Problem With Seeds or Supplier

hydro8pod

Hey Everyone.

First of all, thanks for allowing me to become a part of this forum. It is truly filled to bursting with helpful information, and for that I truly am grateful.

Im a little disappointed for my first post to be such a negative one, but here goes....

I purchased some seeds from a reputable organization, which I will not name because as of yet, no communication has been received.

I purchased 10 seeds, and with these received some free seeds also, which is always nice!!. I have been growing for over 20 years now, and always had good success at this early stage...anyway....

I planted the 10 seeds, as well as the free ones, and so far, 2 of the 10 are looking good, the other 8 however have died a horrible death. They only grew about an inch, turned brown and kicked the bucket. They looked like mulch if that's even a word.... Now the free seeds, as well as the 2 successful ones, are looking absolutely fantastic, which has left me bemused as all were planted in the same medium, at the same time, in the same environment.

Each was put in pre-soaked 1 inch rockwool cube, in water with formulex to a TDS/CF level of 12, with the PH reading of 5.6, and humidity around 60-70%.

I can find no reason why this occurred, and as of yet have not received a reply from the organization who sold them. What would be the best way of resolving this?

Many Thanks

J

Your ph was way too low... you should be aiming for between 6 and 6.3 at the most I reckon... and have a low EC level too, they are seeds after all and should have everything already in them to get started once the water is good.

Your ph was way too low... you should be aiming for between 6 and 6.3 at the most I reckon... .

Sorry, i'd have to disagree.I began hydroponics about 10 years with a book by Jeff Winterborne and I've used this exact method for years and never had any issues. With regards to the initial post however, after contacting said organization, replacement seeds will be sent next week, which is good.

Could anyone else recommend a good seed supplier? Im a big pukka seeds fan, but since they have gone out of business, obtaining genuine seeds such as Armageddon x Sirius for example, is near impossible. I've finally ran out of all reserves and cuttings have been and gone im afraid.

Might of been a case of dampening off...

This is usually caused by a fungal disease called "damping off". The cause is infected soil, waterlogged substrate, high humidity...any conditions that promote fungus. The fungus attacks the soft tissue in the stem which withers at the base or midway. The seedling collapses and dies. Another possible cause is that the seedlings died from lack of water or a high salt level in the substrate (which basically has the same effect of drying out the plant). Seedlings have only a small amount of roots and few leaves. They cannot retain much water and quickly dry out. High humidity in the grow space does not compensate for a desiccated substrate. Your soil/rockwool has to be moist enough to sustain healthy roots and provide water to the plant.

Might of been a case of dampening off...

This is usually caused by a fungal disease called "damping off". The cause is infected soil, waterlogged substrate, high humidity...any conditions that promote fungus. The fungus attacks the soft tissue in the stem which withers at the base or midway. The seedling collapses and dies. Another possible cause is that the seedlings died from lack of water or a high salt level in the substrate (which basically has the same effect of drying out the plant). Seedlings have only a small amount of roots and few leaves. They cannot retain much water and quickly dry out. High humidity in the grow space does not compensate for a desiccated substrate. Your soil/rockwool has to be moist enough to sustain healthy roots and provide water to the plant.

Thanks for the input, but ive grown long enough to know the processes and pitfalls, besides, a separate batch of seeds planted in the same substrate, same propagator have gone on to flourish, which rules out these variables.

To update, I had purchased 10, only 2 survived but died a few days later. Another 8 of the same batch were provided and only 1 of these has gone on to develop its second set of leaves. The main issues were the taproot only protruding about 1mm out of seeds and going no further, starter leaves were stuck to inside of seeds preventing them from opening fully, as a last resort, I even tried delicately helping the process along, but to no avail.

Well, i'll definitely not be trying the white rhino from this particular seed provider again, although I cant fault their customer service and helpfulness.

Back
Top Bottom