Pro-Marijuana Tax Campaign Launched

Truth Seeker

Most businesses would never ask for a steep tax increase.

But most businesspeople don't sell a product that would have landed them in prison less than a year ago.

A group of marijuana entrepreneurs and state legislators got together Wednesday to launch the campaign for Proposition AA, which asks voters to impose heavy taxes on recreational marijuana.

Proponents say the taxes are necessary to legitimize the industry and pay for inspectors and regulators to keep the business clean.

"This is not only about protecting communities, but it's about making sure marijuana pays its own way," said Rep. Jonathan Singer, D-Longmont, who sponsored the bill that put Prop AA on the ballot.

Last November, voters legalized the use of marijuana by people age 21 and older.

Legislators now are asking for a 15 percent wholesale excise tax and a 10 percent retail sales tax on pot. Most or all of the excise tax will go to school construction, as required by the 2012 vote.

The 10 percent sales tax will be earmarked for government inspectors and health programs.

Last week, the U.S. Department of Justice announced it would not sue Colorado or crack down on its pot shops as long as the state is operating a strict regulatory system.

Brian Vicente, head of the pro-Prop AA Committee for Responsible Regulation, said the Justice Department announcement makes it all the more important to pass the tax.

Vicente said his group is fundraising and does not yet have an advertising budget. The state's largest union, United Food and Commercial Workers Local 7, has contributed $10,000 — the campaign's only sizeable donation.

Rob Corry, a prominent marijuana lawyer, has registered an opposition campaign named No Over Taxation. As of Tuesday, it reported just $700 in contributions, all from Corry's family and workers in his law office.

The last publicly available poll on the topic was in April, when Public Policy Polling found 77 percent support for the taxes.

Clipping.png

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: durangoherald.com
Author: Joe Hanel
Website: The Durango Herald 09/04/2013 | Pro-marijuana tax campaign launched

So.... Is this for Colorado, or Washington?
Washington is already going to levy crazy high taxes at the grower level, at the processor level and the retail level. and any given entity can ONLY work one level. The goal was to make it equal to the illegal street price/ legal MMJ pricing.
Both are a mistake in my view.
IMHO, besides a "general" 10-15% general business tax, any addition al taxes should only cover costs CAUSED by legal pot, ie if "addiction", crime, police enforcement or medical costs ?(say from uninsured stoner drivers) are costing money, buyers should pay. The main idea should be to lower the price to the point the illegal grows/smuggling/fake or "spiked" product just isn't worth doing.
And by limiting entities to a single level in the business prevent the small specialty growers from developing along the lines of the brewing/wine/spirits/ coffee industries that have done so well here.
There is/should be/could be a huge demand to stop by your local "brew pub" like business with a chance to talk/smoke with the growers/ curing guys and small retail business to pay more (including tax) for a premium product with seed to ash provenance OR choose go to megamart for low prices.
They can keep the megamart from dominating by limiting total poundage or taxing" non-micro's" at a higher rate as they do with brewers wineries and distillers.

This just in folks!! The fed`s see the dollars to be made compared to what it spends in "control" over this Gift from God!! Check this out as of this afternoon from Dept. of Justice in Washington D.C.

Feds seek to legalize marijuana industry banking

They understand this would prevent sales taxes / funds from sales as not being consider drug trafficking funds. So FDIC banks could process the funds and not be at risk!! Remember in "Scarface" when they walked into the banks with duffel bags of cash!! They will play both sides of the coin so to say, collecting cash from YES states. Plus taking in fines and confiscated everything from NO states.
I am a "rec" smoker not in any medical need for LEGITAMITE use ( thank God ). I would love to see the Fed`s open this up nation wide for those who have medical issue`s. The yield off 2 to 3 moderate home / indoor grown plant would fill the needs of most med user`s if a legit dispensary was not available. Also I am getting old and a single bong hit is all I need to round out the work day and still use the remote for the TV!!
This just show it is a matter of time!! ...PEACE..... :thumb:

:420:

As annoying as it is, tax revenues are going to be the biggest driver of legalization reforms, not just in the US but world wide. So many countries around the world in dire shit financially, once they see them Colorado and Wash state tax bucks roll in, you will literally see the dollar signs (or whatever symbol they used for local currency) forming in politicians eyes around the world.

Actually there was a required tax stamp back then TO CULTIVATE hemp and in 1936-37. The Fed`s stopped issuing them. So in order to sell your crop you needed a valid stamp. So it became like "moon shine" or cigarette`s with out a stamp. William Hurst had so much cash invested in 5 major industries and 3/4`s of the Washington big shot / law makers. Felt the easy in which to get hemp was going to cut his profits, he had a monopoly that was guarded by politicians. Just as the pharmaceutical company's have today. So like free "crack" to a whore, the Fed`s got on there knee`s!! As a textile component in those days was it`s wealth with male plants in more demand then the female`s nuggets. It is basically an "old blue law " with an incorrect scheduling to instilled fear and scare people from it. We as a nation were growing commercially 200X as much as the "War on Drug" generals estimate is being smuggled in. We still grow ( illegally ) 10X as much as Mexico try`s to sneak in!! They know it would need to be controlled / THC levels structure the price like scotch-- 8 year/12 year/ 25+ and so on. If they let the states do the dirty work then they can just come in and modify what they feel is the best solutions and how to line there pockets. I cant see some one who cant afford heath care or the HOM / deductibles or a legal prescription. That is in pain or has a legit MM need. Not a chronic ingrown toe nail or just wants to get high. And the penalties for growing 2 to 3 plants and having it in your position are ludicrous. Spaced out 1 plant every 2 months and grown indoors a MM user can supply themselves all year with 3 plants. With small dispensary amounts to supplement. Money talks and bullshit walks or gets hand cuffed!! It is like being a commercial fisherman and needing to show a valid fishing license to sell your catch. They wont give you one and if you intend to sell fish guest what. Hiding a dead fish is like hiding a pound of skunk nuggets.!!!! You don't have to look to hard to find it!! ...Peace..... :thumb:

Maybe it's because it's 3:53 am and can't sleep due to back pain, but does this article mention in it where TF this is being suggested at ? I get grumpy when in pain , but DUDE give us pertinent details in your articles PLEASE !!!!

The pertinent details and info you feel you need to fill your needs I don't have. I was replying to post by GhanjaLocks about tax`s that was posted on here 9-09-2013. It has been removed or relocated, it was listed as #5 in the list just below nobody YOU knows post, when I posted this. My post was to him about his posted info and that is were TF it is pertained. So DUDE I don't know how I can help you, but hope the Fed`s get off there ass`s soon. With FDIC banks allowed to provide service to any legit retailer and not being considered drug trafficking / racketeering as selling of marijuana is still Federally illegal. Before 1936 you could purchase a tax stamp for you to grow and sell your crop as a commodity. It was accepted by the US Government as a cash crop. Corn as a food is a commodity, distilled it is illegal. Pot as a medical application is illegal because lazy, greedy bastards that want to "get high".
:thanks:

It`s all good and my bad! I get a little pissy myself and find I need to remind myself I am not as wise as I would like to be. Meaning, to judgmental... like you should be able to understand what I mean. What makes perfect sense to one is like what the f**k is he talking about to others. So with Gods help and time I asked for understanding and less excuses... PEACE.....!!

Back
Top Bottom