RiffnChar's Aurora Indica/AK-48 Grow Log 2009/2010

RiffnChar

After a kind invite and some guidance from a 420 staffer, I have decided to start this log on our current grow. I will try and provide as much detail as possible and pics galore also. Let's start with the basics:

Strain Aurora Indica and AK-48 both from Nirvana. Both strains from feminized seeds. A quick word about Nirvana. IMHO these folks are numma one. I have never had a problem with them. The seeds always germinate. The prices are reasonable($44.00 USD) for 5 seeds that will be female and yield several oz of quality product. You do the math.....

Both are predominantly Indica strains. I go with this because they are very adaptable to the indoor growing environment, they are great for LST'ing or FIMming and they remain short but yield good which is perfect since I am space limited in my box.

These plants were started germinating on November 18, all had cracked by 11/20 and were planted that day. All six(3 of each strain) were popped above ground by 11/23 which is day 1 of veg stage. They completed week 1 of veg yesterday, 11/30. I intend to veg for 4 weeks, top all 6, let 'em veg for 1 more week then into 12/12 for flowering.

This is a soil grow. I have used Fox Farms Ocean Forest potting mix for all my grows and I stand behind the product 100%. Never had a problem with it. Why soil? Because when my Grandpa was teaching me how to garden when I was a kid that's what he knew and that's what I know.

Pots: Standard 1 gal pots from the local hydro store.

Lighting: I am a CFL guy. I know the pro's and con's of HPS and MH but I think those lend themselves to more commercial type grow ops. We are just growing for ourselves. Also the add requirements of heat removal and limited box size made CFL's a natural choice. For vegging I use 4 26W 6500K and for flowering I use 4 26W 2700K. With the use of "Y" socket splitters I can have up to 8 lights of any combination W/K that I need or want.

Temp/RH Room temps are between 78-82 deg F and 37-40% RH during the day. Night between 65-67 deg F.

Nutrients: For veg I use Schultz's liquid plant food 10-15-10 at full strength. For flowering I use Supernatural BloomTerra 10-35-8 at 1/3 strength.

Watering: I water when needed. I always wait till the top inch of soil is very dry and the containers are light. I water on avg every 4 to 5 days.

Some of my "Rules of thumb".

1. Watch your plants! They will let you know when something is wrong. If you introduce something new in their environment and u check 'em 12 hours later and they r in distress, it doesn't take rocket science to figger out ya hosed up. This is especially true of nutes and ferts. Start new/unknown at 1/4 strength and build up to higher potencies.

2. Blend in/Be a good neighbor. We live and grow in a rental 3 bdr townhome. None of our neighbors would ever think we r growers/heads. We don't fit the profile. To them we r grandma and grandpa just trying like everybody else to get along in this world. Be invisible, don't make trouble, keep ur shit together and quiet.

3. Enjoy your hobby! The first bong hit I took off of our first Aurora grow, I was hooked! All the time and expense an worry and learning were worth it. As Colonel Saito said in "Bridge on the River Kwai" "Be happy in your work"!

Well I thin I have spouted off enough for now. I need to go take some pics of the op and get 'em posted. Please if you have any comments, criticisms or questions please don't hesitate to ask. Till next time.......RiffnChar :roorrip:

Our box 420 Magazine

The lighting setup
Pics10_04_09_003 - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Upload your photos making sure they are under 1mg.
Go to the picture in your gallery right click on it.
Click properties and then highlight the image link and right click on it when selected and click copy.
Go to your post and click the little yellow icon above which is the insert image icon. click it. remove the https: from the box and right click on the empty text box and select paste. wala pic added to your grow journal.
Now get to work I wanna see some pics dude.
I am using schutlz also interesting to find another using this.

Oh man i cant wait to see another ak-48 grow..... I am doing one as well if u want to check out my grow... I got 4 ak plants and they are on day 10 of flowering.... and i got pics...

-------------------------------
Ak-48 grow... CHECK IT OUT..... Click on the link below
Rocafellarush's First Grow Nirvana Ak-48 Fem 2009

Closer view of inside the box:

Pics10_04_09_008.jpg

Inside our box:

Pics10_04_09_0061.jpg

DIY carbon filter

Pics10_04_09_003.jpg

Exterior of our grow box

Pics10_04_09_002.jpg

Closer view of inside the box:

Pics10_04_09_008.jpg

Inside our box:

Pics10_04_09_0061.jpg

Hey man nice set up... I like it.. If u want you should use some y sockets in all the light sockets so u can put a lil more light on the babys... Just a idea for when they get bigger... I know the ak loves the CFL's
:goodjob:

Hey man nice set up... I like it.. If u want you should use some y sockets in all the light sockets so u can put a lil more light on the babys... Just a idea for when they get bigger... I know the ak loves the CFL's
:goodjob:

I hear ya. I have some "Y" splitters so I can get up to 8 lights in there when I need to.

I hear ya. I have some "Y" splitters so I can get up to 8 lights in there when I need to.

nice nice... I did the same... once i added more lights the plants just went out of control.... They loved it....

Im so along for this... cant wait to see ur babys get mature lil girls
:yummy:

Here are some more pics ya might like. This is the end result of our last grow. Some real "bonsai babies"! Ended up with 2 oz dried from the 3 plants.....

Pics10_04_09_0031.jpg

Kitty wants some geef!

Pics10_04_09_0021.jpg

Pics10_04_09_0011.jpg

nice nice... I did the same... once i added more lights the plants just went out of control.... They loved it....

Im so along for this... cant wait to see ur babys get mature lil girls
:yummy:

I would add more lights now but with all 8 burning the temps in the box get near 100 deg F!

you could also put a bigger fan for the temp... I had to put 4 big computer fans in my room for temp gettin to high.... i should of invested in something better then computer fans but they are working just great now...

--------------------------
Ak-48 grow / On 12/12 / day 11 of flowering
Rocafellarush's First Grow Nirvana Ak-48 Fem 2009

LOL... No these are pics of our last Aurora Indica grow. Heavy pruning to keep em small and compact. Is there a "bonsai" strain?

lol I dont know.... thats why i was asking... But nice.... did u start those off at 12/12 from day one

End of week 2 vegging.
Well it is now 2 weeks since our girls poked their heads above the ground. They are looking good and healthy. Some observations:

1. Temps: Daytime temps in the box have stabilized to between 75-78 deg F and night time between 68-70 deg F. RH is right around 30%. I know this is low but the girls don't seem to mind.

2. Watering: Watering has stabilized out to 1 pint per plant every 4-5 days. Fortunately my tap water is at 6.5 Ph right out of the tap so all I have to do is let some sit for 24 hours to get rid of chlorine and I am good to go.

3. Feeding/Nutes: None yet. Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil has enough nutes in it right out of the bag to support healthy growth for the first 3 weeks. So no need to add nutes at this time. I WILL begin feeding next Monday with Schultz liquid plant food (10-15-10) at 1/2 strength and increasing strength to full over the rest of their veg period.

4. Pests: No signs of any pests or other plant related problems. I guess it's one of the few advantages of living in the great white north in winter. No bugs!

5. Future goals/plans: I plan on letting the girls veg for 4-6 weeks depending on growth rate, plant health and size, and room in the box. I will top each plant at week 4. I am also planning on trying to clone again but I have had very poor luck at it so far. I have read(and now believe) that these strains, especially the Aurora, are hard to clone because they are so specialized/hybridized. We shall see....

Thanks for all the nice comments on our project so far. New pics later today after I wake up and get motivated.....:roorrip:

Heres the pics:

1. All 3 AK-48 sprouts

Pics11_07_09_005.jpg

2. All 3 Aurora Indica sprouts

Pics11_07_09_001.jpg

3. AK-48 #2 Probably the strongest of the AK's

Pics11_07_09_010.jpg

4. Aurora #2 Strongest of the Aurora's

Pics11_07_09_003.jpg

Hey Riff' I gotta know since I too am intrigued by the potent promises that Nirvana says about the Aurora (growing myself right now, 1 week behind yours), how is the smoke? Is it a full-body couch-lock?

Hey Riff' I gotta know since I too am intrigued by the potent promises that Nirvana says about the Aurora (growing myself right now, 1 week behind yours), how is the smoke? Is it a full-body couch-lock?

Yes it is!!! Our last batch was very tasty, we slept well and we ate well! Oh one thing...I don't know if it will be the same for you but for us this weed didn't give us the munchies per se but once we started eating something it was the best tasting something we ever had!

Here are some pics of two Aurora main cola's from out last grow. So you know what you have to look forward to.....Enjoy!!

Pics11_07_09_016.jpg

Pics11_07_09_015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom