Question about leaves and conditions

distortionist

420 Member
Hi. I have attached a picture of my old leaves vs new growth and wonder which one is healthier looking / normal. What happened is I upgraded from a cheap amazon grow light to a Spider Farmer SF-4000, at the same time I switched food from GH Grow Micro Bloom to AN Iguana Juice, with sensizyme and golden tree. The result was my grow room overheated, and I discovered my waterfarm had a problem spouting to one side, the plant overheated and starved. I corrected the dripper as best as I can and they are sending me a replacement. I have since corrected the heat by keeping the grow room vents open, door unzipped, and closet open. I also corrected / have less of a PH swing now with my well water using Seachem Acid Buffer. My plant has since recovered I think because it is growing new roots and plant again, ( it was about 2 weeks ago) but my leaves still don't look like they did. Since my new light I cannot keep my vents and room closed, it gets too hot, I have been unable to maintain a high humidity and it fluctuates between 20 and 40% but i have a humidifier blowing right at the plant. Temp is steady 25 celcius. Why do my leaves look so different than they did before the new light and the AN food?

I am switching to flower next week to get this grow done with. I have discovered I was supposed to soak my hydroton in ph water untill it stops swinging. So I will do that. I also have an AC coming with vents that are for cooling the condenser from external air while the other side cools the internal air, it also has a heating function so I can use it to keep the temp within a specific range for night and day. I will then have better control on humidity and shut the tent, seal it, seal the walk in closet it is in, and start using co2 as well, I have a co2 controller.

Please advise me, I have never had a setup like this. I should also mention in there is a humidifier and a dehumidifier connected to a controller that is trying to keep the humidity at 60%.

Attachments

• 20200427_180851.jpg
    20200427_180851.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200427_180858.jpg
    20200427_180858.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200427_180905.jpg
    20200427_180905.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200427_180929.jpg
    20200427_180929.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 83
Ehh.. It is root rot. It is happening again dammit. The first time the leaves started drooping bad I noticed the roots color. I thought it was organic nutes so helping it recover I used a light dose of food. I refed today full dose and I notice the roots are much browner and the plant is starting to droop again.

I flushed it for a while with water and hydrogen peroxide before putting it back into its bucket with the new nutes. I also threw in there some more peroxide with the nutrients, about 20ml. I ordered voodoo juice, tarantula, and piranha. I am officially poor now.

I figured I would get more help in an active community like this. I am trying to battle root rot, I am not sure why it is happening, both times it started was with me brewing my nutrient solution over night. I have been putting hydrogen peroxide in there and it is helping a bit, I don't know if they are too far gone but I do get new growth.

I am not sure if I should dump the solution and try again or just keep it in there and keep an eye on it and add hydrogen peroxide as needed.

Last time this happened I noticed the root colors but it was the first time I try Iguana Juice with Golden Tree. When I ran into problems I flushed it and refilled with nutrients without brewing. I had a good week. This week I brewed again and ran into this.

I will try not brewing next time just add the solution to give it no time to brew.

Maybe it is how I brew it, I keep the lid open with a bubbler, maybe too much light is getting in and I should brew with the cover on? Should I put a dose of Peroxide while I brew or just not brew at all?

I got on the phone with AN, they said they think my problems are from my res being too hot. They gave me some tips and a told me about a product called u c roots that will let me run the res a few degrees hotter without root rot. I have ordered some and I am going to stop brewing and feed instantly. They also told me the 3% peroxide is pretty weak and I need a lot of it to make a difference, so I ordered some 35%.

Wish me luck.

Hiya distortionist.
Sorry to hear about the roots.
I'm a little confused, you say bucket but I see a pot.
Do you know what your water temp is? Hot water can cause problems.
You seem to be using alot of enzyme in your water, this can cause bacteria good and bad, then put h2o2 in that kills bacteria.
You may just want to use just grow nutes and bloom nutes and see how you get on.

I got on the phone with AN, they said they think my problems are from my res being too hot. They gave me some tips and a told me about a product called u c roots that will let me run the res a few degrees hotter without root rot. I have ordered some and I am going to stop brewing and feed instantly. They also told me the 3% peroxide is pretty weak and I need a lot of it to make a difference, so I ordered some 35%.

Wish me luck.
There you go. Good luck

Hiya distortionist.
Sorry to hear about the roots.
I'm a little confused, you say bucket but I see a pot.
Do you know what your water temp is? Hot water can cause problems.
You seem to be using alot of enzyme in your water, this can cause bacteria good and bad, then put h2o2 in that kills bacteria.
You may just want to use just grow nutes and bloom nutes and see how you get on.

I think the water temperature was my problem, currently I am trying to keep it at 19 degrees, its not so hard because its cold outsite. I am still waiting on my AC and I run my grow tent open for now.

I am a bit confused about how much peroxide to use. It is 3%. AN told me at that I need 150ml of that, or 15 if it was 35%. I have been giving a lot less than 150ml/g. Today I put the right amount and the plant was doing good just before adding it. Roots still look yucky. I Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20200429_102211.jpg
    20200429_102211.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 76
I think the water temperature was my problem, currently I am trying to keep it at 19 degrees, its not so hard because its cold outsite. I am still waiting on my AC and I run my grow tent open for now.

I am a bit confused about how much peroxide to use. It is 3%. AN told me at that I need 150ml of that, or 15 if it was 35%. I have been giving a lot less than 150ml/g. Today I put the right amount and the plant was doing good just before adding it. Roots still look yucky. I Hope this helps.
You can rinse the the roots off with clean water,just be gentle then return to the clean bucket.
I used to use peroxide in a res I couldn't visit very often, the idea was to keep it clean and no bad bacteria would grow on the roots. The added bonus is it gives roots an oxygen boost. I used 10ml for 20 litre res.
I would use just base grow nutrients and peroxide.
You're using loads of added stuff that's seems to me quite a waste to be honest.
Me personally would stick to a base grow nutrient and the peroxide ,ph'd to 5.9 until the plant improves.

You can rinse the the roots off with clean water,just be gentle then return to the clean bucket.
I used to use peroxide in a res I couldn't visit very often, the idea was to keep it clean and no bad bacteria would grow on the roots. The added bonus is it gives roots an oxygen boost. I used 10ml for 20 litre res.
I would use just base grow nutrients and peroxide.
You're using loads of added stuff that's seems to me quite a waste to be honest.
Me personally would stick to a base grow nutrient and the peroxide ,ph'd to 5.9 until the plant improves.
Thanks for the tip. What concentration did you use at 10ml/20L ? I am going to switch to flower next feeding to get this plant done and start over with everything I have learnt. I already purchased all that extra stuff and it was expensive as hell. I used these products 10 years ago and I had fantastic results. It was my first plant and it looked like stuff from magazines. Everything I am using is better now I just screwed up and overheated my room for a while at the same time the dripper clogged, that is when all this started. New light, new organic food, overheat, starve and here I am lol. GH is sending me a new dripper.

Lol, it can get away from you pretty fast.
The AN stuff is expensive, so not really worth using the additives while you're plant is a little sick, save it for when it improves or next time.

The peroxide I used was 35%. My res size was 20 litres of water, I would put 10ml of peroxide in that 20 litres of water.

add an enzyme cleaner like z7. not sure what your avg temps are like. a chiller may be in order if you are a warm climate dweller.

add an enzyme cleaner like z7. not sure what your avg temps are like. a chiller may be in order if you are a warm climate dweller.
Yeah,What's the other one, hydroguard??

My temps were about 24 in the water, now I am between 19 and 21. I have a small AC I ordered that I am putting in the grow room so I can seal it and run my co2 tank. I will try and face the AC outlet at the res of my bucket, it is a 2 bucket thing, one 1/2 sized bucket with hydroton and dripper sits on another bucket with a bubbler in there, and it uses air to drive the dripper. I run it 24/7, lights 18h a day.

So you guys are saying switch to the GH Grow Micro Bloom till I sort this out? Or only use Iguana Juice with no addatives?

Here is what my roots look like right now, should I just cut them off? I have a product coming called u c roots, AN advised me to get it and it will help if my res runs a bit hotter, but only a few degrees, and I just lined the bottom bucket with foil incase light is leaking in :/.

Attachments

• 20200429_114146.jpg
    20200429_114146.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 80
Me personally would use just a simple grow formula, do you know the gh routine.
No I don't. I know I am supposed to used RO water and I am contemplating buying a small system. I should have used a simpler formula but 10 years ago I started with GH and I switched to AN and I noticed the growth go nuts. I was using RO water because it was easily available to me for free at a store but I lived somewhere else. I used my well water which is about 200ppm. It is good enough for my fish tank and my plants in there I thought what the heck. My water doesn't leave residue or anything.

Attachments

• 20200429_122213.jpg
    20200429_122213.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 77
No I don't. I know I am supposed to used RO water and I am contemplating buying a small system. I should have used a simpler formula but 10 years ago I started with GH and I switched to AN and I noticed the growth go nuts. I was using RO water because it was easily available to me for free at a store but I lived somewhere else. I used my well water which is about 200ppm. It is good enough for my fish tank and my plants in there I thought what the heck. My water doesn't leave residue or anything.
There's a gh nutrient chart somewhere in this site or online just follow that at half strength with the peroxide added, ph'd to around 5.9.

There's a gh nutrient chart somewhere in this site or online just follow that at half strength with the peroxide added, ph'd to around 5.9.

Oh I thought you meant GH as in water hardness.. Silly me. I do follow the GH feeding chart when I was feeding it. I also follow the AN feeding chart for what I currently give my plant.

This is the start of my feeding cycle, I flushed it twice between today and monday. I want to try to see if heavily dosing with peroxide with better temperatures will fix my problem before I switch. If only that AC unit arrives already. I bet Co2 will help it fight off the fungus along with cooler waters and peroxide.

Back
Top Bottom