Reeferator, CFLs and LEDs in a Working Refrigerator

+reps thanks for the help!

Yeah my personal favorite thing is why I built it... I can grow my cold weather vegetables year round. I can even give my greens a good freeze before harvest so they get that nice bitter flavor and no more bolted broccoli! I build these and sell them all the time for local health food types and people who want to start their plants early to transplant to the garden in April.

I have one full of tomatoes and cooking herbs right now, stupid rosemary is hard as Hell to germinate 1 in 8! I just finished taking a old fridge apart (the divider between the fridge and freezer section came out after much disassembly) that will allow for 48 inch vertical lights! I am gonna try to grow some cucumbers in it, well or a super plant....hmmmmm?

Re: I misread therefor I lied.

1strongest_plant_close_up_8march.jpg

I believe a see male preflowers on this one. They are still very very small so don't do anything just yet. I would just watch this one closely. Let's hope I'm wrong. :wood:

Movin' On Down.

I moved the shelf down to its next to last position today. I am looking for them to stretch a little and I am gonna pull them to the side, one way LST. Then I will bring the shelf back up and give them time to recover. Speaking of recover if you look at some of the tips, I tried to kill them by playing on the river all day yesterday and missed watering day, oops! Everybody recovered with an average of one lost leaf per plant. I think one of the little plants might have a rougher recovery, as it was the only one this afternoon who had not perked back up yet. O.k. I will shut up and share pictures!

Still waiting for sex!
still_no_sex_11mar.jpg
no_sex_11mar.jpg

recooped_11mar.jpg

The thermostat probe moved as well.
probed_11mar.jpg
dropped_the_self_11mar.jpg
might_stretch_11mar.jpg

Thanks for riding along Mardo. I am really getting antsy on them showing sex I know it really doesn't matter because I can't change anything, but dag-nabit! I find myself staring at the nodes everyday just looking for little signs... LOL! Oh well, It will be what it is and next time I am just gonna take the potential hit and use my clones from the good stuff.

Side note: My Tangerine Dream mother I got going back in January is about to get butchered into a shit ton of clones.

Overall updates.

It was looking great in the Reeferator, but the fan leaves on a couple of the plants were getting huge. They were taking a ton of light and slowing down some sites that were coming up from the bottom so I trimmed two or three leaves off each plant.
super_healthy_15_mar.jpg

15mar_after_fan_leaf_trimming.jpg

The box got a little hot today with the high humidity and heat, I will have to get off my butt and get the light supply air duct installed. The plants were completely unaffected.
hot_today_15_mar.jpg

Plants by Number. GIVE ME YOUR SEX EVALUATIONS!

Ladies and gentleman let me introduce Plant Number One... I believe we have a lady in the crowd.
15mar_number_one_looks_like_a_girl.jpg

15mar_number_one_height.jpg

Now for number two, pretty sure a male.
15march_number_two_sex_possible_male.jpg

15mar_number_two_height.jpg

15mar_2_close_up.jpg

Now for Number three, a male as well I believe.
15mar_number_3_height.jpg

15mar_number_3_preflowers.jpg

15mar_3_close_up.jpg

Now for number 4. It is still too early to tell as far as I can see.
15march_number_4_height.jpg

15mar_number_four_sex_undetermined.jpg

PLEASE REPLY with your assessment of sex.

Have been doing it for a while. These are just some BS strains that I really don't care about, just a good hardy strain that can take temperature extremes for testing the Reeferator. My tried and true method is as follows:

After the sacks mature and start to pop open I carefully trim them off and drop in a small paper lunch bag ( one plant per bag ONLY), let dry then dump out onto a clean glass surface. Use a short and stiff bristled fine tip paint brush to remove all the pollen then I use a razor blade to collect it all off the table and store in a baby food jar labeled with the date, strain and a # that I correlate to my grow journals with that plant's characteristics for good breeding results, or to figure out who to toss. Also remember you need to breed back the plants you like from your first cross with the same pollen AT LEAST twice to stabilize, and some hybrids won't stabilize (case and point Headband).

As far as this strain goes I have plenty of seeds.

Two ladies and two boys for the compost pile.

I pulled the boys before they could taint my ladies. I cut them up and threw them in the compost bucket, might as well get as much of my nutrient money back as I can.
compost_barrel.jpg

I went to the hydro shop yesterday to get some more coco, YUP COCO! I was gonna do a Canna Terra with dirt and Canna Coco in GH Coco side by side with some Pineapple clones, but when I went to the hydro shop yesterday they gave me a 2 cu. ft. bag of this new stuff and asked me if I would try it out and tell them how it did. It is called Advanced Ultra Coir, it's basically a blend that they say is for hydroponic style growing, but the mix looks to me me more like a soil substitute. I am probably goona do a little trading for the ladies and get a new 4 bulb T5HO 24" fixture and the Canna Coco nutes and use 4 Pineapple clones off the same plant. I took clones 2 nights ago and I will do a side by side in 2 gallon smart pots. Two in GH Coco and two in this mix by Sunshine. One thing I am beginning to notice, having never touched Coco, is that it REALLY holds moisture! I hydrated a brick like 3 days ago and strained it through a smart pot and squeezed most of the excess water out of it and 3 days later the pot is still dripping wet on the bottom... I need to do more research on this stuff. The hydro shop said a drip system would be good, but I'm afraid it will stay too wet.
17mar_new_medium_ingredients.jpg
17mar_new_medium.jpg
pineapple_clones_15_march.jpg

Allmost impossible to over water coco. My ladies (100% canna coco no amendments) are still wet 24 hours after I feed them and still feed them again. The water dripping out the bottom pulls air into the root zone. As long as u have drain holes on the bottom of ur pots ur good. Coco is hydro too so never let the coco dry out ever. I'm excited to see that new stuff in action, what's the price compared to cannas?

Allmost impossible to over water coco. My ladies (100% canna coco no amendments) are still wet 24 hours after I feed them and still feed them again. The water dripping out the bottom pulls air into the root zone. As long as u have drain holes on the bottom of ur pots ur good. Coco is hydro too so never let the coco dry out ever. I'm excited to see that new stuff in action, what's the price compared to cannas?

Have no idea on the price, when I walked over and grabbed the 11 lb brick of GH coco my guy said, "hey man what's up? I've got something for you," and tossed it in my truck. I am going to use 2 gallon smart pots or 3.76liter (6" x 6") White Square Plastic Pots. Don't know yet. I am really on a learning curve with this coco stuff, what kind of veg time are you having to go with, everything I've seen the plants continue to grow like crazy in the coco. I may have to flower when they are like 8 inches tall to keep them in my grow box.

8" with some strains will give me 26-30" plants. The SQ1s I just harvested were 8" when I flowered and finished about 31" where blue mistic flowered at 7" gave me a 3' plant lol. I think 6-8" with no vedge (just make sure they are rooted nice) is perfect for the reeferator, basically sog setup. U can but the 6" pots up next to eachother to if flowered at or b4 8 inches.

Flowering them small with allot in a small area is a sea of green (sog) setup. Depending how large ur clones r will determine what kind of vedge time is needed. Coco grows very fast, u can have a very large root mass in a very small container. Flowering this small will allow u to place the pots right up next to each other. After 8" they will be way to big after the stretch. I'd say 6-7 inchers max cuz Pineapple express can stretch like a bitch

Back
Top Bottom