Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

Jackalope

I have started journals before but never seemed to finish them. With soil there is not a whole lot of daily info to give. With the growth rates I am dealing with even week to week can get boring. It might be boring to journal the grow but that is only part of it for me. Plants and genetics are the forefront of my mind. They had to take the back seat for over 30 years its their time now.
Welcome to my world folks. With a new vented hood I will have plants going most of the time. So There will be "Plants" involved in this thread. There will also be a bunch of random thoughts that run through my brain. I only have 2 main interests so most of my random thoughts revolve around Marijuana and its genetics. I can't say I love growing. Other then maybe a tomato plant or 2 I don't grow anything else. So its not growing I love. Its that one plant. One plant that has more personalities then any other. Since the day back in 1985 when I got my hands on my very first marijuana seed catalog. I have been intrigued by marijuana genetics. I knew from a friend the place was legit. I placed my first order and my world changed for ever. From growing up on the west coast I knew genetics was everything. Since that day I read every book, catalog, and web site I could find. It is so much more to me then just a plant. I now know its been the genetics all a long. All those years that I never grew a plant. I grew and bred millions of plants in my mind. I still do all the time. I find it goes faster if I do it in my mind then in real life.
With thoughts, plants, and genetics combined there is enough to journal. To some that know me it will just be a place to ramble. Maybe if I get some of the random crap out of my brain there will be room for new thoughts.

Interesting. I'm surprised to hear you say you don't love growing; to me genetics seems like an extension to growing. I love the whole cycle, from seed to plant to new seed. Both are hard work, I guess genetics just takes a lot more thought and patience. Sounds like a fun thread!

Ok here we go. This
1510030-f08ac1f895278bc79d6dc00766dc6eac.jpg

Turned in to

1513233-317ccacc77d75ea019116148bcc47c2b.jpg

This.
Last plant of the previous grow. 6 other strains are in week 6 of flower and are doing well. Some got water some didn't. Wow! interesting stuff LMAO.
I learned early on plants don't need a whole lot of help from me. I find it best to leave them alone though I have been known to stare at them for long periods. So while I can do now more for then today I will turn my attention to the task at hand.
I have clones from this plant
1511190-b885e7b4cec011f9159a037a4cb6b3d3.jpg

The plan is to reverse one to self this and one other set of Purple Betty clones. This is one of my favorite strains so I am going to make female seeds for simplicity. So that means I am going to have female pollen. The pollenated plants will be grown along with my next grow. That is the problem. If I have the opportunity to make a hybrid if one arises what do I want that grow to be.
I know of and hate mediocre weed and strains. So I will not just make some random hybrid. The plants have to be worth the time and energy. Every strain has its special plants. Its those special plants that you want for breeding. Its what plants do I want to give a chance to show me something special. There are so many things to consider when you dealing with 10 or 20 strains. It gets a little overwhelming when you have over a hundred to choose from. Lots of people think it is great to have tons of strains. With ownership comes responsibility. So having them is nothing if they are not used.
Here is where I sit as of now. My favorite strain is Blueberry Headband. I have finally got some so that one is a shoe in. Now I must choose strains that will fit my needs and also give me chance to find a special plant for a hybrid. 9 plants is all there is going to be. 3 will be sativa and mostly sativa the rest will be hybrids and indica. I am torn between finding like type strains that would blend well. Or finding radicle terpene profiles to blend.
It seems this line up is changing daily and will tell the day I get seeds wet. If the line up started today here is what it would be.
Sativa
2 Super Silver Haze
1 C-99 ( Grim Brothers )
Others
2 Blueberry Headband
2 Chem
1 M.O.B.
1 Misc. to be named later
The hard part is that these greats strains are on the bench and sound pretty good also. Tangalope, Afgooie, Acapulco Gold, Bubblegum

I like the "game" of growing. I like to try and figure out what I've done wrong, or what I've missed. I do hate when I diagnose wrong, and someone else makes the right call. I want to be right, but we can't be right all the time.

I'm interested in creating feminine seeds from the autos I have (CS) and also breeding. The main problem I have with breeding is the possibility of creating unstable genetics from poly hybrids. That means I'll have to have photoperiod plants to be part of the breeding process if I understand correctly. I haven't researched enough about breeding to be educated to all of it. But I am interested. I'm just not far enough down the road to dig that deep yet.

I find that I am really enjoying growing. I would say it compares to growing roses, another plant where genetics is everything and the difference between mediocre and spectacular is in your growing techniques.

It also doesn’t hurt that cannabis grows so fast. You can watch it develop day by day and influence its growth with just a touch or two here and there every day.

Interesting. I'm surprised to hear you say you don't love growing; to me genetics seems like an extension to growing. I love the whole cycle, from seed to plant to new seed. Both are hard work, I guess genetics just takes a lot more thought and patience. Sounds like a fun thread!

Ok maybe I embellished a little. Yeah of course I love growing. Nothing can be more interesting then seeing what a plant will become. Most strains I grow are for the very first time. You know what a plant is supposed to be. They showed you a beautiful picture of it. Maybe you have even smoked some with the same name. But you never really know a strain tell you grow it.

I like the "game" of growing. I like to try and figure out what I've done wrong, or what I've missed. I do hate when I diagnose wrong, and someone else makes the right call. I want to be right, but we can't be right all the time.

I'm interested in creating feminine seeds from the autos I have (CS) and also breeding. The main problem I have with breeding is the possibility of creating unstable genetics from poly hybrids. That means I'll have to have photoperiod plants to be part of the breeding process if I understand correctly. I haven't researched enough about breeding to be educated to all of it. But I am interested. I'm just not far enough down the road to dig that deep yet.

You need to look into the early strains. Lowrider and Lowrider2 Iranian Auto Flower stuff like that. They are the base of auto's. Then you can reverse a feminized strain and pollenate A Auto Flower female. Looks good on paper anyway.

Grow update. Lets get critical about Critical +. Some of these plants are just a mass of curly hairs and crystals.
1513712-3aeff9dad9870e1d13d1e4705aae5880.jpg
1513711-db1756c32af6b06fe252ba70b5bdf6ec.jpg
1513713-e619befc92caf2716d6e49923fa993c9.jpg

It is getting a little out of hand though. I have used pipe cleaners and stakes for years. They droop in the end but manage to keep their heads up long enough to finish. Critical not so much. I bet this plant would lay side ways on a net and wouldn't have to be tied down other then the cola. Going to have to get physical with her now...... Other then that they are looking great. Smoked a bud of this today that was grown outdoors in Oregon. Very nice. Seeds came from me so I know its the same stuff. Critical is pretty versatile. I know of it being grown outdoors in Oregon and Tennessee. Both people praised it. My are just beautiful. I can't wait to kill them LMAO.

Thought for the day:.... Who The hell is the real Cindy? I have tried a few dispensary C-99's It was always a light sativa buzz. Never nothing special. Last year I got a 3 pack of C-99 seeds as a freebie. Decided to grow them out as a sativa option. Popped 3. 2 came up one really nice plant 1 was just a baseball bat. The bushy plant acted just like you would expect Cindy too. Fruity smell with hints of pineapple. Lots of crystal. Rock hard indica style buds and a short flower time. The best one finished around 8 weeks. The buzz from this is not a light sativa buzz. It is heady in a way but this is a all around buzz you would expect out of a hybrid. Plenty of power here. Because of the source I do not think these are real Cindy in any way. It is what I would expect from C-99 though. C-99 is just one of the pheno's of Jack Herer. If its Jack it is going to have some power to it. Just because it does not knock you out does not mean it is not powerful. What ever I have in the jar I like it. It is time to unmask the real Cindy and grow the Grimm C-99

Bonsaiweed. I try to never have to diagnose problems LOL. Space is not a issue with me so I don't have to get more out of one plant. By using Fox Farm soil and not pushing my plants I run into less snags along the way. There is and will always be issues though. You are right in the fact that it is fun to diagnose problems. Being in tune with your plants makes that a lot easier. Best thing about being wrong? Somewhere along the way you found out what was right to know what was wrong. At least the questions got answered.

Thanks MiOutdoors. All the C-99 and Cindy out there should be the real Cinderella and genetically from Grimm. Most are muddied up genetics or not Cindy at all. There was a long period of time when there was no way to refresh the genetics. Things should be different now. I can not see Grimm protecting these genetics for all these years. Then releasing anything that would tarnish the Cinderella reputation.

Thought for the day. FISHING. After 2 days of hell from a scratched eyeball I woke with basically clear vision and no pain. I learned 2 major things. First and foremost you can't roll what you can't see. Also if you do manage to get a joint rolled. You cannot light that joint with no depth perception. All this weed and no way to smoke it. All my e-oil is sativa..... Anyone on that has ever had a eye injury knows of Eyeball Opium. That shit is amazing. It only lasts for about 1 hour but that 1 hour is bliss. Managed to get the cats fed joints rolled and smoked. Then back to misery for the rest of the night. To early to check plants so they had to go a whole 24 hours without care. 3 were wilted but will be fine. It just goes to show how much they depend on us.

By the way just to show how things change. Chem has been replaced in the new line up by Afgooie. There was a time that Afgooie was the GG#4 or GSC of its time. Tons of hybrids made with this because it was a clone only strain. Something must be behind the hype. Plus it sounds like a good one to maybe cross with the Purple Betty if there is a good one.

Now that I am back from fishing with a whole new look on life. I will explain my thinking behind the change to the Afgooie. Some of the change had to do with what Afgooie brings to the table. Gooie pretty much says it all. Had some that was grown in Humboldt a few years ago. truly good weed. That and the fact that I want the whole 5 pack of seeds so I can self Chem at a later date. Afgooie and the C-99 are both in the line up just in case for hybrids. There is a reason these strains were used for breeding so much. Weather or not either will have anything special is yet to be seen but no reason not to be ready.
Most clones are doing ok. I took these pretty late in flower so they had to root and regrow. Rooting went ok on all. Most are starting to turn around now but a couple are lagging behind. I don't know about the strawberry one. May not be able to self it. 1 looks fine but the other isn't showing any new growth. Not dead yet so there is still hope. Last seeds arrived so I am going to have to get seeds wet soon. The final decision LOL.

Ok the final line up is in the water. No major surprises but it was close. Here is what is being germinated.
2 Afgooie
2 C-99
2 Blueberry Headband
1 Tangalope
1 M.O.B.
1 Crown Royal. From the north country. No shortage of people growing it around here. might as well see what all the hype is about LOL. This is also my first Crop King seed.
The final choices all revolved around the fact that this is mostly a seed crop grow. My winter grows should cover most of my needs. I still want the variety and to continue to try new strains. Plus I am practicing breeding to see how my choices react.
To best understand the choices you have to understand Purple Betty. I chose 3 pheno's to clone all for different reasons. 1 was purple from the start. 1 bushy green one and a strawberry smelling one. The growth pattern of the strawberry sucked so it might be dropped. The Purple one I want to self to see what kind of purple ratio I will get. For bag appeal this one is king. The purple plants tend to carry a fuller flavor profile which is also really nice. The green bushy one was a gamble. While purple is pretty I am sure the best of this hybrid is in the green or partial purple ones. The short green plant is doing just what I hoped it would. These two sets of clones will be totally pollenated by there reversed twins. The green clone is the only one that will be used to make hybrids. I have smoked enough different PB's to know what this one is going to smoke and taste like. That is why I wanted these certain strains to grow with them. I have been doing some small batch breeding already. Now I plan to try it with females. I have just been painting 1 or 2 branches with pollen. I have got anywhere from 40 to 200 seeds by doing this. Plenty for all my needs. I will be trying to make 3 additional hybrids in this grow also. I always need more female seeds to grow. With the genetics involved they are not going to suck no matter what happens. This is going to take a few minutes so I will let you roll a joint, crack a beer, or check and see if the boss is looking. I will continue in the next post

Back
Top Bottom