Repotting and nutrients? Living Soils

Mat1111

Most feeding schedules I've seen for soil start adding nutrients around week 2/3. This also seems to be about the time many look to transplant into a bigger pot.

If you're transplanting into a nutrient heavy soil (like All Mix) how does this change the nutrient schedule if at all?

Do you delay adding nutrients?

Stick to the schedule with lower concentration?

Something else?

Most feeding schedules I've seen for soil start adding nutrients around week 2/3. This also seems to be about the time many look to transplant into a bigger pot.

If you're transplanting into a nutrient heavy soil (like All Mix) how does this change the nutrient schedule if at all?

Something else?
Hey Mat :ciao: hope you are well my friend.
I personally stick to the schedule.
Regardless of when I up pot.
I also feed full strength all the time regardless of what's in the soil.
I like big healthy girls and never dependent on the soil.
Give them what they need and they will eat what they can.:morenutes:
That's just my method, others may differ, 2c.
Take care

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Something else?
First, you have a misconception. MOST feeding schedules start at the seedling stage and I defy you to find one that does not. There are many who believe that it is best to wait 2-3 weeks before adding nutes because they are minimalists and timid growers who don't like to push their plants, minimalizing their risk. We have started to use words like nutrients instead of the age old term, fertilizer. Plants can adapt to grow in regular soil and they do it all the time out in nature. We use Fertilizer to make them bigger, and better than they would be growing naturally. Don't be afraid of your fertilizer. Use it as directed and you will gradually ramp up the levels to not just what the plant "needs" but what it can handle, and you will grow big plants because of it. Trust the folks who make your nutrients, not some online yahoo who claims to be a grow god and who knows a better way.

Many folks look to uppot for various reasons. The only valid reason is that you filled up your container with roots and now need more space. The reason we start in small constricted places is to force the plants to develop root balls in each of our stages. Week 2-3 would be hurrying this process quite a bit because it is not a race to get into the larger pot. Uppotting should only be done when the roots are so strong that the plant can drain the container of water in a day or so and you have lost the buffer of time that soil gives you.

Plants can not get everything that a living soil has to give them, unless there are microbes working in that soil who then bring processed raw nutrients to the roots. If you are feeding from a bottle, it makes little difference what is in the soil if it is not bio available. You should absolutely NOT adjust your nutes based on your perception of how strong the soil is and again do not trust online gurus who advise you not to follow the directions.

Don't be afraid of your fertilizer. Use it as directed and you will gradually ramp up the levels to not just what the plant "needs" but what it can handle
^ Yep
@CelestialNurseries - Yep!

Think it was Ed Rosenthal that uttered these words of wisdom: [I swear by his Grow Bible]

'If you haven't got slightly yellowing tips on your leaves, you are most likely under feeding and not utilizing the plant to its full potential'

So in summary to your question, feed as normal would appear to be the consensus :cool:

Hope that has helped you come to a decision Growmie (don't know what one of those is, but people have called me that so I assume it's not offensive lol)

Hey Mat :ciao: hope you are well my friend.
I personally stick to the schedule.
Regardless of when I up pot.
I also feed full strength all the time regardless of what's in the soil.
I like big healthy girls and never dependent on the soil.

That's good to hear!

Have you ever had any issues?

Do you feed every water?

^ Yep
@CelestialNurseries - Yep!

Think it was Ed Rosenthal that uttered these words of wisdom: [I swear by his Grow Bible]

'If you haven't got slightly yellowing tips on your leaves, you are most likely under feeding and not utilizing the plant to its full potential'

So in summary to your question, feed as normal would appear to be the consensus :cool:

Hope that has helped you come to a decision Growmie (don't know what one of those is, but people have called me that so I assume it's not offensive lol)

Yo Growmie! I like that :cool:

Do you feed every water? I believe that is what BioBizz recommends

Don't be afraid of your fertilizer. Use it as directed and you will gradually ramp up the levels to not just what the plant "needs" but what it can handle, and you will grow big plants because of it. Trust the folks who make your nutrients, not some online yahoo who claims to be a grow god and who knows a better way.

Point taken! I'll start by following the schedule :cool:

Looking at the BioBizz schedule again has week 1 starting when the plant is 10-15cm high and has 2-4 leaves. I think the schedules I was looking at were missing this disclaimer. Would you still recommend starting from day 1? maybe just the root stim?

The BioBizz rep on YouTube also recommends feeding every water but then in the same sentence recommends lowering the dosage... that obviously adds a bit of confusion. .

Point taken! I'll start by following the schedule :cool:

The BioBizz rep on YouTube recommends feeding every water but then in the same sentence recommends lowering the dosage... that obviously adds a bit of confusion. .
Here we have a rep, actually contradicting his own company's written documentation who is lucky that I am not his boss. Him doing that, dis-representing his company, is perfectly illustrative of the overall problem here, people throwing out their own personal bro science advice, usually minimalist advice, just so that they look knowledgeable and wise. It happens all the time, all over the internet.

Here we have a rep, actually contradicting his own company's written documentation who is lucky that I am not his boss. Him doing that, dis-representing his company, is perfectly illustrative of the overall problem here, people throwing out their own personal bro science advice, usually minimalist advice, just so that they look knowledgeable and wise. It happens all the time, all over the internet.

I also missed the disclaimer on the BioBizz feeding schedule that is often missing from 3rd party sites when they share the image. The BioBizz schedule has week 1 starting when the plant is 10-15cm high and has 2-4 leaves. I think the schedules I was looking at were missing this.

Would you still recommend starting from day 1? maybe just the root stim?

Looking at the BioBizz schedule again has week 1 starting when the plant is 10-15cm high and has 2-4 leaves. I think the schedules I was looking at were missing this disclaimer. Would you still recommend starting from day 1? maybe just the root stim?
Even I don't fertilize on day 1... week 1, yes, but the first few days a plant is up are critical and the plant still is not established, or locked tight in position by its roots, so anything can happen. We are extra careful in these early days to just lightly water and let the plant do what it needs to do. The first 2-4 leaves happen quickly... in the first 2-4 days. I think we are talking about the same thing here, if we are not playing games with semantics.

The BioBizz schedule has week 1 starting when the plant is 10-15cm high and has 2-4 leaves. I think the schedules I was looking at were missing this.
semantics.... week 1 starts as soon as they unfurl the first 2 leaves and start processing daylight. Height is not a measurable factor since some plants are short and some are tall, and depending on your light the plants can stretch for more light or be perfectly happy being short. If you count the cotyledons, which I don't know why you wouldn't, 2 leaves also happens on that first day above ground. I wait till I can see 4 leaves, which happens on day 2. So there you see BioBizz being political with their wording.... they and I are saying the same thing, but if they came out and said you can freely use their fertilizer from the day the plants hit the surface, there would be heads exploding all over the place... so they word it a little differently.

Mmm Biobizz question !

I've been using this sizzle for some time :ganjamon:

I mean the nutrient brand or so called fertilizer......... !

The schedule is a rule of thumb guide & not related to any specific plant as this would break many International Laws etc on regards of growing cannabis in what ever part of the world you reside in... Ye gets complicated !

How ever guide lines can be worked around & that is purely level of understanding :green_heart:

That's good to hear!

Have you ever had any issues?

Do you feed every water?
I use Bokashi, Frass & @DYNOMYCO feeds my roots for me.
Usually never have issues.
Actually I do feed every time.
I run coco Usually which is feed every day, so I've just been feeding the soil girls as well.
I should check my plain water some time.
I like big healthy girls with lots of leaves, and feed like they are a high-school rugby team.:morenutes:
If you decide to start a journal tag me I'll follow along.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

The BioBizz rep on YouTube also recommends feeding every water but then in the same sentence recommends lowering the dosage... that obviously adds a bit of confusion. .
I don't know if he recommended that or just mentioned it as a possibility. I took a quick look at the Bio Bizz web site and did not see that mentioned but it was just a fast look at the schedule.

Whether a recommendation or a possibility you will have lowered the amount of nutrients per watering but you will still have to be adding nutrients each watering. By the end of each 7 day period you will have given a full weekly dose as mentioned in the schedule.

I don't know if he recommended that or just mentioned it as a possibility. I took a quick look at the Bio Bizz web site and did not see that mentioned but it was just a fast look at the schedule.

Whether a recommendation or a possibility you will have lowered the amount of nutrients per watering but you will still have to be adding nutrients each watering. By the end of each 7 day period you will have given a full weekly dose as mentioned in the schedule.

This is the vid

This is the vid
I had the feeling he is someone with a blog who likes and uses BioBizz and wears the shirt. If I understood what he said he did mention that if watering with a light dose the grower has to do it each watering so that the full dose ends up being applied by the end of each week.

Just to be sure I contacted BioBizz yesterday evening. They replied back that Patrick, the guy in the video you linked to, and the gentleman named Dan were with BioBizz in the past but both of them are no longer with the company. They are on their own or working with another company in the growing business.

The tone of the eMail that BioBizz sent me made it sound like everyone is on good standing with each other. It would not hurt to contact BioBizz and ask about doing a lighter dose every watering and if there are any problems they have noticed that you should watch out for.

Good work @SmokingWings :green_heart:

Personal I have found BioBizz to be pretty good at replying to emails as it was some time last year when I was asked about a question ?

The question was raised by a non member of this site who I'm associated with in R/L & follows the vegan life style as you can imagine the ethics involved with purist types will lead you down many rabbit holes to ponder over !

Whilst their nutrient line is vegan / vegetarian friendly :thumb:

How ever worm casts could be considered a GREY area as it is a product derived from passing through an insect/animal but once I explain about some organic methods they seemed reasonable OK with the matter & only saying it is really hard to be a pure vegan.

On a side note - some pure vegans have a dislike to plants grown with animal based fertilizers such as blood, fish & bone for there dietry needs or medical in this case :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom