Ravenplume Grow Journal 2022 #1: X2022 - Multiseed Wildling 2019 Grow

Ravenplume

Here is my second grow journal for 2022. Doubt there will be a third this year, unless for some reason I decide to get the Sour Sunset opportunity seed that has been waiting as long as the Mr. Clean seed to get germinated growing. Probably saving that for next year. Got more than enough to work with as it is.

So, this project is generically called X2022; which is a repeat of X2021, due to last year's project meeting only one of the objectives. So like last year, my goals for this grow are:

1 - Produce enough smokable bud to where I will be able to declare weed singularity (self supplied to where I should never need to buy from a dispensary again unless I want to try for more opportunity seeds)

2 - Have all plants actually sexed before June planting outside

3 - Have viable clones made of all plants either before June planting, or by mid July at the latest

4 - Have at least one female clone mate with a male plant to produce my first "baseline", what with these all being siblings

5 - Mate a 2019 Wildling clone with a Mr. Clean Lite clone to produce a Ravenplume Wildling-2022 bloodline for future experiments and breeding.

So I started this grow by separating out 4 sets of 4 Wildling-2019 seeds, each to have a slight variation on the 2 seeds 1 cup germination technique. That is, 4 were dropped in a cup of water and put under what I now call topside lighting cycle, and another 4 went into a cup of water and kept in a dark drawer, aka darkwater germination. Then I did another 4 topside and 4 darkwater, but gently cracked their seeds; with the purpose of all this being some halfass science as to what germination technique works best.

RPGJ-2022-01-00-TN.JPG
RPGJ-2022-01-00-1.jpg

The first major development for these seeds came on the 7th, when the 4 topside uncracked seeds, an uncracked darkwater, and a couple cracked darkwaters showed their tap roots.

RPGJ-2022-01-01.JPG

I was planning on giving these a full week before being planted, but seeing how quickly the Mr. Clean seed grew, I have a feeling I will be planting these in only a couple more days, 11th at the latest. And at this point, all 4 sprouted topsiders are growing pretty fast, as is one of the cracked darkwaters, so 5 will be getting planted then. The others can just hang in there until I decide they are too weak to keep around. Heck, the uncracked darkwater seed that sprouted sank to the bottom of the cup when I was going in for a closer look, and I haven't seen any progress since then, so it may be dead. I will determine at planting time if I will let those continue, or terminate them.

Meanwhile, I have another small handful of "unlogged" Wildling-2019 seeds soaking in the dark as backups just in case. That's all I got for now. Next update should be in a couple days when the first five get planted.

The first major development for these seeds came on the 7th, when the 4 topside uncracked seeds, an uncracked darkwater, and a couple cracked darkwaters showed their tap roots.

RPGJ-2022-01-01.JPG

I was planning on giving these a full week before being planted, but seeing how quickly the Mr. Clean seed grew, I have a feeling I will be planting these in only a couple more days, 11th at the latest. And at this point, all 4 sprouted topsiders are growing pretty fast, as is one of the cracked darkwaters, so 5 will be getting planted then. The others can just hang in there until I decide they are too weak to keep around. Heck, the uncracked darkwater seed that sprouted sank to the bottom of the cup when I was going in for a closer look, and I haven't seen any progress since then, so it may be dead. I will determine at planting time if I will let those continue, or terminate them.

Meanwhile, I have another small handful of "unlogged" Wildling-2019 seeds soaking in the dark as backups just in case. That's all I got for now. Next update should be in a couple days when the first five get planted.
I just love fresh beans. :woohoo:
Mind if I pull up a chair my friend @Ravenplume
Hope your having a good day. :popcorn:

Stay safe
Bill

I just love fresh beans. :woohoo:
Mind if I pull up a chair my friend @Ravenplume
Hope your having a good day. :popcorn:

Stay safe
Bill

Well, only a little after 9 in the morning at the moment. Brain and body are still waking up, but otherwise it is shaping up to be a good one indeed. In fact, I think when I step out for a noon toke and enjoy the warm, sunny front porch, I'm going to process the first couple branches of my Sour Banana Sherbert-2021, and even film some of the process as part of my wrap up for last year's grow journal.

For now, time for that second cup of coffee, a bit of random YouTubing, then get cracking on the next entry for X2022. Looks like the five firstborn will indeed be planted today. After that, it may be time to start getting my initial sunflower seedlings put in cups of dirt so they can grow out nicely before May planting. Those are what are visible soaking in those caps of water in the background.

First 5 X2022 seedlings are now planted in their nursery cups...

RPGJ-2022-01-02-00.JPG

And that has greatly reduced the clutter here in my "desktop nursery"

Here's how our first five were looking before planting:

RPGJ-2022-01-02-02.JPG

Three were definitely ready, and two even popped their shells during handling like the Mr. Clean seedling did.

First one, X2022-00 / RPW2019-12, gets to stay here in the Rookery, colocated with the Mr. Clean Seedling for the daily time lapse shot.

RPGJ-2022-01-02-03.JPG

The other four, X2022-01 through X2022-04 / RPW2019-13 through RPW2019-16 are sharing the space on my night stand with the cauliflower seedlings being grown in what I call "egghead" style.

RPGJ-2022-01-02-04.JPG

In another couple days, those cauliflower seedlings will be moved elsewhere (that is my housemate's project and he is excited over how those are coming along). Once that happens, I will turn my attention to the backup seeds that just sprouted this morning, and they will get the egghead treatment, sharing the space with those four.

The others from the initial run, are consolidated into a little cap of water and will be kept topside under the lamp here until I determine whether or not they be will be allowed to grow out, or get terminated.

I think that is pretty much all for this update. Now it is time to get my first couple branches of Bitter Sweet Pie-2021 processed for the beginnings of the wrap up of last year's grow journal I tried doing for her.

First 5 X2022 seedlings are now planted in their nursery cups...

RPGJ-2022-01-02-00.JPG

And that has greatly reduced the clutter here in my "desktop nursery"

Here's how our first five were looking before planting:

RPGJ-2022-01-02-02.JPG

Three were definitely ready, and two even popped their shells during handling like the Mr. Clean seedling did.

First one, X2022-00 / RPW2019-12, gets to stay here in the Rookery, colocated with the Mr. Clean Seedling for the daily time lapse shot.

RPGJ-2022-01-02-03.JPG

The other four, X2022-01 through X2022-04 / RPW2019-13 through RPW2019-16 are sharing the space on my night stand with the cauliflower seedlings being grown in what I call "egghead" style.

RPGJ-2022-01-02-04.JPG

In another couple days, those cauliflower seedlings will be moved elsewhere (that is my housemate's project and he is excited over how those are coming along). Once that happens, I will turn my attention to the backup seeds that just sprouted this morning, and they will get the egghead treatment, sharing the space with those four.

The others from the initial run, are consolidated into a little cap of water and will be kept topside under the lamp here until I determine whether or not they be will be allowed to grow out, or get terminated.

I think that is pretty much all for this update. Now it is time to get my first couple branches of Bitter Sweet Pie-2021 processed for the beginnings of the wrap up of last year's grow journal I tried doing for her.
Wooooohooooo :woohoo:
It's better than Christmas :cheer:

Stay safe
Bill

And then on the 17th, 5 of the backup seeds got planted, with the remainder either consolidated into one germination cap, which is being kept in the middle of the five, or otherwise terminated.

And coming up next will be a 4th journal for the Wildling-2020 seed I discovered...

RPGJ-2022-01-03.JPG

Alright. This ain't really an update per se (as in not significant enough to do a video for the journal), but I am thinking that once the Wildling-2020 seedling is ready for its cup of dirt (estimating a week for that), it will be time to get X2022-00, X2022-01, and X2022-04 upgraded into nice tall Stax cannisters and then let them continue growing under the lamp. The Mr. Clean Lite seedling will also get upgraded then, and I suppose that will wrap up the first timelapse photo set for these.

RPX2022-00-20220228.JPG
RPX2022-01-04-20220228.JPG

I figured that having their second level of baby leaves is a good sign that they are ready for planter upgrades. And after they are secured, I can get some of the other backups better positioned to help them get to level 2 as well.

It is also a good bet that by that time, a lot of my sunflower starters will be moved to a "pen" where they can be put outside during the day and brought in at night, at least until the next late Winter early Spring freeze. But that is a whole set of other articles and journals and not for here (unless I get into working with sunflowers as companion plants for cannabis, but that is probably a 2023 or 2024 project.)

And now for a few updates...

Back on the 10th of February, the Primaries; X2022-00, -01, and -04 were all upgraded from their styro cups into Stax cannisters, which have 4 times the volume; and they, along with the Mr. Clean Lite have had the corner spot here as their place until further notice. They are also continuing the time laps project at this stage. I figure they will be ready for their big upgrade into 5 gallon buckets by either the end of March or mid April. What do ya all think?

RPGJ-2022-01-10.JPG

I am also guessing that they still have a way to go before cuttings can be taken for sexing.

Yesterday, I was noticing that the backups that have been getting shuffled outside during the day then brought in and covered at night were looking a bit weak and iffy. Though I think once we get to where there are no freezing or below temperatures coming, I will be able to keep them outside with some sunflower starters for camoflage 24/7, and they can start shaping up properly.

RPGJ-2022-01-08.JPG

In the meantime, I figured no harm in starting more backups, aka backup backups. I actually pulled a dozen to germinate in groups of four with three different techniques: 2 Seeds/1 Cup - Topside Lighting Cycle, 2 Seeds/1Cup - Darkwater Germination, and what I now call Dark Sauna Germination, with the seeds on a damp paper towel in a zipper baggie, and kept in a dark drawer like the Darkwaters.

RPGJ-2022-01-09.JPG

Less than 24 hours later, 2 of the topsides, 3 Darkwaters, and 1 Dark Sauna have sprouted, and will hopefully be ready for cups of dirt by the weekend, or early next week.

RPGJ-2022-01-06-TN.JPG

Not expecting to have much more in the way of updates for a while now; except for when the Backup Backups get planted. That would just be a minor update though. Next big update would likely be when the 3 primaries get moved into their 5 gallon buckets.

So, think it may be about time to get at least a couple of these moved to 5 gallon buckets in preparation for being kept outside once we no longer have any more freezes coming up?

X2022-Time-For-Buckets.JPG

At the very least, the two on the ends (X2022:04 and X2022:01) should be ready. I think the front right one though (X2022:00) will remain here for now and one of the backups that are growing on my night stand can take its place.

The other front one, the Mr. Clean Lite will get a bucket then as well, and most of what is basking under the lamp on my night stand can be moved into the vacancies and even continue this time lapse I have going.

And I just took a peek over there, in fact, and got a couple more pics, and it looks like at that point, I will be able to temporarily reclaim my nightstand until the backup backups are ready to get their cups of dirt.

X2022-Nightstand-Crew.JPG

The largest of these four (X2022:07) will be going in one of the 5 gallon buckets, and the other three; ( :05, :08, and :09 ) will join :00 and :13 in here. All that leaves is :06...

X2022-06-Window-Test.JPG

That one is sharing space with my bedroom spider plant under a south facing window with closed blinds, as a side experiment in lighting conditions. It seems to be doing alright for now, so can remain as a backup right where it is.

That's about it for this update. Probably really need to consider doing a comprehensive video update on my BitChute channel soon and start working on my web page.

The Mr. Clean journal will get its update when it actually gets moved to its bucket.

So, think it may be about time to get at least a couple of these moved to 5 gallon buckets in preparation for being kept outside once we no longer have any more freezes coming up?

X2022-Time-For-Buckets.JPG

At the very least, the two on the ends (X2022:04 and X2022:01) should be ready. I think the front right one though (X2022:00) will remain here for now and one of the backups that are growing on my night stand can take its place.

The other front one, the Mr. Clean Lite will get a bucket then as well, and most of what is basking under the lamp on my night stand can be moved into the vacancies and even continue this time lapse I have going.

And I just took a peek over there, in fact, and got a couple more pics, and it looks like at that point, I will be able to temporarily reclaim my nightstand until the backup backups are ready to get their cups of dirt.

X2022-Nightstand-Crew.JPG

The largest of these four (X2022:07) will be going in one of the 5 gallon buckets, and the other three; ( :05, :08, and :09 ) will join :00 and :13 in here. All that leaves is :06...

X2022-06-Window-Test.JPG

That one is sharing space with my bedroom spider plant under a south facing window with closed blinds, as a side experiment in lighting conditions. It seems to be doing alright for now, so can remain as a backup right where it is.

That's about it for this update. Probably really need to consider doing a comprehensive video update on my BitChute channel soon and start working on my web page.

The Mr. Clean journal will get its update when it actually gets moved to its bucket.
Hey @Ravenplume great garden my friend.
Just curious, how do you uppot a Pringles can?

Stay safe
Bill

Most likely what I will do when the time comes is dig out a Stax cannister shaped crater in the dirt, use a spoon or butter knife to loosen the dirt around the edge of the cannister, then gently tip it over so the plant, dirt clod, and root ball all slide out together, then gently lower it all into the crater and fill it in up to the plant's second level of leaves.

And the Stax cannisters remain reusable this way instead of cutting them up.

It will be similar to how we went from trash container to putting in the ground for last year's, only this will just be a one person job instead of 2.

Still waiting on the weather to not show a bunch of sub freezing and near freezing nights, so my primaries and Mr Clean Lite are still awaiting planting in their 5 gallon buckets to be kept outside 24/7...

RPGJX2022-04-Biggest-0.JPG

So anyway, # 04 has really caught my eye. It's the biggest one here

RPGJX2022-04-Biggest-1.JPG

And what really caught my eye is here in the crook of these branches...

RPGJX2022-04-Possible-Preflowers.JPG

Are these preflowers I am seeing here, or is this just where I will be seeing the preflowers when the time comes?

And if they are preflowers, should I be concerned? Would that mean it is actually starting to flower way early? The lighting cycle has been pretty lengthy lately, since the lights are on them from when I wake up to before I go to bed; and I have been keeping some odd hours lately. If it is flowering, should it be pretty easy to get it back to veg?

Still waiting on the weather to not show a bunch of sub freezing and near freezing nights, so my primaries and Mr Clean Lite are still awaiting planting in their 5 gallon buckets to be kept outside 24/7...

RPGJX2022-04-Biggest-0.JPG

So anyway, # 04 has really caught my eye. It's the biggest one here

RPGJX2022-04-Biggest-1.JPG

And what really caught my eye is here in the crook of these branches...

RPGJX2022-04-Possible-Preflowers.JPG

Are these preflowers I am seeing here, or is this just where I will be seeing the preflowers when the time comes?

And if they are preflowers, should I be concerned? Would that mean it is actually starting to flower way early? The lighting cycle has been pretty lengthy lately, since the lights are on them from when I wake up to before I go to bed; and I have been keeping some odd hours lately. If it is flowering, should it be pretty easy to get it back to veg?
Preflowers are just indicating sex.
Not that she is in flower, your fine.
We're they all fems?
Just curious how are you getting them out of the long thin Pringles can? :Namaste:
When you have to uppot them.

Stay safe
Bill

Preflowers are just indicating sex.
Not that she is in flower, your fine.
We're they all fems?
Just curious how are you getting them out of the long thin Pringles can? :Namaste:
When you have to uppot them.

Stay safe
Bill
These are all my 2019 Wildlings... the X2022 plants that is. Mr Clean Lite was an opportunity seed). No idea if any are male or female at this time. I am still hoping for one male and at least 2 females, then the male gets to be a houseplant until needed. I'm still hoping that after they get moved to their 5 gallon buckets, I will be able to take a cutting or two of each to sex before putting in the ground come June. Of course, those cuttings will get revegged and grown out for next year's plants and possibly a Winter breeding experiment.

It should be a pretty simple matter to use a flat butter knife, or other long flat bit of metal all around the edge of the cannister to loosen the dirt all around, then upturning the entire thing and letting it all slide out as one single mass of dirt and roots. I got pretty good at that recently transferring from styro cups to Stax cannisters (I even have my technique refined to where the cup can be cleaned up and reused now), so the next upgrade should be as simple.

Still haven't had a chance to get the four into their 5 gallon buckets to be kept outside until planting, as Ms. Nature keeps messing with us...

So the babies continue growing under the lamp.

RPGJ-2022-01-13.JPG

Good thing I was done with the time lapse on these, since the lamps positioning was blinding me when I would look that direction, I had to rotate it 90 degrees and then reposition all the plants appropriately as you can see. -04, the biggest one was kissing the light too closely and got the tips of a couple leaves a bit burned. I think having the lamp facing a nice white wall may actually help a bit as well, as the wall should bounce back otherwise wasted light to the plants. Still plan on raising the lamp another few inches soon.

Also looking forward to getting some of these moved to this spot once there are vacancies...

RPGJ-2022-01-14.JPG

With this many healthy siblings growing inside here, surely I will finally get at least one brother among them to finally push forward on my " grand design(tm) " And most definitely should have an awesome harvest come October or late September.

Still haven't had a chance to get the four into their 5 gallon buckets to be kept outside until planting, as Ms. Nature keeps messing with us...

So the babies continue growing under the lamp.

RPGJ-2022-01-13.JPG

Good thing I was done with the time lapse on these, since the lamps positioning was blinding me when I would look that direction, I had to rotate it 90 degrees and then reposition all the plants appropriately as you can see. -04, the biggest one was kissing the light too closely and got the tips of a couple leaves a bit burned. I think having the lamp facing a nice white wall may actually help a bit as well, as the wall should bounce back otherwise wasted light to the plants. Still plan on raising the lamp another few inches soon.

Also looking forward to getting some of these moved to this spot once there are vacancies...

RPGJ-2022-01-14.JPG

With this many healthy siblings growing inside here, surely I will finally get at least one brother among them to finally push forward on my " grand design(tm) " And most definitely should have an awesome harvest come October or late September.
Are you in the Blue Mountains my friend?
Or close I guess?
Hope your having a good day.

Stay safe
Bill

Not far from the base of the Elkhorns (part the Blue Mountains) in Eastern Oregon's Baker Valley, yes.

Alright, another little update here. Not going to bother making a video for this.

Had to swap out the lamp here in the Rookery, as the previous one has a flakey touch sensitive switch and it is a crapshoot every morning whether or not it will come on with the first touch, or if I will have to make a bunch of little adjustments (I think the problem is a wire going up through the neck joint to the light, which is why adjusting the hood in all sorts of directions seemed to fix it.)

RPGJ-2022-01-17.JPG

So the touch switch lamp has been replaced with a similar type, but with a good solid clicky switch. The other one will get repaired. Should be pretty simple rocket surgery.

My big regret is that I did not at least wait until I was fully awake and with at least one fresh cup of coffee in me before trying to get the lamp to work, as I became more and more careless the more it kept fucking up until finally an incident happened that warrants making gratuitous use of the fuck word...

One of the babies took a headlong dive, spilling dirt everywhere and breaking its neck. The damage was instantly fatal. So a moment of silence for X2022:00...

RPGJ-2022-01-18.JPG

This is a reason I have several backups standing by though. I'm just glad it was not the Mr. Clean Lite instead. That would have been a real tragedy, as I have no backup seeds. This one is an only child. And of course with my 4/20 Challenge going on, there will be plenty more backups a-coming.

At least, after I got the area vacuumed up, I was then able to reconfigure the corner nursery to support more subjects. This configuration is only until the two tallest ones, the ones on top of that colander fuckamajig in the picture below get their 5 gallon buckets and get put outside once there are no more freezes coming.

RPGJ-2022-01-19.JPG

After that, my old Linux box that is slated for a repair will go back there. This also clears out the tray on my nightstand except for one each dwarf gray sugar pea and cucumber seedlings for now. I'm sure Nature will find a way to fill that space soon though.

So lessons learned..

1: Wait until full wakefulness sets in before doing anything significant.
2: Don't be fucking lazy. If you need to adjust things, move all the babies to safety first. (duh)

Back
Top Bottom