Please help! I cannot figure out this nutrient deficiency - Pics

I'd give the res a strong dose of peroxide to clear that up. Then go back to beneficials if you want. That's a serious case of root fungus. You might need more aeration to keep it away after you get rid of it. What size is your air pump (usually in liters per minute or gallons per hour or something like that) and how many gallons of water do you use in your res?

Hydrogen peroxide and water in the res? I use a 10 gallon air pump with 10 gallons of water.

Damn the roots looked fine not too long ago :(

Beneficial bacteria if you can get hold of it I would use the recharge
I'd stop feeding any nutes just ph'd for now
If you have any root stimulate pour around 10/20ml around the top of your stem
Keep water levels 2inch below net pot
Block all light from entering res

I'd stop feeding any nutes just ph'd for now
If you have any root stimulate pour around 10/20ml around the top of your stem
Keep water levels 2inch below net pot
Block all light from entering res

Okay thanks a lot. hopefully I can save this plant...

With all due respect, beneficials aren't going to do anything at this point. The rot is in the advanced stages, bennies would be hopeless. They are better for preventing rot, not getting rid of it.

Cawwwrin, you need a chemical solution to this. You can use bennies or enzymes afterwards to keep it away if you want (It would be a good idea), but I would use hydrogen peroxide (2-3ml per gallon of 30%, 20-30ml per gallon of 3%) - with really light nutrients just to keep the ph stable. You could also use clear-rez, which is pretty much just very dilute pool shock. I would go with the hydrogen peroxide since it's more eco-friendly.

I have no doubt in my mind that messing around with bennies and enzymes at this point would be a huge waste of money. You need to take care of the rot first, before the good stuff will even have a chance of caching up to that.

Also, your air pump is important. It should be pumping around 4-5 LPM per gallon of water at the least - so it can hold the maximum amount of dissolved oxygen.

With all due respect, beneficials aren't going to do anything at this point. The rot is in the advanced stages, bennies would be hopeless. They are better for preventing rot, not getting rid of it.

Cawwwrin, you need a chemical solution to this. You can use bennies or enzymes afterwards to keep it away if you want (It would be a good idea), but I would use hydrogen peroxide (2-3ml per gallon of 30%, 20-30ml per gallon of 3%) - with really light nutrients just to keep the ph stable. You could also use clear-rez, which is pretty much just very dilute pool shock. I would go with the hydrogen peroxide since it's more eco-friendly.

I have no doubt in my mind that messing around with bennies and enzymes at this point would be a huge waste of money. You need to take care of the rot first, before the good stuff will even have a chance of caching up to that.

Also, your air pump is important. It should be pumping around 4-5 LPM per gallon of water at the least - so it can hold the maximum amount of dissolved oxygen.

I just picked up 30% H202 and HydroGuard from a local hydro store, as well as another pump with two more airstones. This should definitely help.

Leaves are wilting so I added some light nutes right now. The new root growth is nowhere near as brown if anyone is interested, I'll update with pics if I can manage to harvest before it gets worse.

You might consider watering over the top a couple times a day if you can. The fungus will persist on the exposed roots if they aren't treated with the peroxide as well.

That root rot is way advanced and even pure peroxide isn't likely going to save her now. It's all right up in the pot as well.

You'll have to cut most of the affected roots off and drench the pot with peroxide to have a hope of keeping her going to harvest. I've done battle with root rot a few times and it's never been as bad as what you have there. I have the 35% peroxide that I used to use at 0.5ml/L or 2ml/gal twice a week for preventing rot but when trying to get rid of it I mixed at 4x that and poured it through the net pots to flush it out followed by some RO water. I kept the nutes at a low level like 500ppm too.

Stuff grows fast and kills plants in a day or so. Peroxide will kill of the good bacteria in hydroguard too so you need to kill off the rot then add the HG.

Good luck!

L8r

Back
Top Bottom