Putting LED lights above each other, is it possible?

Kaldean

Hi, I was wondering if it’s safe to put a vipaspectra 600w directly above the grow light I already have ( phlizon pro2000 ) I don’t have enough room to put them side by side and I’m a bit worried about damaging the lower light, any help or advise would be greatly appreciate :thumb:

Hi friend.
I would not recommend doing this your lights have a stable operating temperature.
If you put a light directly or half and half above.
A lot of the light will hit the hottest spot on the bottom light.
Bringing the temps up alot I would guess.

IF you really want to maybe you have the option to angle the lights.
But for me bigger space or use the one light.
Hope that helps some. Others will chime in.
;)

Hi friend.
I would not recommend doing this your lights have a stable operating temperature.
If you put a light directly or half and half above.
A lot of the light will hit the hottest spot on the bottom light.
Bringing the temps up alot I would guess.

IF you really want to maybe you have the option to angle the lights.
But for me bigger space or use the one light.
Hope that helps some. Others will chime in.
;)
Thank you for the reply Skunksta, and that’s exactly what my issue was with doing that, gunna overheat the bottom light in i, and that’s the newer one, and yeah I also thought about angling them aswell, but I don’t think it will work, gunna take your advise I think mate and stick with the one light, Im into the 7th week of flower but I have few clones that are 5 weeks behind, I was thinking of using both lights on the clones for the last 5 weeks or so, but yeah, I think I will just put them under the phlizon for the last few weeks, thank you for the reply and advise mate :thanks::thumb:

And what would be the advantage of putting one above the other since the lower one would block the light from the upper?
Hi Azimuth, the lower one is a bar light, if you know what I’m on about, it’s got 5 bars that are a few inch’s apart, There both 250 watt from the wall so I was thinking give them 500, and yeah I know a lot would of got blocked, but some would of got to em 🤷‍♂️😂 and also, last year I went into the winter, like I’m going to this year, and with trying to keep the heat up with the new light I had to use heating tubes and a radiator, obviously running up the cost, with the vipaspectra it’s the old blurple one, throws off loads of heat, it’s a little too hot for my smaller tent, so when I move them in the bigger one it would be nice, in theory, or maybe just in my head :rofl::thumb:

Gotcha. I agree that the tradeoff is not worth the risk.
Yeah Azimuth, I’m not risking it, just though someone may of actually done it like I was saying , and I was just thinking if I have to get extra heat in the tent, could I use a light to do it, but nah, gunna mess me other light up in i lol, thank you for the reply mate, happy growing :yummy::thumb:

If you're really keen on using it, some growers like @Jon have used additional light panels as side lighting. Veg only I think? Not sure. I think the conclusion was mixed though.
Side lighting works in veg and flower but it is ultimately not worth doing in flower. The added footprint and electricity used won't increase yield enough to be worth while. You are better off with a second plant using those resources. In veg it promotes lateral growth on a plant with a smaller footprint to start with. Lateral growth exposes more bud sights to top lighting in flower, leading to better yield. I veg to 20 inches tall and 30 inch wide canopies with florescent side lights and without topping.

you can do it so long as you run the drivers remotely outside of the grow space. a lot of rigs have are set up to run remote if you chose.

it's the drivers that will be at risk in the heat. the emitters should be able to handle it so long as you have enough circulation or a fan trained on the light.

If you're really keen on using it, some growers like @Jon have used additional light panels as side lighting. Veg only I think? Not sure. I think the conclusion was mixed though.
Hi Azimuth, I thought that using the vipaspectra along with my new light, the older one would help with the wattage per square meter iv been told about, and it would definitely help with the keeping the heat up and humidity that I got last winter with just new new light, the newer light is the daylight like light and don’t give off hardly any heat, ran into all sorts of problems last winter, not enough heat, too much humidity, put heaters in there and started getting condensation everywhere, so I had to heat up the whole room the tents in lol, looks like I’m gunna be back at it again :rofl: And yeah if it’s gunna compromise my new light in any way it’s not worth it:thumb:

Side lighting works in veg and flower but it is ultimately not worth doing in flower. The added footprint and electricity used won't increase yield enough to be worth while. You are better off with a second plant using those resources. In veg it promotes lateral growth on a plant with a smaller footprint to start with. Lateral growth exposes more bud sights to top lighting in flower, leading to better yield. I veg to 20 inches tall and 30 inch wide canopies with florescent side lights and without topping.
Hi Sativa, and cool, sounds like you just do the one plant yeah, and your cleared some stuff up for me there, I thought that having more light from the top gave more buds sites and so on, and yeah I understand that once in flower it’s not worth doing it, the side lights, at that point, how long do you keep yours in veg ? Cos the last 2 grows iv done, with the extended veg, from where I mainline for colas, I’m getting deficiencies, is that because of the vegging for too long or is that more down to my not feeding correctly ? And thank you for the reply and info mate :thanks::thumb:

you can do it so long as you run the drivers remotely outside of the grow space. a lot of rigs have are set up to run remote if you chose.

it's the drivers that will be at risk in the heat. the emitters should be able to handle it so long as you have enough circulation or a fan trained on the light.
Hi bluter, and yeah, once I read what you said about over heating the drivers, it’s definitely a no no, with the old vipaspectra I have, it’s all contained, so I very much doubt if the driver in there can be put outside the tent, as with my new light, I’m not so sure, the driver is screwed onto the centre bar, but that’s getting a bit too complicated for me tbh, although I have been looking for add ons to my new light, I was seeing if I could get bars to fit in between the bars I already have, iv found red light in a, would that help my ladies ? And thanks for your reply and info mate :thanks::thumb:

How much room do you have? get one vertical and go for some side lighting?
Hello Fenderbender, hope your good mate, I only have a 1x1x2 meter tent, I will tell ya what happened, I was doing 4 plants, with the training , and I started getting bad deficiencies on 2 of the plants, realised that they split, in total, 3 out of 4 plants split lol, so I wasn’t having it and I got clones off em all, and thought I may be able to work them all in one tent :rofl: As by the little laughing fella, I must of been tripping , no way was it going to work was it lol, anyway, put up a smaller tent aswell, so now iv got both lights going, but obviously, the big tent is going to finish first so I thought that maybe I could Chuck both lights in the big tent for when I moved the others in there, but yeah, I’m all over the place here mate:rofl: I will show ya a pic of the plant that’s really bad, iv had to take 2 branches off, they just died, the nearest thing I could find that looked like it was fusarium wilt, have you hear of it ? Tell me what you think, the first pic is when she started getting bad, second pic is about a week late, last pic is her tonight, and thanks for the reply and info mate:thanks::thumb:

C09E76A8-3F1A-42B2-9BDA-05AC15D86AC7.jpeg

7C01EFE0-A6A4-44CB-A897-A002E0C0596D.jpeg

C21909A5-64C6-440E-B185-92AA698C574E.jpeg

Hello Fenderbender, hope your good mate, I only have a 1x1x2 meter tent, I will tell ya what happened, I was doing 4 plants, with the training , and I started getting bad deficiencies on 2 of the plants, realised that they split, in total, 3 out of 4 plants split lol, so I wasn’t having it and I got clones off em all, and thought I may be able to work them all in one tent :rofl: As by the little laughing fella, I must of been tripping , no way was it going to work was it lol, anyway, put up a smaller tent aswell, so now iv got both lights going, but obviously, the big tent is going to finish first so I thought that maybe I could Chuck both lights in the big tent for when I moved the others in there, but yeah, I’m all over the place here mate:rofl: I will show ya a pic of the plant that’s really bad, iv had to take 2 branches off, they just died, the nearest thing I could find that looked like it was fusarium wilt, have you hear of it ? Tell me what you think, the first pic is when she started getting bad, second pic is about a week late, last pic is her tonight, and thanks for the reply and info mate:thanks::thumb:

C09E76A8-3F1A-42B2-9BDA-05AC15D86AC7.jpeg

7C01EFE0-A6A4-44CB-A897-A002E0C0596D.jpeg

C21909A5-64C6-440E-B185-92AA698C574E.jpeg
If any more branches go, I’m gunna remove her from the tent, incase it is that fungi thing, don’t wanna mess the rest up

Yikes, hmm when you shop her you can have a look at the roots to see if anything was going on there. Otherwise??
But there's still some great looking buds in the back.. so that's good :)
Yikes is right there mate :rofl: Just wondering if I electrocuted along the way, looks frazzled don’t she:rofl: I honestly don’t have a clue what happened, she’s started really well, zooming above the others, but she then started getting curly leaf’s and what looked like deficiencies, yellowing leafs, so I flushed her, then fed her a week or so later and then it looked like bad nutrient burn, so I flushed her again, and gave her half amount of feed another week later, same thing happened, so I flushed her again about 2 weeks ago, and just giving her water and she’s still going, so I don’t really know mate, I did cut the branches that I took off right down the middle to see if it looked like that wilt thing, but they looked fine inside, and I have seen wind burn do the same thing, and where one plant stretched loads, the oscillating fan is right on top of the light, so I’m wondering if, whatever way the fan is going, it’s deflecting right on her, but yeah mate, I’m lost, and I will definitely have a look at her roots if she makes it, there is a couple of roots on top of the soil, and they look white, with that wilt thing it says the roots go black, but yeah I will definitely be checking the roots whatever way she goes:thumb:

Yikes is right there mate :rofl: Just wondering if I electrocuted along the way, looks frazzled don’t she:rofl: I honestly don’t have a clue what happened, she’s started really well, zooming above the others, but she then started getting curly leaf’s and what looked like deficiencies, yellowing leafs, so I flushed her, then fed her a week or so later and then it looked like bad nutrient burn, so I flushed her again, and gave her half amount of feed another week later, same thing happened, so I flushed her again about 2 weeks ago, and just giving her water and she’s still going, so I don’t really know mate, I did cut the branches that I took off right down the middle to see if it looked like that wilt thing, but they looked fine inside, and I have seen wind burn do the same thing, and where one plant stretched loads, the oscillating fan is right on top of the light, so I’m wondering if, whatever way the fan is going, it’s deflecting right on her, but yeah mate, I’m lost, and I will definitely have a look at her roots if she makes it, there is a couple of roots on top of the soil, and they look white, with that wilt thing it says the roots go black, but yeah I will definitely be checking the roots whatever way she goes:thumb:
Here’s the others :thumb:

201CDD29-6E95-4C65-8403-2D6C6DE9B58D.jpeg

71B2D6AB-28BF-40FE-BCBA-846A5E1CD052.jpeg

Hi Sativa, and cool, sounds like you just do the one plant yeah, and your cleared some stuff up for me there, I thought that having more light from the top gave more buds sites and so on, and yeah I understand that once in flower it’s not worth doing it, the side lights, at that point, how long do you keep yours in veg ? Cos the last 2 grows iv done, with the extended veg, from where I mainline for colas, I’m getting deficiencies, is that because of the vegging for too long or is that more down to my not feeding correctly ? And thank you for the reply and info mate :thanks::thumb:
I do land strain sativas in a perpetual grow rotating in a new strain every year or two. Jack Herer is my fast growing plant for experimenting on. Right now I only have a couple plants and a bunch of clones because I am going to attempt some feminized pollen. Don't want to bukkake the wrong plant. Normally I have 3 in flower, 2 in veg, and a couple clone starts in around 120 square feet.

Every node is a bud sight. How much light it gets is the major determining factor on how productive that node will be. A branch growing vertically will only get good light to the tip so you get a cola on the end and progressively smaller buds as you distance from the light. Coaxing the branches horizontal allows light to be even all the way down the branches bud sights so they all produce full sized buds. Same effect as growers flowering under a net. I just hate untangling a 5 foot wide plant at harvest so I side light in veg instead.

You can veg almost indefinitely. Longest I have done is around 6 months veg but I know people who have gone over a year to preserve a cultivar. Normally from rooted clone to flower room is 5 weeks, give or take a week based on strain. Every time you prune the plant you stress it a little and remove some of its food stores. This extends the veg time and changes it nutrient needs. This can make under or over feeding each nutrient vary possible. fully flushing with a good nutrient mix is key.

Back
Top Bottom