Question about soil shelf life

smoketheherb

Hey guys quick question .

I have a bag of biobizz all mix soil that has been opened and is about 3 years old at this point. Full 50 litre bag almost , I'm trying to decide if it would be worth buying a new bag or just use this ... does it go 'bad' .. been stored indoors and looks smells and feels normal .. but I have no idea if it possible loses certain properties or nutrient strength.. anyone know?

Hey guys quick question .

I have a bag of biobizz all mix soil that has been opened and is about 3 years old at this point. Full 50 litre bag almost , I'm trying to decide if it would be worth buying a new bag or just use this ... does it go 'bad' .. been stored indoors and looks smells and feels normal .. but I have no idea if it possible loses certain properties or nutrient strength.. anyone know?
It should be fine. I dont think biobizz has all that much in it. Mostly peat. If you grow "organically" i'd toss some amendments. If you bottle feed, maybe prewater with a light solution before using.

does it go 'bad' .. been stored indoors and looks smells and feels normal .. but I have no idea if it possible loses certain properties or nutrient strength.. anyone know?
About the only thing that could go bad is that some of the micro-organisms will have died. Most of them are probably dormant. No problems with any of that.

Dry soil become hydrophobic which means that it looks like any new water is running off the top of the soil instead of soaking in. The way around that is to water slowly, a small bit at a time. Wait awhile in between each watering, maybe 15 to 30 minutes, for the water to start to soak into the dry organic plant material.

If it was up to me I would dump the dry stuff into a wheelbarrow or into some large growing pots and start to water. Excess water will run through and into a saucer if using the pots or out any holes in the wheelbarrow.

Or speed it up a bit by mixing in a bag of worm castings which are still damp. That will help speed up solving the hydrophic soil & water situation plus it will add to the soil micro-organisms and make up for any that might not awaken from being dormant.

Back
Top Bottom