• nute deficiency

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • root damage

• pot too small

• Total voters

patch

I apologize in advance if this is too long or has too many pics but I've read that the more info provided the easier it is to get help.

Today's date is March 14, 2014.

I built a grow box to get started and plan on using the entire room once I transplant to 5 gallon buckets.
Currently I have 6 plants in modified 2 liter pop bottles. All were started from seeds. Strain is Kush Skunk from Peak Seeds (Type/subspecies: Sativa/indica). Four plants were planted 2/10/14 thus 4 weeks 4 days old. Two plants were planted 2/20/14 thus 10 days younger. Plants are in veg. and I have no problem keeping them in veg. for as long as necessary.

The smallest of the older plant is 4", the tallest is almost 6". All of the older plants have 6 or 7 nodes.

I have not seen any signs of bugs.

Grow medium is Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I have thus far never given any Nutes as I read Fox Farms Ocean Forest has enough nutes itself until well after transplanting to 5 gallon buckets.

Initially I had problems with heat and humidity (close to or over 90 degrees F and 30 % or less humidity). At that time I was using six 100 watt equivalent CFLs with my fan blowing in. I have since reduced to 4 CFLs, added humidifying elements and changed my fan to blow out. As I'm writing this the temp is currently 72 degrees F and 55% humidity. If I add one CFL the temp goes upwards of 79 degrees F and humidity goes to between 40-50%. My tallest plant is 4" from the lights. (BTW the CFLs are "daylight" spectrum).

Also, Initially, I probably over-watered but have gotten a handle on that as well. The last two times I've watered was march 6th and then again on march 12th. Never saw any signs of under-watering such as drooping. I use a 1.5 cups of water which allows some water to drip out of the bottom.

I've Topped and FIMed after 5 or 6 nodes and the plants have responded and recovered well from that.
A pic or two should show that progress.

The problem is that some of the leaves on all 6 plants (even the younger ones) are curling under, canoeing and the tips and some edges are turning brown. And I haven't a clue what the problem is.

I tested the soil PH tonight and if I did it right and read it right the PH is slightly high but only like 7 to MAYBE 7.5

One other note - I thought I was doing good by watering with Sams Club purified water but I've come to realize that the water has "minerals added for taste". The bottle reads: "Purified water, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, salt* * adds a negligible amount of sodium".

I have no clue what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please help me save my girls !! Thanks a bunch in advance !!

Patch

IMG_20140313_230209.jpg
IMG_20140313_225940.jpg
IMG_20140313_225743.jpg
IMG_20140313_225521.jpg
IMG_20140313_225456.jpg
IMG_20140313_225429.jpg
IMG_20140313_225410.jpg
IMG_20140313_225343.jpg
IMG_20140313_225323.jpg
IMG_20140313_225229.jpg
IMG_20140313_225212.jpg
IMG_20140313_225158.jpg
IMG_20140313_225140.jpg
IMG_20140313_225115.jpg
IMG_20140313_225014.jpg
IMG_20140313_224943.jpg
IMG_20140313_224908.jpg
IMG_20140313_224830.jpg
IMG_20140313_224747.jpg
IMG_20140313_224611.jpg
IMG_20140313_224601.jpg
IMG_20140313_224537.jpg
IMG_20140313_224522.jpg
IMG_20140313_224426.jpg
IMG_20140313_224411.jpg
IMG_20140313_224350.jpg
IMG_20140313_224225.jpg
IMG_20140313_224103.jpg
IMG_20140313_223953_copy.jpg

Hi Patch and welcome to :420:
I'm going to agree with you that the problem is the water with the magnesium, potassium and salt. I'd suggest flushing them with some distilled water to get rid of that salt.

Your girls also look big enough for their 5 gallon buckets- having some new soil and room to spread out will help them recover.

Your post was perfect by the way! So much information and good pics really helps!:thumb:

Happy Growing!
:peace:

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.
Was hoping it was something fixable.
Can I flush right away or should i wait till next watering?

Thanks
Patch

If they were my girls I would flush today and transplant tomorrow. As big as they are they really need more room for those root systems. My first grow I had sickly girls in 1 lite pots. I wanted them healthy before transplanting so I kept waiting. Finally I gave up and transplanted and they literally exploded with new growth the very next day! I think your girls will do the same.:high-five:

With PH around 7,5 you might have a simple phosphorus lockout - too much magnesium and calcium wil do that to ya. I recognise these brown leaves and it's usually a PH problem.

Drop down with vinegar or lemon water and flush.

male sure containers have lots of drain holes. being inside that small enclosure, did not help, either. when you water, do it thourouly. then, nothing till they are in need. i still use the cheap, but effective, moisture probe, u can get at any gardening center. about 6.
also, your soil looks like it may not have enough pearlite. good drianage is a must. after mixing nutes, or just water, check ph with a good meter. 6.3 to 6.8. i aim for 6.5. your problems look like a combination of issues, as we have discussed. when i first stated, i had more problems than carter had pills. but, i found out, later, LESS IS BETTER. lol. and when you are new, feed only HALF of what it says to, regardless what you are using.

All of you are awesome! And this site is awesome!
Best of all I now feel confident I can turn this issue around.
Thanks so much for all the replies. I have a slight security/timing issue,
so I can't do the flush and transplant till Monday/Tuesday.
I've read about the lemon juice, so I'll do that with the flush for the PH.

Hopefully Monday I can get the room ready and do the flush. Tuesday I'll do the transplant.
I'll post pics to this thread of the progress that your advice has inspired.

Much Thanks To All and Happy Growing
Patch

All of you are awesome! And this site is awesome!
Best of all I now feel confident I can turn this issue around.
Thanks so much for all the replies. I have a slight security/timing issue,
so I can't do the flush and transplant till Monday/Tuesday.
I've read about the lemon juice, so I'll do that with the flush for the PH.

Hopefully Monday I can get the room ready and do the flush. Tuesday I'll do the transplant.
I'll post pics to this thread of the progress that your advice has inspired.

Much Thanks To All and Happy Growing
Patch

Okay, so i was able to do the flush either Fri. or Sat. (my brain is fried ). Flushed with distilled water with 1/8 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice per gallon of distilled water to try to drop PH a little. Was able to transplant to 5 gal. buckets Sunday. As mentioned earlier I thought stealth might be an issue but not so).

I'm gonna start another thread with this question as well cuz I have an important question and I don't know how these threads are followed. I'll try to post a link to this thread when I do so.

I'll post pics in a day or so. My girls are now occupying the whole room and are under 9 100 watt equiv.CFLs (14,400 Lumens).
Temp and humidity seems to be holding ,"meh", not bad. I'll update averages in a day or so when I update pics.

Anyway, my big question is: when and how much water should I give each bucket? I think part of my problem initially was over watering and I don't want to go there again now that I've transplanted. Also I'm currently boiling tap water for watering purposes. Reasoning is another of my problems, I think, was watering with purified water but it had "minerals added for taste". So I'm currently boiling water for humidifier and watering purposes

When I transplanted Sunday night I gave no watering, I sprayed the surface of the soil and the leaves of the plants with distilled water. It is now Monday night and I could use some advice on when and how much to water now.

here's the link to my original post with pics and my original problem: Please help. Leaves curling, tips turning brown. First grow, Newbie

As usual, thanks so much in advance any help you can provide :)

Patch

Hi Patch! You could probably just let the tap water sit out for 24 hours as that will let the chlorine dissipate if it's city water. Do you know the PH of your tap water? Just wondering cause in my town it runs over 8 much of the time.

I would water them deeply after transplanting and then not again for days. Stick your finger into the bucket and only water when the soil feels dry deep down. My youngish plants have gone up to 10 days between waterings. Just make sure you have lots of drainage holes in your pots- these girls like a lot of air around their roots.
Happy growing!

When Transplanting, I always water the Plant, Transplant, then re water the entire plant in its new container. This will help reduce transplant shock and unneeded stress on your ladies. As far as your Leaf tip burn and curl...Nute Burn. They are getting to many nutrients. I have the same issue on occasion because I have well water and it destroys RO systems really quickly. so I never feed with the recommended nute doseage on the bottle. I always feed at 1/2 strength for established mature plants and 1/4-1/3 strength for young plants. Now as far as your watering question, and how to tell when to water them. I stick with the old "Lift" method. Just after transplanting and before I water, I always "Lift" or tip the container to estimate the weight. I then water and do again. this gives me a good idea of the difference in weight so I know when to water. If they get to dry the leaves will hang sadly, and it will appear as it has died. Immediately water and within a couple hours they perk back up. I have had this happen a few times when I was away longer than I intended...

Back
Top Bottom