Please help advise? Is pollen the culprit?

Make 100% sure they're mite-free. It took me years to get rid of the mites I got from gift clones. Buddy swore they had no mites.
Afterwards he said he 'used to have mites but thought he'd got rid of them'. I'd never do it again without an extensive quarantine. Or a source I trust 100%
I thought I was that " trusted source" til you get them. Fkn horrible little beasts.

@dbones I'm guessing your hermies were 'nanners' (?). Do you have any pics of the issue?
Hey W’crack: actually as far as I can see I’ve got not one nanner.. just a lotta bollocks it seems... I’ve been plucking extensively cuz it’s just balls: if it were nanners I don’t think I’d be putting such effort in to pluck them, they’re a bit more of a force to reckon with from what I know from mates at least
Will post pics soon: my space is in the catacombs of old Victorian London (though not as grotty as sounds: it’s just down under but I have a fresh air source pumping in, and it is a good space: secret and cool, even if a bit small, but got all the electricity and water I need) but I have my window of hours to go there in their daytime so will get pics today .. cheers

@Jackalope, @Pennywise, @Guy Cavallero , @Weaselcracker et al...
hey guys: one other question you may have thoughts on: I really do think that my space is cool as fk and not bad for the plants (ie; the environment sounds like it could be stress for them but tbh it is very peaceful and the air I get is as good as a big city like this will provide) but it is eccentric and obviously incredibly old, surrounded by disused underground tube train lines and bomb shelters from WW2 (!)..
however, after this most likely pollen malarkey in there I’m thinking once these are out and I wanna prepare for new grow I’ll have to spray and wash every bit of it and every bit of equipment too, so I have two things to share with you: first I’m thinking after I wash all walls and everywhere I’m gonna have to clean the ballast, lights, all that, but I’m a bit unsure about the carbon filter I’ve got; it’s a big one - small jet engine size, y’know - and they’re damn expensive: would you guys think I’ll be okay washing it if I dry it well after? And then I was gonna take it to another place and let it run for a couple days to get all out of it.. sound right?
I’ve never washed a carbon filter before and wonder if water will ruin it? £300 they cost! I need a proper good one obviously..
and then back to the space: once I’ve washed all bits I still know that the nature of the space is old brickwork and pipes etc, so I may never really be able to get in every infinitesimal place where polly could hide..
So my plan is to buy what I used for the floor: rolls of nice thick plastic membrane layering - I got it on the floor now and it’s good quality: doesn’t tear, no holes, good stuff.. So, if I cleared the room and painted it all over with PVA (you know? It’s like a bonding glue - painter decorators use it diluted with water to kill stains coming through etc) so that would create a seal as best I can direct on the walls and Then I propose to get my glue gun out and stick that plastic sheeting on the floor, walls and ceiling, even the steps: creating almost a tent in itself and seal the meeting points of the sheeting with caulking/sealant like around bathtubs etc.. that should almost hermetically seal the whole room. It’ll be work but if it works out good it’ll be worth it I think. Whaddya think?
Thanks in advance!

@Jackalope, @Pennywise, @Guy Cavallero , @Weaselcracker et al...
hey guys: one other question you may have thoughts on: I really do think that my space is cool as fk and not bad for the plants (ie; the environment sounds like it could be stress for them but tbh it is very peaceful and the air I get is as good as a big city like this will provide) but it is eccentric and obviously incredibly old, surrounded by disused underground tube train lines and bomb shelters from WW2 (!)..
however, after this most likely pollen malarkey in there I’m thinking once these are out and I wanna prepare for new grow I’ll have to spray and wash every bit of it and every bit of equipment too, so I have two things to share with you: first I’m thinking after I wash all walls and everywhere I’m gonna have to clean the ballast, lights, all that, but I’m a bit unsure about the carbon filter I’ve got; it’s a big one - small jet engine size, y’know - and they’re damn expensive: would you guys think I’ll be okay washing it if I dry it well after? And then I was gonna take it to another place and let it run for a couple days to get all out of it.. sound right?
I’ve never washed a carbon filter before and wonder if water will ruin it? £300 they cost! I need a proper good one obviously..
and then back to the space: once I’ve washed all bits I still know that the nature of the space is old brickwork and pipes etc, so I may never really be able to get in every infinitesimal place where polly could hide..
So my plan is to buy what I used for the floor: rolls of nice thick plastic membrane layering - I got it on the floor now and it’s good quality: doesn’t tear, no holes, good stuff.. So, if I cleared the room and painted it all over with PVA (you know? It’s like a bonding glue - painter decorators use it diluted with water to kill stains coming through etc) so that would create a seal as best I can direct on the walls and Then I propose to get my glue gun out and stick that plastic sheeting on the floor, walls and ceiling, even the steps: creating almost a tent in itself and seal the meeting points of the sheeting with caulking/sealant like around bathtubs etc.. that should almost hermetically seal the whole room. It’ll be work but if it works out good it’ll be worth it I think. Whaddya think?
Thanks in advance!
Oh, one other thing (and sorry I’m picking your brains like this but I got to: you’re all the best source I have now for good experience and knowledge; you’ll be waking up to these posts from me in your own time zones I guess! Always worth the wait though!): So the other q is about the fact that even with first two unhermed grows I’ve had consistently low yields.. like pretty pitiful tbh., I’ve put it down to learning curve (as said, 1st two were before I’d learned about real proper nutrition & all the elements that make good quality, like even the last Herme grows I’ve had which had seeds but good taste etc nice buds) but I think I’m crowding them a bit. That would be an issue yes? I’d probably get a lot more from five plants really well tended to and treated well than ten plants fighting for space under scrog, am I right? I’m expecting obvious agreement but someone may have another thought on the low yields: I mean they’re a bit crowded but not mega crowded tho they do touch and get amongst each other - I look forward to your replies
Thanks!

Just spray everything with water to kill the pollen, pretty simple. 5 plants could yield more than you could smoke before your next grow. Use 3-5 gallon size pots and veg 6 weeks before you flip. Scrog would be optional.

I'm with Penny.....
I would spray everything down with water in the very least. I would definitely replace my outer cover for my carbon filter, but I wouldn't "wash it", never heard of anyone doing that...... although it can't really hurt, it's an aluminum case, filled with activated charcoal. Some are even refillable when they get old.

I know what you're talking about the 6 mil plastic, and I can certainly understand why you would want to do that. Personally I just don't think it's that necessary once you have deactivated it all with water. That being said, every couple of rounds, I remove everything from my tents and wash them down anyway. Nothing like coming into your grow space and having it clean...... also "clean" is a relative term LOL.

Low yield could be so many things. Strain/genetics, certainly environment, insects, stress......you name it. The 1st few grows are to tighten up your space. No more "that'll do"......dial in your space and your yields will increase.

It's still happening in my own space too. I didn't put plants in it til January. I thought I had everything figured out..... Boy was I wrong. I continuously find myself perched on a ladder above my girls trying to adapt as my weather patterns change here and the temperature is increased. I think AC is an absolute foregone conclusion at this point. Not a day passes where I'm not tweaking my grow room.

I'm cool with that...... how many times have I said "I'm on cruise control" when I really meant "snoring boring" LMAO.

Just spray everything with water to kill the pollen, pretty simple. 5 plants could yield more than you could smoke before your next grow. Use 3-5 gallon size pots and veg 6 weeks before you flip. Scrog would be optional.
So Pennywise, it’s really that simple eh?
Even in a warren of old bricks jutting out, pipes running above, so many books and crannys, and the ambience of old industrial Victorian London? I guess if water will kill all the pollen I could drench the whole space and stick my dehumidifier on for a while.. u think?
Again Thanks like Banks, man.. all y’all are darned reliable and make more sense than anyone I know in person (plus I’m very leery of talking to anyone about my biz: even those in the game in my real world social set! For me it’s like fight club: you don’t talk about it!)
I'm with Penny.....
I would spray everything down with water in the very least. I would definitely replace my outer cover for my carbon filter, but I wouldn't "wash it", never heard of anyone doing that...... although it can't really hurt, it's an aluminum case, filled with activated charcoal. Some are even refillable when they get old.

I know what you're talking about the 6 mil plastic, and I can certainly understand why you would want to do that. Personally I just don't think it's that necessary once you have deactivated it all with water. That being said, every couple of rounds, I remove everything from my tents and wash them down anyway. Nothing like coming into your grow space and having it clean...... also "clean" is a relative term LOL.

Low yield could be so many things. Strain/genetics, certainly environment, insects, stress......you name it. The 1st few grows are to tighten up your space. No more "that'll do"......dial in your space and your yields will increase.

It's still happening in my own space too. I didn't put plants in it til January. I thought I had everything figured out..... Boy was I wrong. I continuously find myself perched on a ladder above my girls trying to adapt as my weather patterns change here and the temperature is increased. I think AC is an absolute foregone conclusion at this point. Not a day passes where I'm not tweaking my grow room.
Cheers Guy: I’m afraid my (fibre, your talking about?) carbon filter cover came loose at the back and I didn’t notice for ages so that’s not good. That’s one of my main concerns now once I’ve washed the room down, is the filter: pollen in it perhaps
As I said taking it somewhere else and running it for a couple days but I have heard of ppl washing down the filter gently (though one guy I know has a bit of a rusty filter now but I’d dry mine well if did that!)
You think that could work?
Also the plastic sheeting idea appeals to me in one way but then is a helluva lotta work so hmmmm. Also an AC is expense I don’t have and I’m not stealing electricity at this time - I found if you pay for it they don’t bother you but if you tap in and nick it like I’ve done before then you can get in trouble bad. (My space is close enough to my music studio that I can hook into that but I had an AC , it cost a bomb and broke in the end!!!)
Thanks loads man : for all ur input!!

Good production usually comes last. Keeping plants happy for the whole grow is the main thing. My first grows produced about a 1/4 ounce a plant and I was happy. It all comes in time.
Yes Jackalope, I’m learning to be gentle and sweet to them: admittedly I can be a wee bit heavy-handed/clumsy at times but I’m learning to be more zen!

Below are various pictures of what has become a very much not needed monumental fuck-up for me. For fuck’s sake the Green Crack plants look male now ..
I’m well pissed off with them but the cheese look and smell pretty damn nice really
Hi not so much, eh?

Hey W’crack: actually as far as I can see I’ve got not one nanner.. just a lotta bollocks it seems... I’ve been plucking extensively cuz it’s just balls: if it were nanners I don’t think I’d be putting such effort in to pluck them, they’re a bit more of a force to reckon with from what I know from mates at least
Will post pics soon: my space is in the catacombs of old Victorian London (though not as grotty as sounds: it’s just down under but I have a fresh air source pumping in, and it is a good space: secret and cool, even if a bit small, but got all the electricity and water I need) but I have my window of hours to go there in their daytime so will get pics today .. cheers
Hello Weaselcracker (incidentally I once knew a Stoatmangler..)!
The pics are here .. down below or up above but in the thread!
Cheers!

Re the nanners vs balls comment- IMO you have it backwards. I've never successfully kept a plant with balls from growing more of them, not that I generally try anymore. If I've seen anyone else do it.... maybe extremely rarely. Usually they just keep coming. So to speak. They produce a lot of pollen.
Nanners on the other hand I find quite controllable. Also they don't produce much pollen.

I don't think the leftover pollen is as much of an issue as you think. It tends to clump together if the air is moist at all. It's generally hard to preserve even if you want to, because in order to be able to do it's thing it has to be able to float through the air. Once it lands on the floor it's not so likely to get up again and start floating around. Any little water mist will render it useless.

Re the plastic.... sounds like a lot of work. Doesn't hurt to clean the grow though.
If you're putting in plastic then use white stuff. But sometimes white paint is easier in the long run and works better.

I wouldn't bother taking down the filter.

Re the nanners vs balls comment- IMO you have it backwards. I've never successfully kept a plant with balls from growing more of them, not that I generally try anymore. If I've seen anyone else do it.... maybe extremely rarely. Usually they just keep coming. So to speak. They produce a lot of pollen.
Nanners on the other hand I find quite controllable. Also they don't produce much pollen.

I don't think the leftover pollen is as much of an issue as you think. It tends to clump together if the air is moist at all. It's generally hard to preserve even if you want to, because in order to be able to do it's thing it has to be able to float through the air. Once it lands on the floor it's not so likely to get up again and start floating around. Any little water mist will render it useless.

Re the plastic.... sounds like a lot of work. Doesn't hurt to clean the grow though.
If you're putting in plastic then use white stuff. But sometimes white paint is easier in the long run and works better.

I wouldn't bother taking down the filter.
Wow, Weaselcracker: Really ? Perhaps I do have that wrong??! Revelation though..
I always thought nanners started throwing out pollen straight away before exploding
But I have loads less experience then all of you guys and can easily believe I’ve got it wrong... I’ve been wrong too many times before to have any ego or conceit about it;
I’ve spent lots of my life touring and traveling (I’m a musician: been my career most my life: since my accident [i was hit and run on my motorcycle and fell 22feet .. wheelchair for two years all that shite.. told I’d never walk again but I that was one thing I got right ; I knew I would and I walk pretty fine now, several years later - I use a stick sometimes and have a bittuva limp but it’s okay.. not dead.. yet..] ..)
So I’ve got into this and love it but ain’t got it anywhere near right yet. With all you guys’ advice I already feel I know lots more than a month ago!

Back
Top Bottom