RootRot or Nutrient Stains?

Idk man, I've never used fox farm nutes like that. I did do some reading and while fox farms says it can be used in hydro or they have hydro specific versions most people using it in hydro say they didnt have great results. I think the organics in big bloom may be your issue but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone with more time in dwc comes through soon
Yea my buddy swears by fox farm for years but he does soil only. Didnt cross my mind originally that
nutes would be made specifically for hydro.

I should have taken a picture the last 2 days but i didnt.

It hasnt quite been 6 days since changing res, using hydroguard. 2 days ago some dark stuff started building up on roots.
I thought it was bennifical bacteria because even where the dark buildup was, there were lots of fresh little roots poking out.
But now its starting to spread everywhere and getting slimy.

This isnt bennifical bacteria is it???

Attachments

• 555.jpg
    555.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 666.jpg
    666.jpg
    970.6 KB · Views: 34
You keep asking the same things my friend

You are using unorthodox combo of nutes so it's hard to determine what is going on exactly

But no, they are not beneficial bacteria

You are using unorthodox combo of nutes so it's hard to determine what is going on exactly

Lol, youre not wrong. I just wanted confirmation i should have removed it.
I go into panic mode easily. The confusing part is that it doesnt seem to be
unhealthy up top. (from my novice point of view that is)

Should i just be commenting this on the old thread/s?
I dont know the etiquette i dont even do social medias :/

This seems to be a recurring issue that ive just never fully taken care of is my guess sadly.
But it does go away for the first few days of fresh res and hasnt gotten bad until days 5/6.
Its a lot of water, but i could do fresh res' on day 4 when theyve still looked good...

If i were to battle this all the way to harvest how badly would it effect yield?

Unfortunately I lost most of my dwc plants to slime and went back to coco. I was able to repot two girls with a root prune and tlc and get them to accept coco after dwc and went on to have a healthy harvest.
The key is to maintain a sterile environment and with cleaning supplies running short that could be bad.
Your water temps aren't terrible although some would say they need to be in the 50s or 60s.
Is this your only dwc bucket?
As for the chiller, they can be pricey. I was considering building one out of a used mini fridge with a bucket of cold water inside with copper tubing coiled up in the bowl, drill two pass thru holes and running warm water line from the res in one hole, through the chilled copper tubing and out the other hole back to the reservoir.
Anyways, whatever strain of funk i had enjoyed peroxide instead of being killed by it.
Best of luck!

I run my temps high due to my location, never an issue

Ambient temperature is 74-79 all year

I run hydroguard and z7 with the GH Flora Trio Nutes, love it

Sterilization is your most likely issue. Just rinsing and scrubbing your rezzy won't keep it from coming back.

A diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide (what I use) or diluted bleach solution sprayed in your scrubbed and rinsed bucket is what's needed. Don't forget to wipe down your airlines and boil your airstones. You can use the hydrogen peroxide solution to clean your slimy roots as well.

74 degrees Rez temps isn't ideal nor is it terrible. I wouldn't hook a chiller up quite yet.
Try insulating your buckets first. Check your air pump, is it hot? Hot pump blows hot air. Is your bucket netpot black (I bet it is)? Cover it with reflective aluminum tape. These are easy things to drop your temps a few degrees.

Best of luck!

Unfortunately I lost most of my dwc plants to slime and went back to coco. I was able to repot two girls with a root prune and tlc and get them to accept coco after dwc and went on to have a healthy harvest.
The key is to maintain a sterile environment and with cleaning supplies running short that could be bad.
Your water temps aren't terrible although some would say they need to be in the 50s or 60s.
Is this your only dwc bucket?
As for the chiller, they can be pricey. I was considering building one out of a used mini fridge with a bucket of cold water inside with copper tubing coiled up in the bowl, drill two pass thru holes and running warm water line from the res in one hole, through the chilled copper tubing and out the other hole back to the reservoir.
Anyways, whatever strain of funk i had enjoyed peroxide instead of being killed by it.
Best of luck!
I have 4 buckets and only need 1 at a time currently, so ive always got a sterile one ready when changing res.
I clean it right before the res switich even though its been cleaned, cuz it sat for a bit who knows.
I use weak watered down peroxide to soak them, while spraying them with RO water.
First i spray as much off as i can just laying them on the side of a red solo and hitting em w spray bottle.
Then maybe 5-10 minutes soak, however long it takes to swap out the res. I do it kinda slowly in stages
trying to keep light out of the res.

Sterilization is your most likely issue. Just rinsing and scrubbing your rezzy won't keep it from coming back.

A diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide (what I use) or diluted bleach solution sprayed in your scrubbed and rinsed bucket is what's needed. Don't forget to wipe down your airlines and boil your airstones. You can use the hydrogen peroxide solution to clean your slimy roots as well.

74 degrees Rez temps isn't ideal nor is it terrible. I wouldn't hook a chiller up quite yet.
Try insulating your buckets first. Check your air pump, is it hot? Hot pump blows hot air. Is your bucket netpot black (I bet it is)? Cover it with reflective aluminum tape. These are easy things to drop your temps a few degrees.

Best of luck!
Im trying to be more gentle to airstones, broke one from soaking it a day in peroxide solution.
How many boils can they survive before needing a new one?

I'll say this again, and move on

1st your nutes are nowhere near enough to properly grow your plants
natures nectar nitrogen is 5-0-0
Big Bloom alone is 0-.5-.7

2nd using z7 should help a lot with the goopies, if u do actually have them
Big bloom is very dark and may actually be staining your roots

Your entire environment is key to a successful grow from top to bottom

Good luck

I'll say this again, and move on

1st your nutes are nowhere near enough to properly grow your plants
natures nectar nitrogen is 5-0-0
Big Bloom alone is 0-.5-.7

2nd using z7 should help a lot with the goopies, if u do actually have them
Big bloom is very dark and may actually be staining your roots

Your entire environment is key to a successful grow from top to bottom

Good luck
how much per gallon would you suggest? Im going to look into the z7 today.
Was expecting to owe more taxes and instead rolled some over so I
have a little extra coin.

You said i wasnt giving it enough nutrients, I was hoping i could just increase
the dosages of what im giving it. Now im thinking you mean i need an additional product?

I ordered the 2 part z7 but i couldnt find anything talking about using it with hydroguard.

Back
Top Bottom