Quick question on processing a male for pollen

AKgramma

Because this is so time sensitive, I'm posting from my Journal. I have been waiting for a male from my Bubblelicious grow for 4 months and have finally identified one. This is the post, and a question for those of you who collect pollen.

OK! I have a MALE! This morning I found those weird balls all over BBL#3. And it is still in veg!

Now, remind me: should I trim off all the unproductive branches in order to force development of the pollen? Should I move it to 12/12 or just move it to the living room, where I can keep an eye on it?

I need an answer ASAP!

I grow them like the rest and rigth before the sacs are going to open you bag em as you read in my journal.

I like to cut back all of the arms I do not want to collect from after I verify sex.... and then I scuff up and damage all the leftover sites so they wont grow anymore sacs...Like I posted for you already.

:thumb:

If they are showing early or on a site you don't want to collect from then remove it and scuff up the site.

Grow the plant until you have a good set of mature male sacks but only in those branches you want.

When you bag it cut back all of the fan leaves to help cut back on transpiration in the bag.

Treat it poorly to slow it down so it doesn't get ahead of you. If the plant is happy new sacs will pop before you realize it. In a stressed plant those new sites are way slow and easy to find. You can pull it out of the tent and throw it in the corner of the living room while it finishes and the pollen will be fine.

Because this is so time sensitive, I'm posting from my Journal. I have been waiting for a male from my Bubblelicious grow for 4 months and have finally identified one. This is the post, and a question for those of you who collect pollen.

OK! I have a MALE! This morning I found those weird balls all over BBL#3. And it is still in veg!

Now, remind me: should I trim off all the unproductive branches in order to force development of the pollen? Should I move it to 12/12 or just move it to the living room, where I can keep an eye on it?

I need an answer ASAP!

if you spray colloidal silver on your female flowers it will force it to hermie, if you use the pollen from the hermie flower you will get feminized seeds. if you want to read up more on the subject you can check out ------------ and check out the how to make feminized marijuana seeds section

btw dont smoke any flower that you sprayed colloidal silver on it.

Another question. The male started forming pollen sacs while still under gaslight schedule. I now have him in the living room, where there is more ambient light. Do I need to put him under 12/12 to get the sacs to develop properly?

I have trimmed out the unproductive sprouts and tied down the main and secondary branches with pollen sacs. So it's a matter of waiting for them to mature before I bag them.

if you spray colloidal silver on your female flowers it will force it to hermie, if you use the pollen from the hermie flower you will get feminized seeds. if you want to read up more on the subject you can check out ------------ and check out the how to make feminized marijuana seeds section

btw dont smoke any flower that you sprayed colloidal silver on it.

McJoint: I have read about this process and have decided I don't want to go that route. I'm not keen on those kind of chemicals. We'll do it nature's way.

males aren't as sensitive to light schedule as females ime. i've seen males flower under 18/6 and 12/12. as long as they get some dark period they don't seem to care much. i just recently took a Sweet God male from 12/12 to outdoors (Washington State) and it's doing fine even with the reversed schedule and lower temps lol. i expect he'll blow up all over with the next rh drop. :)

there are ways to make fem seeds without chemicals. Rodelization is fairly easy. a little safer than some of the other stress related methods.

Feminizing Seeds by Soma

:Namaste:

Yup...it is a matter of time. Like I said they grow uncontrollably fast. If you give them great conditions like you do your girls you wont believe how fast they grow and burst new sacs. If you give it a few swift kicks in the nutz it slows down and is much more manageable but make the timing less predictable. Luckily getting pollen isn't a race. It will be done WAAAAAY before the popcorn buds on you female are ready to be fertilized.

I left mine in 24 hour light and every few days threw it in the closet overnight and got great pollen.

males aren't as sensitive to light schedule as females ime. i've seen males flower under 18/6 and 12/12. as long as they get some dark period they don't seem to care much. i just recently took a Sweet God male from 12/12 to outdoors (Washington State) and it's doing fine even with the reversed schedule and lower temps lol. i expect he'll blow up all over with the next rh drop. :)

there are ways to make fem seeds without chemicals. Rodelization is fairly easy. a little safer than some of the other stress related methods.

Feminizing Seeds by Soma

:Namaste:

I also read in one of the posted tutorials that 2 aspirins in a gallon of water would also cause a female to sport male pods. To me, this seems the least toxic way to force-hermie a female. It didn't specify the feeding schedule or how it was to be applied, however.

LOL

But Drought is real stress not fake chemically induced stress. There is a long list of ways to force a hermi by just stressing it out.

It just so happens the day after I posted that I found a plant that went hermi and Chitosan is the only explanation. Since I stopped the chitosan that one the hermi has been all female. Only had a very few number of seeds starts which I stopped. Haven't seen it continue after discontinuing the chitosan. Pollen has not spread to other plants in the tent which has lots of air circulation. That strain seems to be very weak to chitosan. Another one (Male) showed sex under 24 hour light from chitosan so I think that strain can't handle it. I will have to try a very low dose to see if I can get that strain to play.

Most strains I have tried have handled it great but again I don't usually push it heavy. I have pushed it heavy a few times and each time something a little over the top happens so I try not to. But this would be a perfect test. After I get re-setup I am going to really push it on a few plants to see what it takes. The real deal is doing it back to back. Just like the colloidal silver. You need to keep reapplying it. So I need to setup a vortex brewer to keep a constant brew going. I have an idea for an easier way to break down the chitosan and that may make it easier. At the right dose I bet you only need to do it 1 maybe 2 weeks. But I was able to get a response in one dose on the one strain so who knows. A little every 3 or 4 days would freak it out enough.

The only problem with doing it this way is the whole plant would go if you kept at it and that would spreed so you gotta do that by itself probably. But a small clone making seed doesn't need ideal conditions.

I was just walking the dog...Maybe it was the dog shit that makes me think of stupid things but I have plants finishing over a range that may be big enough to get a forced seeding done. I will leave some popcorn on the first plant to finish and hit hard and when I get to my new place I will plant them ASAP and see what I get.

The one I forced to hermi already is not making seeds now that I stopped and has not spreed to other plants. I caught it fast. But I don't want to replant that sick girl. I still have 8 more of those seeds. Likely the White Widow will be done first and I can do pollen on half the popcorn and force it through Chitosan on the others and see what happens. I had a few clones of that WW I had to throw out. I had to choose...and I kept the NYPD clones as I have access at my dispensary for WW. :blunt:

The two male plants are tied down hard and bagged, so it's just waiting now. One is a clone of the other, so they are housed together in a south-facing window.

Think I should remove more leaves? The bags are open for ventilation.

Bagged_and_Tied.JPG

Make sure to account for transpiration. The method I showed left the vast majority of leaf area outside of the bag so the plant could thrive. Yours looks like all the leaves are inside the bags and that likely will be problematic. Unless the end is open and you are catching what falls which is fine too...

Make sure to account for transpiration. The method I showed left the vast majority of leaf area outside of the bag so the plant could thrive. Yours looks like all the leaves are inside the bags and that likely will be problematic. Unless the end is open and you are catching what falls which is fine too...

VI: The bags are open on the upside, and I've had no problem with moisture building up in the bags. In fact, I removed several drying leaves today. So I know the RH inside is low enough to prevent mold. I'm pretty sure that when the pollen drops, it will end up on the bottom side of the bag. I check the angle of the branches daily, and remove leaves that are unnecessary, cramped, or dying.

The males ARE sprouting more branches, however, so I'm pinching those out, too. The stalks under the pod are stretching and the tiny pods are starting to develop some features. The males are basking in real sunshine coming in the window today. We don't get that many cloudless days, so I'm taking advantage of the clear sky.

Oh, BTW, could I have the URL to a pic of YOUR pollen catching setup? I never did find it.

Oh, Never mind! I snuck into your gallery. My problem is that the internodal space on my males is a lot longer than yours. A side effect of growing under CFLs.

Back
Top Bottom