Rooting in Rock Wool

Herby Green

A brief note on results I've experienced cloning in rockwool.
Following standard practices,rooting can be good but planting the clone in soil within the 1" cube has poor results for me.
In short effe cts are poor uptake in water and nutrients due to low Oxygen,possible too moist causing plant drying out.
Removal of the wool suggested then plant.

CLONING IN ROCK WOOL roots ok, but fails after planted due to reduced OXYGEN ,therefore reduced water and nutrient uptake.

Research on this phenonmena shows data.
No link to post,since links are not allowed as far as I know.
Google it.

What up Herby Green? Rapid rooters are the way to go, rock wool is ok if the plant will be in hydro but cloning into rock wool for plants that will be soil grown seems a convoluted route to get there. Not a fan of peat pucks or peat pellets either, I’ve had seedlings whose roots never penetrated the membrane. But we all have different experiences

you can post outside links as reference but they don’t want us linking to other cannabis sites, I will be happy to be corrected if I’m stating this wrong....

Good to know 013,
We have brown tapered sponge plugs,not sure if they are Rapid Rooters or not.Checked the box and it was an AeroGarden kit.
As mentioned in the article the oxy uptake was greatly reduced in SW probably due to space restrictions within the weaved glass threads.
The aero-garden plugs worked ok for beans and stuff,but an early test on cannabis clones was a complete failure due to tray water levels,plug actually in water,which is a nono,and other crital factors like humidity and temp.
I have had a large dome with heatpad and 25 w grow light for a while now,which works,but was really suprised how the Stonewool failed after rooting,so so much for that.

I should verify more detail,since other users will defy my findings.
The clones rooted well in the stone rock wool,but it was after the fact that on planting the whole 1" cube in soil with a good ratio of Perlite the roots darkened in color, and foliage browned and died off in almost every case of 30 units.
Now if the cube was shredded apart as was suggested by another user,discarding the wasted cube soon enough,a better chance of uptake was increased 10 fold.
So I am going to use up whats left of the cubes, and at first sign of root ,remove most of the wool and plant.

Back
Top Bottom