Proper airflow for drying

Makeminefullgrown

Hello all, so I normally dry my plants in the same space where they grow, which is a 2’x6’ closet with a high ceiling, an exhaust fan and good circulation in general.
This run I’m growing 3 plants and one of them is being stubborn and not wanting to finish. The other 2 are very ready and have been for over a week. So I’m forced to dry in another space.
Luckily I have a room off my basement that stays almost perfect conditions in the winter. My question is what is the ideal airflow?
The room is concrete and has no windows and no exhaust fan. It does have louvred doors, so it’s not sealed up tight.
I know I need a gentle flow of air in the room, not directly on the buds.
I have several small fans that I can use, I just don’t know where to position them.
I figured putting one just inside the door pointing under the plants set on low and oscillating….this would be drawing new air in to the space.
Should I also have one blowing air toward the door, thus blowing air out of the space through the small spaces in the doors??
Or does any of it matter…..as long as there’s a fan circulating the air inside the space???
The doors are pictured in case u don’t know what a louvre is…..
Thanks everyone.
IMG_8089.jpeg

Not knowing what you are working with inside the closet, if it were mine, I would probably try to get the fan up and angled to flow gently across ABOVE the buds, probably a foot or so above, no direct contact. (basically encouraging the gentle wind to carry away excess moisture)
And if it were mine, I would probably also plan to open the doors to check visually and air it out once a day at least in the first few days.

I would point the fan directly at the wall, about 6-8 in away. So it stirs the air.

Humidity would be my concern
Without doing anything, the temp is a steady 57-58F and the RH says between 53-55%. The only thing I do is run a small humidifier to bring things up to 56-58%.
It’s just lucky that the range of temp/rh stays at an almost perfect level for drying.
The room is about 5’x6’ and I have a bunch of hunting gear stored away…..
Right now I’ve got a fan that blows under the hanging buds and stirs the air around pretty good.

Not knowing what you are working with inside the closet, if it were mine, I would probably try to get the fan up and angled to flow gently across ABOVE the buds, probably a foot or so above, no direct contact. (basically encouraging the gentle wind to carry away excess moisture)
And if it were mine, I would probably also plan to open the doors to check visually and air it out once a day at least in the first few days.
U can see what it looks like….a small storage space with low ceilings.
I snipped a few buds to hang while I was figuring things out.
I’m lucky that this time of yr that little room , which is below grade, stays in the mid to upper 50’sF and the rh bounces around in the low to mid 50’s. I run a small humidifier on low which brings it to 58%.
Getting a fan to blow above the buds might be a challenge with such a low ceiling. As is, the fan is blowing air all around the space below the buds and stirring the air around a good bit.
IMG_8090.jpeg
IMG_8091.jpeg

Well, I imagined a much smaller space behind that door. The quantity of buds you have there and the space surrounding them is just fine, you probably don't really even need the fan, tho it won't hurt as long as it isn't directly hitting them. Keep an eye on them, those are going to dry fast. If the other buds you are adding is a much larger quantity then the fan is definitely a keeper.

Well, I imagined a much smaller space behind that door. The quantity of buds you have there and the space surrounding them is just fine, you probably don't really even need the fan, tho it won't hurt as long as it isn't directly hitting them. Keep an eye on them, those are going to dry fast. If the other buds you are adding is a much larger quantity then the fan is definitely a keeper.
Thanks….yeah those are just a few that I plucked off for the helluva it. I’ll be hanging the two furthest in the pic. The closest one is a good bit bigger and it’s taking its sweet time finishing.
IMG_8024.jpeg

Around 16oz is a fair guess. Sueets response is what got me. first pic looked like a micro grow in a walk in closet and you were concerned with enough air. Then the pic of the full harvest flipped this 180 deg.
You just want space between branches and gentile circulation so it dries even. Fan on the floor should be fine. Your hunting gear is going to pick up a scent if that is a concern.

Back
Top Bottom