Prairies Anyone?

June 1st but they were already 10 inches tall by then. At the end of September they were just over 6 feet tall.

Ive read that "Early" strains are decent, autoflowers are probably the best bet but yield is lower. I was still curious if anyone had specific strains that were tried and true.

if you're going to be growing exclusively outdoors then autos are the best way to go with such a short season. With some training they can be really heavy yielders though.

if you're going to be growing exclusively outdoors then autos are the best way to go with such a short season. With some training they can be really heavy yielders though.
I disagree. You can get fantastic yields outdoors with regular seeds. Genetics are everything! Even with a short season.. and wet/cold/crappy alberta weather I've seen massive plants outdoors with no training.

I disagree. You can get fantastic yields outdoors with regular seeds. Genetics are everything! Even with a short season.. and wet/cold/crappy alberta weather I've seen massive plants outdoors with no training.

A massive (let's say 6') plant doesn't guarantee a good yield. I've seen an untrained 6' plant next to a trained 2' plant and difference is phenomenal.
There's no doubt a 6' photo fem can be grown in Canada (and yes I'm in alberta).

Autos take 90 days (give or take 10). With minimal - and I'm talking bending a few branches down over a few weeks with rubber wire or pipe cleaners, nothing fancy - training you could get a tonne of colas and a reduced harvest time.

A massive (let's say 6') plant doesn't guarantee a good yield. I've seen an untrained 6' plant next to a trained 2' plant and difference is phenomenal.
There's no doubt a 6' photo fem can be grown in Canada (and yes I'm in alberta).

Autos take 90 days (give or take 10). With minimal - and I'm talking bending a few branches down over a few weeks with rubber wire or pipe cleaners, nothing fancy - training you could get a tonne of colas and a reduced harvest time.
I agree size isn't everything. That one tree gave my aunt 3 pounds. Yes it was only like 15% ish thc but with that quantity she was able to make some great Christmas baking. Personally I have never seen a 2 foot plant that made more bud than a 6 foot plant, but I haven't seen that many outdoor plants. And yes I realize if a plant is 2 feet tall and 50 Sq ft across it will yield massive.

"only" %15?

lol damn we're getting so spoiled with available genetics these days I guess. Even %15 still sounds decent to me. Mind you I'm getting old so who knows.

I agree size isn't everything. That one tree gave my aunt 3 pounds. Yes it was only like 15% ish thc but with that quantity she was able to make some great Christmas baking. Personally I have never seen a 2 foot plant that made more bud than a 6 foot plant, but I haven't seen that many outdoor plants. And yes I realize if a plant is 2 feet tall and 50 Sq ft across it will yield massive.

I should also say, that if training and maximizing yield aren't the goal then there's no wrong way to go about it.
Sometimes people just wanna put seeds in soil, grow some bud an smoke it.
I'm guilty of getting a little technical at times.

I've gotten my hands on some auto fem great white shark seeds which I'll be putting outdoors. I've been speaking with a couple breeders and most don't carry anything that finishes mid September. Autos don't yield as much but I'm hoping with 10 I'll get a decent yield.

I'm in Calgary also,been growing for 2 years now (the only thing I've ever grown) and I have a lot to learn and research.But every time I grow a new strain I learn something new.Right now I'm growing indoors but this year I planned on growing some Northern Lights outdoors on my parents land but the seeds I ordered didn't get here until now.They're all auto's but would there be enough time still for me? The farm is about 45 miles northeast of Drumheller.

Just saw this thread! In Southern Alberta. Wife and I are both fully legal.

Only growing inside in DWC. Finishing up two White Widows and two Blueberries and then running 2x OG Ghost Train Haze and 5x Pink Kush all from clone!

I'm from alberta currently growing a few plants outdoors got a journal going to document my progress. living near Edmonton right now hoping I don't get took out by frost before I harvest but that's still a few months away hopefully

wish you luck, i grew outdoors near Edmonton and I learned my lesson and went with autos which are already flowering. Last years early Oct frost wrecked everything.

thanks anduin ill need some luck for sure but I have a journal going so if I make it to harvest it will be documented. I know some people who say they grew outdoors here either way I thought id give it a shot right

I'm all about trying, next year I'm hoping to try regular seeds again but from strains that are known to finish quickly up north. What strain are you growing?

I'm growing bubba kush from CKS..
g318.jpg

I have a grow journal just don't know how to link it to my signature yet

Congo
IMG_084239.JPG

Auto Great White Shark
IMG_084039.JPG

Auto Great White Shark 2
IMG_084145.JPG

This was from about a week ago where now the Auto plants are hanging and drying. First pic is a Congo sativa which hasn't even started flowering. All plants were put in at the same time around June 1 and the autos took about 75 days to finish. Some of them did get hit with brown mold as the area theyre grown in is hidden so well that there isn't enough air flow. I'm approximating that I lost about 20% of the cannabis to it. I'll need to try a more resistant strain for next year but I'm happy I was able to get something from outdoor growing this year.

Back
Top Bottom