Done with Seeds

BluNGreen

420 Member
My first three grows where from seed, made many mistakes, learned a lot each time and made adjustments. The end results were good especially when I was using cheap blurple lights. I purchased my seeds from CK and another not so well know seed supplier. Most of the plants had the same traits and grew similar.
I then got with a guy who had clones at a good price (Free) and did about four grows all clones upgraded equipment and life was good. My guy had to move and lost his ability to provide clones, so I started back with seeds.
The last three grows have been a nightmare. The seeds were difficult to germinate, almost all of the seedlings had helmet head and they all looked very different. It would almost seem they just threw random seeds in the package.

The last grow I had two plants that hermed during the third week of flower. As far as i could tell there was no excessive stress or any other environmental problems.
I contacted the seed people, (Four letters abbreviated) and they sent me free seeds. Same thing all of the plants seem to be a different strain. AND pulled one plant two days ago with pre-banana pods and getting ready to pull another one. the plants are extremely healthy, So I don't know.

Anyone else with a herm problem from seeds, maybe bad or old genetics

Hermed plant day 17 of flower
\
Another plant same strain has a nice nose and frosty
\
The last pic is of the hermed plants very little frost no smell
IMG_7717.jpg
IMG_7719.jpg
IMG_7721.jpg

Hermies happen... Could be genetics? I had hermies on a couple of grows myself, after the second time I switched breeders and I have not had anymore hermies. Try some site sponsor seed banks, like @SeedsMan @North Atlantic Seed Co or @Canuk Seeds . Maybe if you plant your seeds a little deeper the seed hull will have a better chance of pulling off?

Good Luck & Happy Growing!

Gorgeous plants! If the herm situation is not too bad (couple of male flowers) then just pluck em gently and inspect daily for the next week or until 2 weeks before harvest. Otherwise, if you have male parts everywhere on the plant, then get it out the grown room immediately and dispose off accordingly.

But ultimately I would spend the money on better genetics. Great breeders, breed these problems out of the plants with multiple generations of crossing healthy phenotypes.

Thanks Vegan but I am going all clones from now on,
Good luck with the clones, be sure to isolate them in quarantine, and spray them with neem and or safers soap several times before bring them into your grow space. I'm sure there is a protocol for doing this, you should definitely do your research. I have heard some horror stories of people introducing pests, spider mites or worse Russet mites into their grow space with clones purchased elsewhere...

I often have taken cuttings and put the clones into the flowering tent about two months before the original plant from seed goes into the tent. If the clones start to show problems like you are talking about then I figure the mother will do the same.

Could be possible that it is a case of bad breeding methods being used as a short-cut to producing a lot of seeds quickly which is why you found so many bad seeds.

Gorgeous plants! If the herm situation is not too bad (couple of male flowers) then just pluck em gently and inspect daily for the next week or until 2 weeks before harvest. Otherwise, if you have male parts everywhere on the plant, then get it out the grown room immediately and dispose off accordingly.

But ultimately I would spend the money on better genetics. Great breeders, breed these problems out of the plants with multiple generations of crossing healthy phenotypes.
I was literally coming to say this.... I actually have a female in flower now that hermied in the second week of flower... I cherry picked male parts daily for about two weeks and everything seems fine for now.... From a little reading it can happen 2-3 during the flowering phase...so I may be back at hunting soon. But it's worth it to try!.

My first three grows where from seed, made many mistakes, learned a lot each time and made adjustments. The end results were good especially when I was using cheap blurple lights. I purchased my seeds from CK and another not so well know seed supplier. Most of the plants had the same traits and grew similar.
I then got with a guy who had clones at a good price (Free) and did about four grows all clones upgraded equipment and life was good. My guy had to move and lost his ability to provide clones, so I started back with seeds.
The last three grows have been a nightmare. The seeds were difficult to germinate, almost all of the seedlings had helmet head and they all looked very different. It would almost seem they just threw random seeds in the package.

The last grow I had two plants that hermed during the third week of flower. As far as i could tell there was no excessive stress or any other environmental problems.
I contacted the seed people, (Four letters abbreviated) and they sent me free seeds. Same thing all of the plants seem to be a different strain. AND pulled one plant two days ago with pre-banana pods and getting ready to pull another one. the plants are extremely healthy, So I don't know.

Hermed plant day 17 of flower
\
Another plant same strain has a nice nose and frosty
\
The last pic is of the hermed plants very little frost no smell
IMG_7717.jpg
IMG_7719.jpg
IMG_7721.jpg
Look over watered and over lighted. Is it hot in there too?

Clones can be just as untrustworthy, and twice as destructive. Seeds don’t bring in hard to defeat pests like the borg or russet mites like clones will.

It’s important to find a good breeder just like it’s important to find a good clone provider. Good luck to you op, herms can be devastating to your motivation and pockets.

Also :bong:

Clones can be just as untrustworthy, and twice as destructive. Seeds don’t bring in hard to defeat pests like the borg or russet mites like clones will.

completely agree. i've never had either unless it came from a clone. most dispensary clones are done under shit conditions. they don't care if it's infested, they are easy money and easy to make. the grower never knows about the pests until mid veg at the earliest.

Sorry all, been preoccupied with family stuff, wife had to have open heart surgery for growth (No not a hermie) but thanks for all the replies going to answer what I can so here goes.

I took the photos right after I watered.
I have a PAR meter so they don't get too much light.
I have a dedicated AC unit, so my temps are stable.
Yeah, I should have not gotten seeds from this seed bank after I had prior issues, but they were free and I hate waste, but live and learn.
Photoperiod plants
I had a "Clone" guy (Old-school long-time grower) but he had to move and lost his grow space, but no matter who I always keep the clones in the garage first and check them very closely for any issues.
And I agree never get clones from a dispensary they are more than likely months old and stuck in the clone state.
Plants are still growing and still picking off a pod here and there, so feeling done with this grow.

Sex is determined at pollination. You can not stress a female plant to make a hermy. You can stress a hermy enough to make it come out of the closet. Some don't need a reason to come out other than hearing the word fabulous. Seeds do not create male chromosomes with age. Sounds like you got a bad run of seeds replaced with seeds from the same mother.

Cloning is not hard. Take a cutting from each plant before flowering. When you get a good plant you know what clone to keep and what clone to pitch. If you make your own clones there is no risk of bringing in new pests.

thanks for the reply.
I agree with your analogy of the seeds and sexing. I only do one topping and LST. I have always defoliated my plants according to their response. The only thing I can think of is I used a different watering technique that was supposed to induce monster roots and new nutrients to help (Heavy 16). i have my plants in 5 gal smart pots and the roots filled up the entire pot. The first one that hermed I pulled and checked the roots for rot or any other issues and i could not get the root ball out of the pot. I have never seen roots like this before, the root mass was huge and tight. Never had a problem with root bound plants. Once the plants get big enough, I water to run off and after a couple weeks they would need watering every other day. I would check digitally, with a moisture meter and picked up the pot to do the weight check... dry. Maybe the stress of the root growth in the 5-gal pot? I don't know all of the plants just came out of the closet even a clone that was in the grow. No light leaks (room with no windows) and during this time of the year my dark time is at night

Back
Top Bottom