Pruning the plant 5 weeks

JLEBLANC4771

:thanks::thanks:i am growing hydro, the plant is like 1' 5'' at 5 weeks and it had these big ass useless leaves on it so i pretty much cut off everything that is not a bud site. was this a bad thing to do? what benifit does those leaves have? the plant seems happy and it has no signs of stress. i was thinking it can focus its energy to where it needs it now instead of those huge leaves,
I need some feedback because this is my first grow and i have other plants that i did not touch yet, was it a bad thing to do?

The DaMagoMan has it right: those "big ass useless leaves" are solar collectors that feed the buds you need.

Leave the leaves till it's about time to cut her down.

The large fan leaves have a definite function in the growth and development of cannabis .Large leaves serve as photosynthetic factories for the production of sugars and other necessary growth substances. Most plants begin to lose their larger leaves when they enter the flowering stage and this trend continues on until death of the plant.

ur real smart dude wow. u guys should open up a weed botany college

I cut off all my fan leaves last week,(week 4 of flowering) and my plant seemed to love it, when I did the leaves right on the bud sites grew out dramatically, and overall growth seems just fine. maybe it depends on the strain?

I cut off all my fan leaves last week,(week 4 of flowering) and my plant seemed to love it, when I did the leaves right on the bud sites grew out dramatically, and overall growth seems just fine. maybe it depends on the strain?
Nope. The strain doesn't matter. You have possibly affected yield whether the plant seemed to like it or not. Photosynthesis (light converting sugars and starch into energy) is what makes a plant grow and when you remove leaves you reduce the plants ability to photosynthesize. Plus who knows how much stress you put the plant through with the mutilation of all it's power sources. If the genetics are strong and stable enough you might get away with not having a hermie but you have definately stunted growth until it repairs itself for sure.

Nope. The strain doesn't matter. You have possibly affected yield whether the plant seemed to like it or not. Photosynthesis (light converting sugars and starch into energy) is what makes a plant grow and when you remove leaves you reduce the plants ability to photosynthesize. Plus who knows how much stress you put the plant through with the mutilation of all it's power sources. If the genetics are strong and stable enough you might get away with not having a hermie but you have definately stunted growth until it repairs itself for sure.

ok...taking notes, now I know not to do this with the new batch! thanks Racefan, so when exactly do you prune? is it even really necessary then? if the plants need their fan leaves for photosynthesis, then the more fan leaves = more bud?

Now your getting the picture. I see nothing wrong with a light pruning to open up the canopy a little to allow better air flow. Especially in tight or small overgrown rooms. I do this when I start 12/12 if needed. I also understand the stubborn leaf that won't stay tucked getting clipped.:cheesygrinsmiley: But your right...the more photosynthesis the more bud.

Back
Top Bottom