Fan location during closet drying

Viu Caravanos

I’m drying in a medium sized closet. Two questions:
1) should I leave the door slightly open for air circulation or keep it closed?
2) I have a small fan. Should I put it inside facing out or outside facing in?
I know you shouldn’t turn on a fan directly at the buds, I was just wondering how do people here who dry in a closet place their fans.

Varies on the temp/humidity, I have air circulation in my shed but don't use a regular fan on top of that. If you have high humidity closing up closet could cause issues, along with depends on if smell an issue for you or not too ;).

The humidity in the closet right now gets between 55 and 65, but when I will start drying it might be even a little higher. Everywhere I look it says air circulation is very important during drying to avoid mold. I was thinking that in a closed closet there’s not to much circulation.. on the other hand I see a lot of people say that even a fan not directly blowing at the the buds can dry them to quick.
Think I’m gonna go fanless and hope for the best

When i have humidity issues i tend to hang the plant after i cut branchs and give them all space.
But its not always the case. And when humidity in low i tend to hang the full plant. When ever i have used
a fan the bud tends to dry to fast even when not pointed at them. I like a good 7/10 day dry.That being said
i have never dried more than 6 plants at any one time.

The humidity in the closet right now gets between 55 and 65, but when I will start drying it might be even a little higher. Everywhere I look it says air circulation is very important during drying to avoid mold. I was thinking that in a closed closet there’s not to much circulation.. on the other hand I see a lot of people say that even a fan not directly blowing at the the buds can dry them to quick.
Think I’m gonna go fanless and hope for the best
That Humidity level is a little high but not real bad. I think it should be between 40 - 50%. That being said I would use the fan for some circulation to prevent mold. I'd point the fan toward the floor & let it oscillate on low just for some air movement. The Humidity will keep your plants moist enough for a slow dry.

More disagreements on the fan! Still, thank you for the good advice, I was planning on hanging the plant as a whole but maybe I won’t do that and just slightly open the door. Though I’m worried about mold, the buds are not very big and I think the chances of drying too quick is bigger then the chance of mold, but maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

I am drying right now in the tent it was grown. The tent has enough vents for air circulation. A small fan outside the tent pushes just enough air to create a minimal draft inside. Proper temperature, no higher than 70 degrees should be maintained. Humidity at 55% for at least the first few days is optimal, then 45-50 to finish. The goal is to slow dry, 10-14 days, then cure for another 6-8 weeks.

What is enough circulation in a closet? Also, is there an ideal amount of spacing you want between buds when you hang them on a clothesline?

Looking to dry mine in similar conditions as OP, but mine will be in a "small closet" about 4ft high by 3ft wide and 1.5ft depth.

If this doesn't add value to the thread, and rather hijacks it, forgive me. I thought it would add value to consider the size of closet in relation to airflow, and the spacing between buds as well.

Drying, like most things we do in this hobby requires a bit of flexibility. It has been raining for the last couple of weeks here in waterlogged Missouri, and it is hard to dry anything in this humidity. Since I am too cheap to turn on the AC yet, the RH is about 80% or better, and burping jars, laying the product out on trays, etc... doesn't do a lot to help them dry out down into the curing range. At this point I rely on fans to help me a little... but fans can get you in trouble fast if the humidity drops on you suddenly. No different than setting up a tent to grow in, it is all about managing the local environment to suit your needs.

Back
Top Bottom