Rat Shot

Traps and poison. I used poison for years. I had to switch when I got cats. My cats chase and catch mice so I don't want them getting any residual poison. It works that's for sure. Since your cat ignores mice it might be a option for you.

Lots of trapping methods. The old 5 gallon bucket with water has worked well for years. Good old fashion traps set with peanut butter has also worked. In a old house like yours you may never kill them all but if you can cut the population down it should help.

For bird shot I would go with the 22 cal. 38 cal is a bit much and you would be deaf if you shot it indoors. If things get so bad you opt for the shotgun I suggest a Taurus Judge pistol for quick follow up shots lol.

Would a coat hanger work for the wire? And then just... find a pop can that's not been run over yet and punch the wire through it? Like that?

I keep a bucket trap under my cabin, as I have been doing for decades. I remember to bait it and dump it now and then.

Use a tin can (or any other cylindrical object) that has both ends intact enough to skewer through the centers, and then through the bucket. Punch a few holes in can for extra purchase for holding bait- or even don’t bother. A board or two leaning up to the bucket for ramps. Smear a teeny skiff of peanut butter, or any other smelly food, up the ramp and on the can. A few inches of water in the bottom. A dash of bleach if you like too, to keep things a little more sanitary.

Mice like to follow each other’s trails so you’ll easily get all the ones around. I have no mouse problem here and the country is swarming with them. This is a super easy fix and no need for much work. Save the poison and ammo for when you really need it - for rats.

I think my skewer is from an election sign. Garish signs that sprout up on roadsides around here now and then, with pictures of rather ugly looking people on them. Dunno if they grow where you are, but the 1/8” or 3/16” galvanized wire from them is useful stuff and it’s a totally renewable resource. Remove them in their main growing season and new ones just grow. Cool. Well, sort of. Or you can wait and just get the old ones after the season ends- nobody seems to have the energy to clean them up and they just pollute the landscape.

I almost never get mice in the house. They migrate to my cabin constantly but are wiped out in the bucket trap which is underneath. I trap many dozens every year. If I hear one in the house I know I’ve gotten lazy and haven’t tended the trap in a month or more.

Does anyone know for sure if it's completely safe to use .38 Special rat shot inside a house? Got a fucking mouse problem and I can't afford to just burn the place down, move, buy all new shit, and start over.

Never had a single mouse here, now I've got them EVERYWHERE. Fuckers chew shit off my plants and leave it lay, gnawed a hole in the bottom edge of a three-gallon grow bag, even tore out some onions in a slightly lower container, I guess they use it to reach the dope plants. I hate the little bastards, and my useless cat seems to be afraid of them. Plus, they're keeping the flea thing going because it's not like I can catch them all and put flea treatment on their backs. Otherwise, I'd gather 'em all up and throw them in the oven and set it to broil for an hour or something. I have to shake out my boots before putting them on, for fuck's sake! <ARGH!!!!!>

It's making me not quite my usual cheerful fucking self.

Sounds like they're fighting in the walls. I'm guessing that they're fucking :rolleyes: . . . .

you need poison
dont waste money on walmart homedepot shit either
call a licensed exterminator, who will apply the right poison that wont hurt your cats.

they are in the walls you need poison because the alpha and the female breeder will just live in the wall and make the little mice bring food.
no poison they will just destroy the house

its not that much money either

Weaselcracker I have seen the signs you have mentioned where I live. Damn those things will grow anywhere. I have never thought of them as a renewable resource. Thank you so much for the helpful hint. Finally they are useful for something.

I just spoke to my cousin in Baton Rogue and he used a 22 in his attic to kill squirles and he didnt realize till days later he hit a water pipe and caused a lot of damage.

The 22 shot shells (haven’t seen those around here for years) would save putting holes in the house, while still hopefully satisfying that manly lust for battle that the bucket trap kind of lacks.
:thumb:

Though on the other hand- sniping mice one by one sounds like a losing battle, and it’s hard to feel manly when mice are blatantly pissing and crapping all over your stuff. So.... whatever works.

whatever happened with your problem?
get her looked after?

Those little bastards in the walls.
Every bloody night it's 'party party party, fuck fight, fuck fight'. (Excuse my french)
Kill 'em all I say. 🤬

I use poison, traps with peanut butter, and a .22, although I don't use the .22 anymore because it puts holes in the wall :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom