Resonance77's First Journal, Hopefully Perpetual RDWC, Colab With BlackSheep138, My Son

Resonance77

420 Member
So the plan is to grow some mother plants in soil, take clones and cycle them through a RDWC setup to harvest. The details are being worked out as I go. I haven't grown in over 20 years and have never done a hydro grow. I figured I'd start a journal even though this grow is unorganized and bordering on chaos. Maybe if nothing else, it can be an example of what not to do if things don't go very well.

Right now, I have some seeds sprouted. They are regular seeds, so I'm going to have to sex them when they get bigger. I got them from a place called MSNL. I know nothing of this company. If anyone has any experience with them, I would love to hear about it. I ordered 2 strains, Northern Lights and White Widow. They sent me an additional 5 seeds of Sour Diesel for free. All regular photo seeds. I went with regular, because at the time, I hadn't researched feminized seeds and didn't know if they were comparable to regular seeds in terms of potency and vigor. That and regular seeds where much cheaper.

I soaked 3 of each in water overnight. The next day I put them in wet paper towel. After 24 hours they went into solo cups filled with Happy Frog soil. A day later, 7 of the 9 seeds sprouted. I had 2 White Widow, 2 Sour Diesel and 3 Northern Lights. The other Sour Diesel and White Widow never came up, so after another few days, I started another Sour Diesel and White Widow. Of those 2 only the Sour Diesel sprouted. So At this point , I have 3 Northern Lights, 2 White Widow and 2 Sour Diesel sprouts that are 13 days old today and 1 Sour Diesel that is 7 days old.

White Widow

Sour Diesel

Northern Lights

One of the Northern Lights is growing all messed up

About a week ago a friend gave me Purple Haze clone taken from a proven mother he was quite happy with. It was already rooted and doing well. So that one will probably be the plant I take the first set of clones off to start the DWC cycle. He says he will have a few more strains coming my way as he flowers them out to pick mothers from.

These are all in a tote sitting in my utility sink in my basement. I have a 400 hm fixture on a shelf about 30 inches above the plants.

I've done more research since the first seed order, so I decided to order a couple more strains, this time from Seedsman and this time feminized seeds. I ordered Royal Gorilla from Royal Queen and Green Crack from Cali Connection. They threw in a few of their own Bruce Banger and Jack Herrer seeds for free. I'm waiting for them to show up yet.

So, I guess right now, I'm just putting together a genetics library. I plan to keep a bunch of bonsai mothers in veg under a florescent fixture and pull clones to put into the hydro set up. I will have a dedicated veg area. It isn't set up yet, but I'm working on it. It will be a 12 x 8 room with a shelf on one of the narrow ends. I have 2 standard florescent shop light fixtures. They are 2'x4' and hold 4 bulbs each. I will keep the moms under the shelf with one of the fixtures and cuttings will go up on the shelf with the other fixture above. On the opposite side of the room will be a 6 site, 5 gallon bucket DIY RDWC. I have 2 400w MH fixtures for that end.

Here is the cloning tub I built a couple days ago

Once the plants are vegged, they will go next door to my son's house. He has a 12'x13' room that is our flowing area. Right now, we have 2 1000w hps lights and a few bag seed plants in 5 gallon soil buckets. We are planning on getting 3 600w lights and building a 3 site 27 gallon tote DIY RDWC to start. For the first round, we will have the rdwc on one side of the room with the 3 600w fixtures and run the 2 1000w fixtures on the opposite side with plants in soil. If all goes well, we will replace the 2 1000w fixtures with 3 600w bulbs and build another 3 site rdwc system on the opposite side of the room.

The grow areas are works in progress. I plan on updating this journal with pictures of things as I get them done. I have almost everything I need to start building everything. I just need to find time. I'm working on it a little here and there. I'll try to do weekly updates regardless. Thanks for checking it out!

Thanks Guys. Hey Old Salt, I just read through your journal. Nicely done! I really like those pots you made.

I'm just going to throw a few more things in here...

The flower room layout

Each tote will get its own 4x4 scrog net and 600 watt hps.

I went with 2 inch bulkheads to connect the tubs together

I'm going to plumb in a garden hose fitting so I can use the pump to drain the system quickly for res changes.

I'm thinking about using a 4 gallon bucket for the control reservoir. I don't see a point in having a large reservoir. I might be overlooking something though. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks. It looks like things are coming together for you.

When I started building my RDWC system I used bulkhead fittings (3/4") that I could thread a pipe into, from inside the plant containers. My plan was to use the pipe to set the water level in my pails. I made a return manifold out of a plastic octagon box with four 3/4" NPT to hose barb connectors. The return line to the reservoir was 1". RDWC became a no-go when I found my well couldn't support it. That's why I'm growing in coco.

It's nice to see what others have come up with.

I bought a set of Bluelabs pens. I got the pH and ppm meters together in a package deal with calibration solutions and storage solution. I'm pretty stoked to have accurate meters now.

I watered yesterday. I mixed up 1ml Cal Mag, 1ml Silica, 1ml GH Micro, 2 drops Superthrive and 3 drops pH down into a 1/2 gallon of distilled water. It came out to 6.5pH and 300ppm (500 scale). The plants took about a quart between them. All the plants are looking really good so far. They seemed to like the food. Before this watering, all I was giving them was distilled water with a couple drops of Superthrive. I'm watering to saturation and some run off. I'm waiting until they just start showing signs of dehydration before giving them a drink. It takes 3 or 4 days for the cups to dry out completely.

I'm working on a DIY chiller made from an old dehumidifier I picked up at a second hand store for $15. It says it has a 1hp compressor. I'm not sure if it is a 1 to 1 comparison between dehumidifier compressors and chiller compressors, but it would be really cool if it performs nearly as well as a 1hp chiller for $15. Initial tests brought 5 gallons of water from 95F to 53F in under 20 minutes! I just have to rewire the thing to run on a thermostat instead of the humidistat. I've already bypassed the humidistat so it runs constantly regardless of the relative humidity . I just have to hardwire an STC-1000 in on the hot leg going to the compressor and I should be able to set it to maintain a steady temp. I'll put up some pictures of the project once I have it done and it is working correctly.

I'm almost finished with the cloner.

I painted the lid black. I might touch it up and throw a clear coat or two of poly on it tomorrow.

I added a sight tube.

I bought a repeat cycle timer for it.

And I found a clear tote that fits so well it almost seems like it was made for it. It is 7" tall and almost snaps in place against the raised edges on the cloner lid.

I think I am ready for clones! Now if only the plants would just hurry up and grow....

I watered this morning with the remainder of the solution I mixed up last weekend. The plants were starting to limp, so I need to watch it more closely. I'm going to have to pick up the pace of the waterings. I have noticed some yellowing at the lowest leaves of some of the plants. You can clearly see it on the Northern Lights at the bottom in the group picture I'll upload below. They look really good except for the few with some yellow on the bottom. All the new growth looks great, so I am not too concerned, but it is clear something is going on.

I got some new toys. The new RO system came today. I'm trying to get co2 set up. Lots of cool things happening with the grow. I've been really busy with work the last couple of days. I'll get a full update with lots of pictures by this weekend. Until then, does anyone have any suggestions about the yellow leaves? Check out the single finger leaves on the Northern Lights on the bottom right.

I've found some plants just tend to lose the first node leaves, just like they do with the cotyledons. Maybe the plant recognizes they arent needed and cuts off the supply to divert it elsewhere?

So, last week I started to think about co2 for both spaces I'm working on. I own 2 20lb tanks and a regulator that I used for my kegerator. The regulator is not suited for horticultural purposes. I needed to add a solenoid valve to it. I found one on amazon for $10 that would work perfect. I also got a repeat cycle timer with a photosensor for $35 and the cheapest co2 meter I could find ($70).
Solenoid attached to beer keg regulator
regulator with built in solenoid

So for $115 I have a workable co2 rig for the flower room. I also bought a co2 controller and a regulator rig for the veg area. The second set up was less than $250. Now I can run co2 in both areas. I don't have either area set up yet, but I'm getting there slow but sure. One really cool thing I found with the $70 meter is the software on the manufacturers site. Check it out...
It tracks co2 concentration and temperature over time and keeps a log. This is awesome! I think we have an old laptop I can incorporate into the flower room to utilise this software.

Anyway, I got the co2 hooked up, but I needed a way to contain it. I put up plastic around my utility sink to try and keep the co2 where I want it.

I got some more work done at the flower site. We got the 10" net pots cut into the lids. We have almost everything dry fit.

I'm still going with the 4 gallon bucket for the control reservoir, unless anyone with experience says I should do it different.

I came up with an idea. I'm going to put elbows in the tubs. I've never seen this before, but I thought it would help move the water around the roots in the tub. I won't glue these in just in case I run into any unforeseeable issues, I can easily remove them .

I started working on the 5 gallon RDWC for the veg room. I was a little worried that the 1" bulkhead fittings weren't going to work, but it looks like they are going to seal. Tightening up the nut pulls the side of the bucket flat and smooshes the gasket up against the side wall. I think they will hold water.

Now for the plants. I don't know what was causing the chlorosis on the bottom leaves. I ended up removing the single finger leaves at the bottom. The Sour Diesels are a little yellow and had some necrosis on the three finger leaves on the second node. I cut the necro tips off of those. I think the problem was either waiting too long in between waterings to the point that the plants were wilting, or adding too much nitrogen too soon. Either way, the problem has been corrected and everything is looking really good. The new growth is nice and green. The leaves are thick and straight, pointing up towards the light most of the time. Over all, they appear to be in great shape.

On Friday, I transplanted all the solo cups into 6 inch squares. It should help with the watering schedule. They didn't miss a beat. They were all showing no sign of slowing down at all from the transplant. New growth was popping up the very next day.

On Sunday, I topped down to the third node. I'm hoping to get some side branching going so I can take some clones. I'm going to use the clones to determine sex of the parent plants. I plan to keep the plants grown from seed as mothers. I'm going to keep the mothers small. I'll top one more time to get 4 main branches and keep them trimmed down to those branches. Here is what they look like today.

Here are the White Widows #1&2

Here is Sour Diesel #1&2

Sour Diesel #3 and Northern Lights #1 (mutant)

And Northern Lights #2&3

Finally, we have the Purple Haze. I topped all the shoots and pulled the branches down and out. The growth in the middle has sprung up and is just rocking. There are lots of shoots sprouting all over this thing. I'm hoping to be able to take a bunch of clones from this one and get them into veg in preparation for going into the flower room. I'm hoping to get clones started in the next couple weeks.

Like I said in the beginning, things are not very organized, but I think this thing will pull together. I have to get the veg area built from scratch. Right now, there is a bunch of crap piled up that needs to be moved to a storage shed. Then I need to build walls and run electrical. After that, I need shelves, insulation, lights hung etc. It will be fun trying to get it done while racing plants that will have nowhere to go unless I get it built.

Hey, glad you stopped by, Turbo! I'm hoping more people will hop on board. I haven't grown in over 20 years and I wasn't great at it back then. I'm going to need all the help I can get. It seems that there is an awesome community on these boards. I just have to figure out how to get my foot in the door. I don't feel comfortable commenting on others journals yet. I am super green at this point. I'm just remembering things as I go and hoping for the best.

So I popped 3 Royal Gorilla fem seeds. They all came up. One is doing really well, one is doing just fine and the last one is small and weird looking. It's leaves are marbled and wrinkly. I took a picture, but I wasn't able to capture the extent of it. It looks worse in real life.
marbled gorilla.jpg

Anyone ever seen this before? It is half the size of the normal ones. I'm thinking it is not going to yield very much.

Back
Top Bottom