Running out of height in my room

snowwolf57

Hello all, need some advice! This is my first grow in 25 years, my kids are grown and now I have my MMJ. I have spent the last two months going over these grow journals and have gained a lot of new tech advice, way cool stuff, great website. My question is I got crazy and started to many plants from seed 16 thinking that I would have at least 30% males and then I would thin it down. Well they all turned out to be females from two kinds of good badweed. I topped at 1foot half of them and the other half not, but have kept them level under Hood by raising the not topped ones that have grown shorter. Here is the problem I'm into my 3rd week of flowering and I'm in a 10'x12' x 8foot high bedroom 1k HPS with 4' Parabolic Hood. Half of the ones I topped are now 5' tall I have run out of height and I'm really really crowed with the outside parameter of plants sticking out from the Hood about six inches all the way round total 16 plants and some inside running up the inside of the hood and I can't raise the hood anymore. The plants look great but have a management problem, lol, way to many plants I just didn't have the heart to kill the extras, everything is flowering and looking great but outside is not flowering as good as those completely under the hood, which is expected, but outside parameter are still coming along okay. WHAT to DO? with the no height left problem anybody.:cool: thanks ahead of time. This has been an exciting grow they are jumping out of the buckets because I have kept the light within 25 inches in Veg and 10 inches at all times after first week of flowering.

you can take the tops and tie them over (take it easy and dont snap the branches) then just lower your light however much you tied them over.

You can also bring some cfl's into the mix for the plants on the outer edge...
Train those ladies, put them through an advanced yoga class, bend em,tye them, or supercrop them.... Just take your time and try to stress them as little as possible.:roorrip:

Thanks for the come backs from Lighter and Be Irie. This stupidity has caused me great anxiety, and I knew better, is that OCD? lol I think I'll have a bowl now,ooh yippy ki ya, get along little doggies.

I just rolled out of bed. I'm on the same night shift as my Ladies. Although I like my Humanoid Ladies tall and thin, not my Medicinal Ladies though. The Command Decision after pulling them all out from under the hood and having a real close "look see" is to "stand down" and sacrifice some of them to the Pot God and try and save the rest with some more TLC, and some support sticks, tie down stuff and more lights. The ones that go to the Pot God, a question here now? Are the flower parts @ this stage worth trying to dry and smoke? If it's like smoking water leaves (dog crap) forget it. I have been using FF nutrients on all of them. I'm way past smoking crap, I'm spoiled as hell.

I wish I had the extra bucks to buy "right now", four 250k's and put them on stands and wheels and put them around the outside edges facing inward. I think I will buy at least two for the next grow after this "momentary madness" finishes and build some stands on rollers.

I plan on putting the best looking eight back under the hood with some space now and try and struggle through with another four with CFL's. on the outer parameters. Four will be terminated and given to the Pot God. This was my "shake down cruise" sort of, to clean the cob webs out of my brain. From now on I'm sticking with simple and sweet six. for a 1k light, and just put the extra lums to those six heavily like a cowboy with spurs. lol I plan on getting three more OMMP and just giving it away at cost, or bro bono, if they are terminally ill. I have the room for three more grow rooms.

Lighter I will read your link on CFL's here in a while. Be Irie I will try to tie down the two best five footers tomorrow under the hood. I kind of ran out of 5 gal. buckets, and of course my very very best Lady is short busy and really really lovely, is in a 3 Gal. and needs more bucket, she is about three and a half feet tall. Do you think I can safety at this point transfer her still to a 5 gal. she is already heavy weight on the limbs and needs support badly like the rest?

Snowwolf57 My Man!!! Dude, I got you, seeing as you put your heart and soul into this garden and you are losing sleep (never mind yield) with this problem I will offer my pearl of wisdom or two cents:
Break down and commit, turn the garden into a full blown operation that can become perpetual. Buy another 1000wt light and start thinking about light movers or there is a system that if you have rated ceiling fan boxes that houses 2-6 bulbs spinning them like a ceiling fan keeping cool while plants will never grow to touch lamps. Think sunpulse bulbs and always mix MH and HPS or in todays lingo "wavelengths and frequencies of light"
If we can ever be of any assitance do not hesitate just ask. :nicethread:

Thanks for the come backs, Wingman580, and Greenthumb422. I had planned on doing a big A/C thing for the future to deal with the heat, in the bedrooms and as intake,and I can vent outtake to the attic easily for two bedrooms, as I build up the operation. I will go with cooled lights also in the house, big bucks.and lots of building and racks to hold all of the new stuff. I can use this Uncooled 4' Parabolic in the garage just for Veg. as I need some continuous heat out there anyway because my Washer out there froze up and broke this winter, and had to buy another. This crop is finished mid May, I'll going to just do six outside for the summer and do my building and get ready for Fall grow indoors again. By then I should have my other three patients on the books. lol I'm way into this like the others here. It's a really great hobby, lol thanks men. It certainly beats the hell out of guerrilla farming like when I was young and stupid.lol

I tinker and make a lot of changes with my spelling grammar and content, I hope it doesn't send something out email every time I change something, or you all will think I'm OCD and insane for sure. lol

Well Be Irie, they are getting Yoga lessens tonight. Tomorrow I will head into town,(I live in the sticks) and get the bondage material and stake and tie them down. I was thinking of getting those clip on CFL's and just clip them to the outside of the hood. I haven't had time to read Ligther's link on CFL's but will go there now.

I just barely thinned it all down, rearranged them back under the hood, dropped the hood back down and pushed all the tall ones back under the hood, (hood is cool to the touch) and they appear to be shaping themselves nicely to the inside of the hood. The wild ones I had to give some Yoga Lessens to keep them away from the light, and every once and a while I go check and move any that have decided to stroll. I have now another five inches of height to play with on the light. It's only thirty minutes until the light goes out, so they will be okay until I get back from town tomorrow, and tie them down away from the hood.

I nuked up some of the flower tops from the sacrifice, it was do do, I never get headaches, well I have a really good one right now from doing that/ don't even waste you time, before it's time.

well kudos to everyone who helps so much around here and good night.

There is a better link out there bro that one just goes to my grow journal, let me find it for you real quick.

CFL Light Tutorial

Until U figure out what to do about the crowded conditions. Try rotating the pots on the outer edge of the light's footprint 1/4 turn per day so that u can get some type of uniform light exposure and bud development. My 2 cents. Next time dont wait so long to flower. Cannabis can double and/or triple in height during bloom.

Thanks for the come back BWC BayArea, I used to be in the CDF in Belmont a couple of life times ago, and lived in Santa Cruz , I'm a native CA, there are not many of us left. I moved out many many years ago.

I thought I had done it right I Veg. for 4wks switched Bulbs then 3days later went to 12/12. I have been moving the outside stuff around a lot though. Today I got four of the monster CFL's that have their own ballast and things are looking pretty good now, but I think I will add two more within a week, I don't go into town much :cool: and as we speak I'm working on roping them down.

snowwolf57, i highly recommend mixing up the spectrums of CFL's that you are using if you are not already doing so. i use 4 2700k and then 2 5500k daylight CFLs.

BWC, As I have mentioned before I haven't done it is many years and the lights and everything are all different. I was thinking three weeks, but even at two on the Veg. with MH they were getting along pretty well.

Lighter, I have just put up yesterday four of the 2700k's so the next two or four will be like you mentioned 5500k's

I got home last night after the light had already been on, or shit, I burnt one bud tip, so today I have really put up some rope on them. lol

My heck the room is starting to look like an Alien Space Craft landing in a forest during high winds. (smiling)

Well men I'm going to put it back on cruise control and finish this trip off. Thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom