Refrigerated dehumidifier fire concerns

gazmufc

Hey folks
I bought a dehumidifier online and now I'm worried it's to big for a 4x4..
Its a refrigerated dehumidifier that it says not to be used in areas where there's heat. There's also gas inside this one which I'm concerned about. It says the gas needs refilled every now and again which is another thing it didn't mention on the Web spec. That's a bit of a pain in its self. Just thought I'd run it by here to see if any of yous have used a refrigerated dehumidifier. Thanks in advance.. 👍

IMG_20230105_111942.jpg

IMG_20230105_111852.jpg

IMG_20230105_111838.jpg

IMG_20230105_111715.jpg

IMG_20230105_111705.jpg

IMG_20230105_111553.jpg

IMG_20230105_111533.jpg

Hi Gaz - does sound a bit OTT
A plain condensing dehum doesn't come with all that hassle; is the refrigeration really necessary?
How do you dispose of the used gas and how much is a refill?

If you're worried about safety, first thing is check the fuse in the plug; most imports come with a 13a fuse which is way overrated for 150w appliance - replace with a 3a fuse

@bill
Hi Gaz - does sound a bit OTT
A plain condensing dehum doesn't come with all that hassle; is the refrigeration really necessary?
How do you dispose of the used gas and how much is a refill?

If you're worried about safety, first thing is check the fuse in the plug; most imports come with a 13a fuse which is way overrated for 150w appliance - replace with a 3a fuse
Hey Roy thanks for replying. Yeah it didn't mention anything about it being gas refrigerated in the Web spec, I'm a little piss3d tbh.. Literally coming end of week 6 of flower and rh is 72 during the day and 80 at nte.. I've got 2 fan and ac extracting so no sign of mould thank fkk..

Says on the manual u have to get a professional to refill it., and not to use it close to heat sources So a think it's to much hassle and to much paranoia worriing is it leaking. Cuz it also says thee gas is orderless, so ya wudnt even know lol.. Its easy to be returned, so a think OK just take the shipping hit and send it back. Cud u recommend any dehumidifiers for a 4x4?

First one I got wasn't strong enough, but it still reducing the rh from 80s to low 70s. It's at leat doing something

Yes, think I'd send it back too - not worth the worry

I use a MonHouse from 'zon and dehumidify the entire room
It's about 1ft square and 2ft high if you have space in the tent
The intake is at the rear with a built in filter, and dry air is pumped out of the top
Just set it to 40/50/60RH and that's it - variable settings for night mode, laundry drying etc, auto shut off, timer and a 3L tank or the option to run it directly to drain via a hose

Yes, think I'd send it back too - not worth the worry

I use a MonHouse from 'zon and dehumidify the entire room
It's about 1ft square and 2ft high if you have space in the tent
The intake is at the rear with a built in filter, and dry air is pumped out of the top
Just set it to 40/50/60RH and that's it - variable settings for night mode, laundry drying etc, auto shut off, timer and a 3L tank or the option to run it directly to drain via a hose
Can u post a link to it please, just curious to see it. I've been looking for that brand and only 1.2lt versions are coming up. First one I bought wasn't powerful enough, then this one is to powerful lol.. I really wanna get it right the 3rd time if buying one. Sorry for hassle and thanks.. 👍

No help here, my dehums came across on Mayflower circa 1990s (GE from Sams Club) they are kinda old school but what you have def sounds overly complex.

yessir, I’d swap it for another model.
Thanks for the input bud. Was actually excited when it arrived this morning, now feeling like a deflated balloon 🤦‍♂️.. Still tho, I'd rather not have it annoying me. No where on the spec does it mention it's a refrigerated dehumidifier. If just cheked. U use dehumidifiers that are over 20s old?? Would u not be worried about them going on fire? That's the one thing I'm very warty about. I'm defo gonna get few of these fore ball thingys

I bought a matching pair brand new prolly 1996, used them couple summers and put them back in the box. Didn’t really need them again until I started growing indoors late 2019…

Yes I do worry some about risk of fire and I’d like to replace them but they are solid units with fairly low mileage. I don’t need dehum until summer and I’m planning to go outdoors with my crop.

hmm didn’t understand fore ball thingys? Help me out here

never used the tiny sonic dehums but they only pull a liter per day or something really low, I’d steer clear and just get “cabinet” model

it'll work fine. refrigerated models work quicker / more efficiently than the old drum type. the tradeoff is the use of the refrigerant, which is flammable. it uses a weak propane, mostly due to cost. adding or checking the refrigerant is no problem. don't place it near a furnace if you're worried about safety. you don't want it near open flame as a precaution.

the real drawback to that brand is a reported short lifespan when in continuous or constant use. the fans are the fail point, usually quitting long before the rest of the unit reaches its end of lifespan. some of the lesser models don't have a rh% setting, only an on / off function, making them less useful.

the larger question is why you need it in the first place. most folk needing dehum aren't extracting or moving air properly to begin. if that isn't solved for a dehum will just be a band aid solution. the first place to begin is make sure you are scrubbing and exhausting air to the outdoor direct from the grow space. especially in flower.

be aware that while a dehum will remove rh, it will also promote mold if it can't stay ahead.

it'll work fine. refrigerated models work quicker / more efficiently than the old drum type. the tradeoff is the use of the refrigerant, which is flammable. it uses a weak propane, mostly due to cost. adding or checking the refrigerant is no problem. don't place it near a furnace if you're worried about safety. you don't want it near open flame as a precaution.

the real drawback to that brand is a reported short lifespan when in continuous or constant use. the fans are the fail point, usually quitting long before the rest of the unit reaches its end of lifespan. some of the lesser models don't have a rh% setting, only an on / off function, making them less useful.

the larger question is why you need it in the first place. most folk needing dehum aren't extracting or moving air properly to begin. if that isn't solved for a dehum will just be a band aid solution. the first place to begin is make sure you are scrubbing and exhausting air to the outdoor direct from the grow space. especially in flower.

be aware that while a dehum will remove rh, it will also promote mold if it can't stay ahead.
Hey butler, thanks for commenting. Yeah I've got my tent set up about 4 ft from back window that is facing north!
It gets good air flow. I live in Ireland so it's usually damp here. I've got just a passive intake, desk top fan blowing in the bottom intake, and then as infinity extracting out of the room into the up stairs area. This area is well ventilated as its between bathroom and bedroom, which I leave both windows open.

What's really putting me off is the gas in it, if it leaks you cant smell it. My RH right now is at 71! Il post a wee shot, all developing nicely, and no sign of mold. Have 2 fans running. Think I may be OK until drying starts.. Then I will really need a dehumidifier that can just sit in the tent and keep the RH at 60.. Can u recommend any models that will do the job? Its for 4x4

IMG_20230103_222620.jpg

Its a refrigerated dehumidifier that it says not to be used in areas where there's heat.
I put Mr. Google to work and it would seem that the first concern is that a leak of the refrigerate is unhealthy. The chance of a fire is lower down but still possible. After some reading of a few on-line articles it seems that you have a type of refrigerator. The refrigerator is used to cool off foods and keep them within a consistent temperature range. The dehumidifier you bought is used to cool off the air and that causes the moisture to condense to water which the unit helps remove.

The household refrigerator is designed to run unattended, day after day. The refrigerated dehumidifier is not designed the same and someone is supposed to be around while it is running. You did the best thing in deciding to send it back.

Hi Bluter - It doesn't need to be on constantly

If you set it up correctly adjusted and utilize the timer, an hour or two a day is enough to draw 2-3L of water
Once the initial dry out is done [ie walls, soft furnishings etc], it will maintain the lower RH much more effectively this way

Like OP I only have two windows which both face North East so there is no other option to keep the flat dry and free from mould

you live in a high rh climate. the best advice is to duct waste air direct to outdoor, and condition the air the tent is in. leaving windows open etc is ok but a super crappy way to control stuff. you'll be at the whims of nature. the idea is to control the environment, not constantly react to it.

creating a lung room is generally the best way to deal with high rh or other difficult conditions. you make sure the lung room runs well and let the grow do it's thing.
finding a dehum that doesn't refrigerate could be an issue. the old type are being discontinued. most won't tell you if they rely on one when you buy it. anything that can do a 4x4 will probably be refrigerated now. especially in europe, as they use less energy.

Hi Bluter - It doesn't need to be on constantly

If you set it up correctly adjusted and utilize the timer, an hour or two a day is enough to draw 2-3L of water
Once the initial dry out is done [ie walls, soft furnishings etc], it will maintain the lower RH much more effectively this way

Like OP I only have two windows which both face North East so there is no other option to keep the flat dry and free from mould

that brand has models that can trigger on the rh and smaller ones that are on/off only. not sure what he has.

you live in a high rh climate. the best advice is to duct waste air direct to outdoor, and condition the air the tent is in. leaving windows open etc is ok but a super crappy way to control stuff. you'll be at the whims of nature. the idea is to control the environment, not constantly react to it.

creating a lung room is generally the best way to deal with high rh or other difficult conditions. you make sure the lung room runs well and let the grow do it's thing.
finding a dehum that doesn't refrigerate could be an issue. they old type are being discontinued. most won't tell you if they rely on one when you buy it. anything that can do a 4x4 will probably be refrigerated now. especially in europe, as they use less energy.

that brand has models that can trigger on the rh and smaller ones that are on/off only. not sure what he has.
The cheaper ones that don't have the auto settings are pretty useless and do need to be run constantly, agree
By using a slightly overpowered model, it can be run less often for shorter periods and, because it's not constantly running full belt, it should last much longer
Works for me, esp when drying because it circulates air at a fixed setting

The cheaper ones that don't have the auto settings are pretty useless and do need to be run constantly, agree
By using a slightly overpowered model, it can be run less often for shorter periods and, because it's not constantly running full belt, it should last much longer
Works for me, esp when drying because it circulates air at a fixed setting

bigger is usually better. when running larger grows we calculated for the room the grow spaces were in (lung room), not the area of the grow space itself. the dehum was run outside the grow space / tent in the lung room, and was passively
pulled in.

edit : anything cheap to run and efficient will have a refrigerant. they are almost like an ac.

I put Mr. Google to work and it would seem that the first concern is that a leak of the refrigerate is unhealthy. The chance of a fire is lower down but still possible. After some reading of a few on-line articles it seems that you have a type of refrigerator. The refrigerator is used to cool off foods and keep them within a consistent temperature range. The dehumidifier you bought is used to cool off the air and that causes the moisture to condense to water which the unit helps remove.

The household refrigerator is designed to run unattended, day after day. The refrigerated dehumidifier is not designed the same and someone is supposed to be around while it is running. You did the best thing in deciding to send it back.
Thanks wings for commenting. Great feedback and advice from the community here as always. Yeah I just come off the phone with them, alls arrenged. They made me pay for the returns delivery charge. 17e. Not to bad. Now just to find one. Have seen some good ones, but a lot of them are out of stock right now. Bummer. What dehumidifier do u run with?

What dehumidifier do u run with?

you might be limited to one with a refrigerant. once they get to a certain size here that's how they build them. not sure you have access to a condenser type large enough in europe. they are being phased out in canada as well. the top 5 best all use refrigerant.

Back
Top Bottom