Rainwater for organics problem?

Grower2020

I’m growing in organic . Composted tree mulch etc as the base and then searles 5 in 1 . One third is the 5 in 1 and 2 thirds basic compost . With perlite for drainage . So I’m wondering …. Is there an issue with calcium and magnesium if I water with 0ppm rainwater or will it be fine ? And also I checked the runoff ph and it was 7.3 . How or do I need to get the ph down ?
Thanks hopefully hear back soon

IMG_2207.png

If it's true organics with microbes you can ignore pH unless it's way out of range.

I'm finding I need to add calcium to my grow which is mainly fed with rainwater and backyard nutes.
In what form do you feed calcium ? Just calmag synthetic ?

Well, no, I'm a bit off the reservation in my grows. I use WCA (Water Soluble Calcium) which is a diy Korean Natural Farming concoction. I've also started adding powdered egg shells to my mix and as a monthly top dressing.

WCA How-To

Composted tree mulch etc as the base and then searles 5 in 1 . One third is the 5 in 1 and 2 thirds basic compost . With perlite for drainage .
I noticed that over the past couple of years you had some coco coir grows. Those types of hydroponic growing methods are often considered great ways of getting larger harvests. If you are going to give an organic soil method a try you might find it it a bit simpler in the long run plus organic soil growers say that the quality is better so it makes up for the lower quantity. After a few successful grows you might be able to get the quantity up and not have to worry.

I am going to ask a few questions or add some comments which can help catch the attention of a few other few growers, maybe from Australia/New Zealand or even Norstrilia (aka Old North Australia in the stories by Cordwainer Smith;)).

You will still have to find a line of fertilizers meant for Marijuana even after mixing up your tree mulch with the Searles 5 In 1. Even though it was mixed a bit stronger than recommended by Searles the NPK numbers are low so it is probably safe.

Is there an issue with calcium and magnesium if I water with 0ppm rainwater or will it be fine ?
If you are growing inside and especially under LED lights then you will need some form of Cal-Mag product within a few weeks. Most rainwater seems to be 0 to 5 ppm but on rare occasions up to 30 ppm. More importantly is the pH
of rainwater in your area. A google search should give you the average pH for your area and with a few more searches tell you if there are any industries that could affect the pH.

And also I checked the runoff ph and it was 7.3 . How or do I need to get the ph down ?
The runoff pH is tested for many methods of hydroponics. In soil grows the runoff pH is close to meaningless. That number will change just about every time you water. Sometimes doing a couple of watering sessions just 15 minutes apart will test at totally different numbers. Knowing the number going in is what is important. My rainwater's pH is 5.7 to 5.9 with occasional numbers a bit higher but rarely lower. I have measured it in every season including after melting snow. I do not adjust my rainwater's pH. My tap water is often sitting at 6.3, give or take a .1 amount and I use it as is.

There is a sub-forum for Australian and nearby area growers on this message board. They should be able to help source soil amendments, nutrients and fertilizers other than what is available from Bunnings giving you more choices.

Good luck.

I noticed that over the past couple of years you had some coco coir grows. Those types of hydroponic growing methods are often considered great ways of getting larger harvests. If you are going to give an organic soil method a try you might find it it a bit simpler in the long run plus organic soil growers say that the quality is better so it makes up for the lower quantity. After a few successful grows you might be able to get the quantity up and not have to worry.

I am going to ask a few questions or add some comments which can help catch the attention of a few other few growers, maybe from Australia/New Zealand or even Norstrilia (aka Old North Australia in the stories by Cordwainer Smith;)).

You will still have to find a line of fertilizers meant for Marijuana even after mixing up your tree mulch with the Searles 5 In 1. Even though it was mixed a bit stronger than recommended by Searles the NPK numbers are low so it is probably safe.

If you are growing inside and especially under LED lights then you will need some form of Cal-Mag product within a few weeks. Most rainwater seems to be 0 to 5 ppm but on rare occasions up to 30 ppm. More importantly is the pH
of rainwater in your area. A google search should give you the average pH for your area and with a few more searches tell you if there are any industries that could affect the pH.

The runoff pH is tested for many methods of hydroponics. In soil grows the runoff pH is close to meaningless. That number will change just about every time you water. Sometimes doing a couple of watering sessions just 15 minutes apart will test at totally different numbers. Knowing the number going in is what is important. My rainwater's pH is 5.7 to 5.9 with occasional numbers a bit higher but rarely lower. I have measured it in every season including after melting snow. I do not adjust my rainwater's pH. My tap water is often sitting at 6.3, give or take a .1 amount and I use it as is.

There is a sub-forum for Australian and nearby area growers on this message board. They should be able to help source soil amendments, nutrients and fertilizers other than what is available from Bunnings giving you more choices.

Good luck.
Thanks very much for your detailed opinion Smokey . Much appreciated and all taken onboard :) so I’ve read that using a product like calimagic at around 80ppm to harden the water a little from 0 to 80 ppm should be sufficient on the non feed days when I’m feeding just water . and apparently won’t hurt the microbes either . Sound right to you ?

I read that worms provide all the CA you'll need. Always have worms in my soil.....never had an issue. I don't know the ppm of my water, but I've went from tap to well and no issues. Love seeing fresh castings on top. Lol
They don't for me and I add some every week as a top dress. So I supplement now with eggshells.

I read that worms provide all the CA you'll need. Always have worms in my soil.....never had an issue. I don't know the ppm of my water, but I've went from tap to well and no issues. Love seeing fresh castings on top. Lol
Well water is usually hard with calcium I would say that’s why you don’t have any calcium problems

They don't for me and I add some every week as a top dress. So I supplement now with eggshells.

eggshells, even crushed down to powder will kill earthworms. cuts them up from the inside.

eggshells, even crushed down to powder will kill earthworms. cuts them up from the inside.
Never heard that before. Hmmm. I've been adding them to my worm bin. :eek:
Not heard that before either. More like the opposite. If the earthworms can ingest grains of sand which have sharp edges and points and decompose very, very slowly then they should not have any problem with eggshell pieces which will decompose within a year or two instead of over a millennium like the grains of sand.

I threw the question of "do eggshells hurt earthworms" at Mr. Google and found only mention of the benefits and nothing about it harming earthworms.

I threw the question of "do eggshells hurt earthworms" at Mr. Google and found only mention of the benefits and nothing about it harming earthworms.

check out composting sites. i found out about it yrs and yrs ago on a composting project ran at my tech school.

edit : they're not good with perlite either.

I threw the question of "do eggshells hurt earthworms" at Mr. Google and found only mention of the benefits and nothing about it harming earthworms

check out composting sites. i found out about it yrs and yrs ago on a composting project ran at my tech school.

I found similar to SW, mostly positives assuming you ground it into powder. Leaving larger pieces though was said to potentially harm them from the sharp edges.

Powdered however it was stated to be helpful as a bit of grit for their gizzards, as well as to enhance the calcium castings naturally bring.

I'll do more research @bluter but if you find a reference to eggshells causing harm I'd like to read it.

I'll do more research @bluter but if you find a reference to eggshells causing harm I'd like to read it.

you can prep them by frying them. it breaks the worst of it down. there's dozens of youtubes etc.

you can prep them by frying them. it breaks the worst of it down. there's dozens of youtubes etc.

I do heat some of them outside on the grill. Heard the heating somehow magically produces P and K. Not sure I quite follow that, but whatever. That's more for when making my WCA (Water Soluble Calcium) using vinegar as the inital heating process cooks off the organics that might spoil a batch in long term storage.

Wouldn't actually fry them with oil, though. Not sure what the oil would do to my soil.

Not sure what the oil would do to my soil.

we fry them pretty dry. you can also use a non stick pan. it's not anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom