Quick question regarding soil & fertilizer

Lastwords

420 Member
Now this is probably a dumb ass question but I need to know the answer so I can start my first grow. I have 15 x 5 gallon cloth planters I'm going to use. What do I put in it for the plants? If I put nothing but fertilizer in it it's gonna be expensive af right? Like what other dirt can I use? If you could please link me product from Lowe's or Walmart that's the cheapest and get the job done. Thanks!

Now this is probably a dumb ass question but I need to know the answer so I can start my first grow. I have 15 x 5 gallon cloth planters I'm going to use. What do I put in it for the plants? If I put nothing but fertilizer in it it's gonna be expensive af right? Like what other dirt can I use? If you could please link me product from Lowe's or Walmart that's the cheapest and get the job done. Thanks!
You might need a seed or three. 😉

NTH

75 gallons or 7.5 cu. ft. of potting soil... 5 big bags of Fox Farms Ocean Forest or Happy Frog, or Roots Organics Original or literally hundreds or thousands of other brands will work once you learn how to amend and balance a living soil. The few I mentioned produce some pretty tasty bud without further adulteration.

if you're using bottle nutes, hp promix, or sunshine #4 will be the most forgiving media to learn for a new grower.

super common, super available.

And BTW >

Both nutrients I recommended are powders and very inexpensive.

Much easier and less messy to weight out a powder than measuring out a liquid.

My first choice is Mega Crop one part, a 3 lb bag is $8.88 plus shipping.

It is a long time since this size has been in stock !

I had to buy the 25 lb bag and even with gifting some I have enough left for years ;)

General Hydroponics is roughly $20 for a 5 lb bag for the Grow or the Bloom plus shipping.

Cheers

The issue I have with recommending that soil to a beginner is it can be difficult to determine When and how Much fertilizer to add.

And ProMix HP is buffered so it can help with ph issues.

Cheers
If I’m not mistaken it’s top dressed and time released with watering. So it’s easily applied without risk of over fertilizing. CL🍀

I don’t have a bag in front of me but it can’t be that difficult to read directions and apply. CL🍀
Well, again I maintain one should have at least some experience "reading" the plants needs before starting to fertilize with a soil that is precharged with feed.

It will depend on what the OP decides to use but I like to see new growers get at least one successful grow under their belt before trying other methods.

At least they will get to see the different stages of growth without to much worry !

I see too many threads about "I'm using FF and xxx, what is wrong ?"...

Keep it simple to start.....

Cheers

Hey @Lastwords, and welcome to the forum!

I did a little analysis of commercial potting soils... there's a link in my signature.

I was impressed with the ingredients of Fox Farm Happy Frog, so you could use that. And then get Fox Farm Grow Big for veg, and Tiger Bloom for flower, and follow the directions to a T. You might also need some CalMag... others may have a better idea on that.

I personally make my own soil mix which is very nutrient rich. See the link in my signature.

Happy growing! 🌱

Howdy starting out maybe try nectar for the gods#4 seem to be ok I use the pro mix with my own castings and KIS mix nuits Good luck

I used to use stay-green brand from Lowe’s think it was vegetable or garden soil in a square bale with good results. I know of people using miracle grow organics garden soil with awesome results water only for autos

if you put nothing but fertilizer in then it would burn up most any plant…

there’s not much difference is measuring a dry powder by weight (MC style) versus measuring a dry powder by volume (Geoflora style)

welcome to 420…

I have 15 x 5 gallon cloth planters I'm going to use. What do I put in it for the plants?
Big project going with 15 cloth pots. One point is that those pots have to be filled up to within an inch or two of the top. There is nothing to be gained by half half way up. The way I see it, if I was going up only half way in the pots I might as well have planned on buying 2 and 1/2 gallon pots right from the start.

As @beccabuds mentions back up in msg #5, "75 gallons or 7.5 cu. ft. of potting soil".

If I put nothing but fertilizer in it it's gonna be expensive af right? Like what other dirt can I use?
Not sure if there is a bit of confusion here. It will be easier to consider the fertilizers to be additives and not something to grow the plants in. The plant will grow in the soil. The better the quality of the soil the less that can go wrong.

If you could please link me product from Lowe's or Walmart that's the cheapest and get the job done.
The soil is one of the most expensive items on the list. Some of the better soils are the ones that have already been mentioned by name, ones like the Fox Farms Happy Frog, the Fox Farms Ocean Forest, and some of the ProMix products.

No matter what you buy you should keep in mind that the true mineral soils are not necessarily the same as some of the "soil-less" products that look like a soil mix. Both types will work as long as the grower has a basic idea of which one they are using.

If we buy quality soils then we are more likely to have a lot fewer problems.

Back
Top Bottom