Roots Organics VS Fox Farm soil

Do you prefer Roots Organics of Fox Farm?

• Roots Organics Natural & Organic

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • Fox Farm Ocean Forest

Votes: 28 50.0%

• Total voters
Roots because the batches are more consistent and generally use better quality ingredient and my hydro store gets it extremely fresh.

with some perlite, and EWC this shit is gold.

i like the PK version, the greenfields is high N

Roots fo sho.. i have used Royal Gold, Bio-Bizz all-mix, Ocean Forest by FF, and Roots has been the best, the hottest soil with out overkill...moisture is great...easy to flush and use teas with.

I didn't vote in your poll.

I have used roots, FFOF, FFHF side by side and there was no advantage to any of them. They all grew healthy happy plants.

The FFOF was a little better at keeping noobs greener but that's not an advantage if you know ahead of time the noobs need nutes at a certain rate.

Roots is lighter and dries out faster, has less chance of pests being in it if at all.

I think performance wise there is no advantage.

I'm using Happy Frog right now and seems to be working very nice. I originally was going to go with Roots Organic but the guy at hydro store where I went recommended using Happy Frog over roots. So I went with HF but now want to try the Roots for myself to see which one I prefer. I am looking to go TLO style. Which I think is a fairly new and I have started doing lots of research on this.

Subcool uses roots organic in his super soil and also as a base soil for plants that cant take the heat like for his Cheese plants he uses only roots organic mixed with another soil that comes in a white bag I forget the name.

I think its all preference but if a master grower and breeder like subcool uses it I'm sure its top notch. FYI the super soil is set up so there is no need for nutes, water only, until mid to late flowering when nutes can be added depends on plant size to ensure it finishes strong. I will be doing the super soil for my next grow cycle and will post in the grow journal section.

Till then I will stick with Fox Farm Happy Frog because it already has a lot of the good stuff already in it like earth worm castings, bat guano, humic acid, Mycorrhizae, and dolmite lime for PH. Not saying you cant grow great stuff with just plain roots organic but I like to jazz it up a bit and have no place to mix soil right now. That's my 2 cents and constantly reading and researching. hope this helps :goodluck:

I have a buddy that uses Roots with fantastic results. I tried Ocean Forest but like said above, it was a little 'hot' for my plant.

I personally like using Happy Frog. My reasoning is to control feeding a little better. Takes the guess work out of when to start feeding N...just my opinion though.

I have a buddy that uses Roots with fantastic results. I tried Ocean Forest but like said above, it was a little 'hot' for my plant.

I personally like using Happy Frog. My reasoning is to control feeding a little better. Takes the guess work out of when to start feeding N...just my opinion though.

When do you start your nutes feeding schedule with Happy Frog?

When do you start your nutes feeding schedule with Happy Frog?

I start as soon as the plant needs it...or I should say when I think it needs it, after planting or germinating. Usually within the first week or two.

With seeds I feed 1/4 strength or around 250 ppm after 2 or 3 good nodes have grown and the leaves are getting larger, then watch carefully for any sign of burn.

Clones, usually after I see strong new growth starting to appear. Unless the clone grower has already been giving a couple hundred ppm.

That's with Nitrogen. I feed a compost tea, lightly, from the start.

Happy Frog is great for root development and PH balancing. I've recorded over an inch of day in growth with Happy Frog, Smart Pots, and GH nutes. Not bad for soil.

I have heard some growers use Ocean forest in the bottom 50% of the pot and Happy Frog for the top layer. The same can be done with the Roots products as well.

Hey Thanks yarddog! I've been using general organics bio root with my clones and seedling from day 1 at double strength by accident and when I realized that I was using only a half gallon and not a full gallon i figured its working well so I continued the double strength Bio Root only with seedlings and 2x Bio Root and 1/2 recommended dose of FFGB for the clones. I will wait a week or so I think to start the seedlings on FFGB. So far I really like the General Organics line of products and from what I understand they just hit the market a few months ago. They are all vegan base and auto balance PH to 6.5. Clone Roots are at the bottom of 1 gallon pot after 12 days growth. I will be switching to roots organic for my next grow for now will stick to Happy Frog. contrary to my prior post.:tokin:

Just transplanted my L.A. Confidential yesterday. Decided to go with Roots. Like I mentioned above, my buddy was having great results. I checked out his plants a few days ago, they're 7 days out and look amazing! So green and lush with no deficiencies.

I went from a 2 gallon Smart Pot filled with Happy Frog, to a 7 gallon. Hoping for good results.

i have been using roots, and i have used Royal gold, Bio-Bizz, FFOF and FFHF, and again hands down Roots wins. Roots has soooooo many diff ingredients that keeps my plants lush and beautiful. The big difference I see is Roots is super easy to maintain with a simple tea 1x a week. I go from 2gal to 10gal day of bloom. This way I don't have to worry about nutes till wk3or4 depending on growth and plant genetics. I mix in 1/2-1c/bag lime for PH and let it compost for 4-7days. Wk3 i mix a half strength tea up and go on my way.

I also see a noticeable difference in my tich development, the bud development is at least a 3-5 days sooner, the guano's also contribute to a better taste and smell naturally! ROOTS all the way!

What is everyone payin per bag?:joint:

i have been using roots, and i have used Royal gold, Bio-Bizz, FFOF and FFHF, and again hands down Roots wins. Roots has soooooo many diff ingredients that keeps my plants lush and beautiful. The big difference I see is Roots is super easy to maintain with a simple tea 1x a week. I go from 2gal to 10gal day of bloom. This way I don't have to worry about nutes till wk3or4 depending on growth and plant genetics. I mix in 1/2-1c/bag lime for PH and let it compost for 4-7days. Wk3 i mix a half strength tea up and go on my way.

I also see a noticeable difference in my tich development, the bud development is at least a 3-5 days sooner, the guano's also contribute to a better taste and smell naturally! ROOTS all the way!

What is everyone payin per bag?:joint:

I soooooo can not wait to switch to ROOTS! the big bag of Roots Organics from the hydro store here is $22.95 not sure if this is considered high price or not in comparison to other brands but doesn't seem to unreasonable. However it could be less cause its retail is 15.95 to 23.95 for a 1.5cu ft bag. :tokin:

I found FFOF in a GREAT hydro store in SANTA BARBARA-$15.00 out the door.My first grow-keep ALL of our GREEN fingers crossed-2 out of my 3 lady's have the top leafs curling downward-Transplanted them almost 2 weeks ago. I think they were root bound-had them in a 4" pot-the girls were almost 10" tall before I could get them into the "GREEN ROOM"-just finished building it 2 weeks ago-Temps have been high80-low69,
Humidity has been a problem I thinklow30-high42. I have a 400cfm fan in a 4x4 room-with DIRTINMYEARS GREAT 12 pak cfl light-a 16" fan running 24/7 and the girls are at 18/6. Don't know when I should cut back lighting to start flowering-thought I would wait till I got some EXPERT advise from this GREAT fourm.PLEASE HELP SAVE THE PURPLE URKEL. Thannk you in advance!!! "One Man Gathers What Another Man Spills"

I got 7 bags of roots organic soil from Sprout Garden Supply in San Mateo CA for around $12/each. (the 1.5 cf bag, not the small one) This shop is fairly new and the guys running it are awesome. Aren't these 2 soils completely different? My girlfriend uses the FF Ocean Forest mix for her potted house plants which is fine. But I prefer to have a little more control over my mix so I just spend a little more and do everything myself using the roots organic soil as a good base.

Back
Top Bottom