‘nuff
Appreciate your help, cheers
D

You just never know how long pollen will last. Pollen can travel miles in all kinds of weather and still pollinate a female plant. It might be hard to store but that doesn't mean it can't last for days on the wind.
You mentioned hermies. That is why most of us figured those seeds were caused by said hermie. If you didn't have a hermie in that crop and still ended up with seeded plants. Then it has to be excess pollen from the previous grow. For a crop to be fully seeded it takes lots of pollen. You will notice the hermie. That is not caused by a stray flower or 2.
Here is a lesson to be learned. Always fully clean a tent or closet between grows. Not only does this make for a cleaner place for your plants. It also clears the way for a clean slate for all new plants. Lots of things can hang around a grow space that could cause problems later.
And J’lope my friend: you are a well good man to have around: your advice is always golden

Yes it's been done. A mild bleach and water solution is good for killing spider mites and doesn't seem to harm the plants. But there are lots of other sprays that kill mites as well.
Then the next round of eggs hatch...

Pm’d You
Yes it's been done. A mild bleach and water solution is good for killing spider mites and doesn't seem to harm the plants. But there are lots of other sprays that kill mites as well.
Then the next round of eggs hatch...
okay.. probably stick with water!
Thanks man

Most of the recent polyhybrids will throw nanners at times, get seeds from a respected source and you should be fine. Seeds from a hermie could carry the trait but there’s only one way to find out.

Most of the recent polyhybrids will throw nanners at times, get seeds from a respected source and you should be fine. Seeds from a hermie could carry the trait but there’s only one way to find out.
So, do you suggest I go back to respected clone guy or go with London seed co ie; humboldt or Barnies
That geezers clones were sweet tbh

Make 100% sure they're mite-free. It took me years to get rid of the mites I got from gift clones. Buddy swore they had no mites.
Afterwards he said he 'used to have mites but thought he'd got rid of them'. I'd never do it again without an extensive quarantine. Or a source I trust 100%

Back
Top Bottom