Quick question regarding soil & fertilizer

IMO such nice large pots are made for Living Organic Soil. Thats where LOS shines.
Also if you bottle feed such large pots thats going to cost quite a bit.
Whereas if you get your soil right, add worms, some rove beetles and predator mites a cover crop and a mulch layer you shouldn't need anything but a top dress of amendments right before flower and maybe a little Bokashi and some mycorrhazae inoculate.
Should be mostly just water only just keep soil moist, not wet and definitely not dry and thats it.
May seem daunting at first but it really isn't, its actually very easy.
I would either build your own Clackamas Coots soil recipe using Buildasoil nutrient/amendments packs or buy it pre-made in bulk by the cubic yard

A proper LOS taken care of in pots that large will get better with age.
If you're going to do bottled nutrients you would be better off with lots of 4 gallon fabric pots of coco and hook up a drip feed.
If you want to use soil then go with LOS and forget all the bottled nutrients and need to pH.
Just add amendments to the soil,
Like Kelp meal, Crustacean meal, malted barley, Gypsum, Oyster Flour, Alfalfa meal, volcanic tuff etc to re-amend the soil between grows, start a cover crop and let it set for two weeks, chop down the cover crop add a few handfuls of Bokashi let the worms and microbes work on it another week and you're ready for another grow.

If I am not mistaken a 15x5 planter is like about 850 gallons and an average bag of potting soil i 1 cu/ft which 7 gallons so that like 121 bags for each planter.
You would be better off buying in bulk by the cubic yard.
A cubic yard is like $540 and you would need at least 4 cubic yards.
About $2,200 of soil in bulk.

I get the feeling you made the same mistake I did at first. He already has 15 pots which are 5 gallons each.

I had to go back and reread the size of the pots originally thinking he was going to use 15 gallon pots and had 5 of them so far.
Seriously?
Ha, I read it like 5x and still sounded like a 15' x 5' "planter".
Oh well.
In that case he would better off using 4-5 gal fabric with coco and just hook up a drip system

Back
Top Bottom