Pollen question

kahoona

hi...how long do flowering buds stay open for fertilization once the pollen starts flying. do they shut down and go into production of buds or seeds ? tia.

Good morning my friend.
hi...how long do flowering buds stay open for fertilization
Length of time depends on the strain.
Pistils appearing signals the start of viability.
Once they turn red and start crinkling in it’s over.
once the pollen starts flying. do they shut down and go into production of buds or seeds ? tia.
When pollen flys by it in theory sticks to the stigmas poking out of the calyx or Bract.
Once it touches that stigma it’s the start of the seed making process.
Buds form to make seeds.
In the fall they produce calyxes for the purpose of continuing the family line.
Calyxes bunched together form your buds.
Those calyxes or Bracts form seeds inside when pollinated.
Those seeds carry on the female and male characteristics combined.
Did that help at all?
Here is a pic.

A3D2536F-0FFE-403F-B35C-DF3E5840CE68.jpeg

how long do flowering buds stay open for fertilization once the pollen starts flying. do they shut down and go into production of buds or seeds ?
Cannabis plants are generally one sex, either male or female and is a wind-pollinated plant. The flower buds will not be like those on many plants that depend on insects to help with the fertilization.

The Cannabis flowers are not like typical garden flowers so they do not open up with colorful petals meant to attract bees and other pollinator insects. Each bract will produce the stigma or the "two hairs" that lead down. If a Cannabis pollen lands on one of those stigma then within seconds the seed is fertilized and those hairs shut down.

If no pollination happens the stigma will eventually shut down anyway. They will turn reddish brown and crumble up. In the meantime the plant is continuing to produce new bracts which is how the buds continue to get larger. Eventually the plant will stop producing all those new bracts with just an occasional one showing up. This is when most growers figure the plant's flowering cycle is over and harvest time is coming up.

Thanks fellas. I think i have a grasp on how its done. Was just wondering how long the female will accept pollen to make seed. So hypothetically she will not be able to make seed say after day 50 or 60 ? She will continue to make bud and not seed then ?

Thanks fellas. I think i have a grasp on how its done. Was just wondering how long the female will accept pollen to make seed. So hypothetically she will not be able to make seed say after day 50 or 60 ? She will continue to make bud and not seed then ?
Correct. There is a window, probably week 3-5 where seed production would be optimal. Anything pollinated after that, probably won't develop as far as seeds go. Early pollination is fine, but into week 3, there are generally more pistols to accept pollen. Better seed production.

Good Day, I have never grown Photoperiod Male plants, only Autoflowering Males, I always wondered if Male Photos start to create there pollen sacs when triggered by 12 hours of day and 12 houts of night same as a female? I looked and read allot on Male plants and could not find answer. I am sure I will get a quick reply, just got to scratch that itch to know. Cheers

Males tend to stretch faster and taller than the females after the flip and start producing pollen earlier than females produce stigmas as well. Don't want to miss an opportunity, I guess. :laughtwo:

They seem to show preflowers in veg later though, for some reason. :hmmmm:

Hey, once a flower has been pollinated, the process moves quite quickly. The flowers typically remain receptive to pollen for about 1-3 days. After that, they’ll start to close up and switch into seed production mode.

The exact timeline can vary based on the strain and environmental conditions, but the general process is the same. Once a flower has been successfully fertilized, it will focus its energy on producing seeds rather than developing further as a bud.

Hope this helps, and happy growing!

the reason i ask is because i saved two clones from the apple betty mom i had. i sprayed one with sts to turn her to a him. they are the same age and both flipped the same day. i sprayed once at flip and again one week later. they are in a 4x4 tent. the pollen was to say the least copious. i saved 7 small vials of pollen for anyone that needs some. the other clone is just for seed. i tossed the male out tonite as the red hairs on the female are retracting so i shouldnt need him anymore. i keep reading that the male matures faster than the females and i only have a few days to pollinate her. i just left them together till i saw the red hairs shriveling up. i just wanted some answers to questions i had and couldnt find . another 6 weeks and should have a bunch of seeds. the six i have in another area are just about ready to come down so i was worried about pollinating them . once all the plants are done then its getting a good cleaning anyway. thanks.

the reason i ask is because i saved two clones from the apple betty mom i had. i sprayed one with sts to turn her to a him. they are the same age and both flipped the same day. i sprayed once at flip and again one week later. they are in a 4x4 tent. the pollen was to say the least copious. i saved 7 small vials of pollen for anyone that needs some. the other clone is just for seed. i tossed the male out tonite as the red hairs on the female are retracting so i shouldnt need him anymore. i keep reading that the male matures faster than the females and i only have a few days to pollinate her. i just left them together till i saw the red hairs shriveling up. i just wanted some answers to questions i had and couldnt find . another 6 weeks and should have a bunch of seeds. the six i have in another area are just about ready to come down so i was worried about pollinating them . once all the plants are done then its getting a good cleaning anyway. thanks.
Good Day, Kahoona, sounds like you really liked your apple betty, If I find a strain that i think is perfect for me I am going to reproduce what you have just described. I like all aspects of this technique, did you read about it on here? The pollen you have collected if stored correctly will last a long time, I have some from a Male auto in my fridge that is still viable from 2 years ago, I put a little bit of rice in with it and made sure to double seal IOT avoid condensation, Jar in Jar. Thanks to all for the information, my guess was proven right. Cheers P.S. dont turn the fan on by accident.

budshark...everything i know i gleaned from 420 magazine. its all here. im going to have a ton of seeds in about 5-6 weeks. i tried once with coloidal silver but did not have any luck making pollen but the sts method works awesome. i made a ton of gorilla glue seeds this way so i think im doing it right. its amazing what you can do with one seed.

Kahoona, I agree, one seed, no matter the type or gender, never stuck in a corner. I have 5 autoflower strains that I have developed with the pollen from an autoflower male Jack Herrer, they are all very nice Sativa Dominant Hybrids, with great harvest potentials, in big pots they yield 300 grams per plant of very nice buds outside in 10 to 12 weeks. Its all about the fun of growing. Cheers

The term sinsemilla is grown without seeds where by removing access to pollen the female cannabis plant increases its resin production and cannabinoid potency in increasing efforts to trap pollen. The white pistils which extend from the female cannabis flower are where the flower is pollinated and seeds from under the calyx. When attempting to create feminized cannabis pollen with silver thiosulfate solution i observe day 21 of flower before female pollen sacks are formed and viable pollen forms. Silver Thiosulfate Solution will only cause the branches exposed to the solution to form female pollen sacks, the rest of the plant may be used to produce seeds. No part of any plant exposed to silver thiosulfate may be safely consumed. The light coloured airy seeds are infertile and easily discarded.

Well done! Will you test grow your seeds in a Grow Journal?

here they are dried and cleaned. the first pic was just to see how many there were. i chopped it down on new years.

appbett.jpg
That's a nice haul, @kahoona ! We'll done. Glad you like the strain since, properly stored, you have seeds for a lifetime (or at least quite a while ;))

Back
Top Bottom