Rust leading to yellowing

I keep calling it that because that's how it says on the bottle (add a maximum of 5 ml/l, every watering). The same goes for all the Plagron nutrients I have, including the CalMag (different amount but same instructions).
Whether the plants is 4 weeks old or 10 weeks old, it's always the same amount.

Lets say I have burned tips because of nute burn, while giving only half the maximum. Wouldn't that mean that even half the maximum is too much?

I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong. Maybe I'm just hardwired because of always reading the same things over and over again.

I'm just going to copy some text from the internet, which is in line with everything I have ever read about nutrients:

Quote: "Many nutrient systems come with instructions to feed your plant more nutrients than most plants actually need. It’s good business for the nutrient companies if you use more nutrients. However, in my experience it’s a good idea to view the feeding charts that come with any nutrient system as the maximum amount of nutrients and actually start with much lower levels. I tend to start with half the recommended amount, and slowly work my way up only if needed."

You can hardly blame me for doing exactly what I see other successful growers do?
This helps... you are reading the every watering thing off of the bottle and its no wonder why you are confused. It is common practice to put instructions for outside plants on the sides of the bottle, and for advanced growers to get indoor instructions from a published feeding chart.

Burned tips are not always a burn. Sometimes it indicates a deficiency, and definitely in your case. Potassium is stored in the leaf tips and the edges. A deficiency robs it from those storehouses, making many new growers think they are burning their plants because of all the "tip burn" comments found on the internet.

Maybe you are hardwired to believe everything you read, but not real time advice from a well followed, obviously experienced, and very successful grower. You do know that I am one of those successful growers you reference, right? Have you seen my journals? Many people attempt to emulate me rather than argue with me, just based on the success of my gardens. I do not give out the popular and common advice and am sort of a rogue. Being so, I am also one who innovates and advances the science because I do so.

But, if you would rather believe the person you quoted, please feel free to do so. And as you say, many out there are saying the same thing, so feel free to follow the popular advice and believe it all to be true. You are not alone in the paranoia that the nute companies are out to get you by advising you to use too much of their product. When you get tired of the same results time and time again, please feel free to call on me again... I will still be here. For now, it seems your mind is made up and I have no desire to argue with you, I was simply trying to help. Good luck with your grow.

I didn't say my mind is made up, I'm just trying to explain why I what I did and understand why I should do something without blindly following a number on a bottle. 2 days before the flush I gave a full dose of nutrients and the problem seemed to be accelerating, so I wanted to be careful.

I did not have the time yet to read every journal. I know you are a successful grower and you have been growing for quite some time. I already read one of your journals. However, you use organic and give all sorts of concoctions I know nothing about. It's hard for me to compare this to these bottled nutrients I'm using.
I was just referring to a journal I followed prior to coming here. Someone using the exact same nutrients I'm using and giving daily updates. Plants where in good conditions from start to finish, harvested over 800 grams dry and good looking weed from his square meter, with 400W I believe it was, without giving the maximum amount of nutrients even once.

You've also said, at the start of this thread, I should not feed every watering. Which is not what my feeding chart says. So, naturally I'm still not sure what exactly I should do. Is it strange to think not every plant needs the exact same amount mentioned on the bottle? It states no difference between indoor and outdoor, the chart shows the same number mentioned on the bottle.

I didn't say my mind is made up, I'm just trying to explain why I what I did and understand why I should do something without blindly following a number on a bottle. 2 days before the flush I gave a full dose of nutrients and the problem seemed to be accelerating, so I wanted to be careful.

I did not have the time yet to read every journal. I know you are a successful grower and you have been growing for quite some time. I already read one of your journals. However, you use organic and give all sorts of concoctions I know nothing about. It's hard for me to compare this to these bottled nutrients I'm using.
I was just referring to a journal I followed prior to coming here. Someone using the exact same nutrients I'm using and giving daily updates. Plants where in good conditions from start to finish, harvested over 800 grams dry and good looking weed from his square meter, with 400W I believe it was, without giving the maximum amount of nutrients even once.

You've also said, at the start of this thread, I should not feed every watering. Which is not what my feeding chart says. So, naturally I'm still not sure what exactly I should do. Is it strange to think not every plant needs the exact same amount mentioned on the bottle? It states no difference between indoor and outdoor, the chart shows the same number mentioned on the bottle.
Then please, just consider me a crackpot and follow the guy using your exact nutes and do everything to the letter exactly what he does. I obviously do not understand your grow system, but he does. Good luck.

@Emilya I see that every time I mention other people, you react dismissive and somewhat condescending. Those other people are just, to use your words, 'the typical online guru'.

I have great respect for people who have grown this plant successfully for a long time and then spend their free time trying to help others people in the community learn the way.
Sure, there's wrong information on the internet. That doesn't mean that other people like you, who have shown they are capable growers, are wrong by default just because they do certain things a little different.

I used this method because it worked for me in the past. Start low, build up and see how the plant reacts, adjust when needed. From the 6 plants I had, only 1 or 2 showed a minor deficiency and was corrected in time. To work with what I knew.

I did follow your advise and give that maximum dose and skipped feeding once, and things didn't turn out so well. We can't know for sure if this was just a coincidence or not.

So why be angry and say you don't want to help anymore, just because I chose to give slightly less to play it safe?

@Sueet Maximizing isn't my goal yet, I'm just trying to get a feeling first. It's what worked for me before and that's why I tried it like that again. I saw the maximum as a maximum, because if that was the recommended amount I would expect it to say it's recommended to give that amount.
Sure, I can be completely wrong about this. I just thought it would be good not to exaggerate as I didn't know what to expect as there where no definitive answers to what happened to my plants. I came here to learn. I try to explain my reasons why I do what I do, and I have the impression it's been understood the wrong way.

@Emilya I see that every time I mention other people, you react dismissive and somewhat condescending. Those other people are just, to use your words, 'the typical online guru'.
Please do not attack me. You are mentioning other people to justify your arguments against doing the things I was suggesting and even my diagnosis of your situation. You claim you came here to learn and to figure out what was wrong with your grow, but when my suggestions were offered, you did everything you could do to do otherwise and then tell me why you thought that I am wrong, using other people to justify your position.

Sorry, but I don't play those games. I know what works for most people and most nutrients and I told you so. I know soil growing very well. You choose not to believe what I told you, and that is fine and I take no offense. I am sorry you don't agree with my characterization of your "gurus" but that is my justifiably held personal opinion, and you are under no obligation to agree with me... I simply threw it out there as something for you to chew on as you ponder your dilemma.

Doing the same thing over and over again is not going to fix your problem, IMHO. You are free to try though. As before, I strongly suggest that you do exactly as the person you described who is using the same nutrients successfully. Figure out what they are doing that you are not. Therein, you will find the solution to your problem.

Say, what are the plants doing?

Growing bigger buds :) Green leaves stay green, ugly leaves don't get any uglier.

Thank your for suggesting a flush, it saved my plants :thumb:

P1020210.JPG

Oh wow.. the left front one levelled up, as that was so full of white pistils you could tell that it wanted to do a lot more growing. And the others are fattening as well.

Yeah flush, I'm thinking very hard water + anything half strength or full strength + improper watering technique could lead to things gunking up.

I'm also wondering with very hard water do you really need the calmag? isn't that usually recommended for soft water or if using distilled water or reverse osmosis water.

There is much room for improvement indeed.

Calmag is indeed recommended for RO and soft water. I've heard plants under LED might need more, so I bought it just in case. I only started using it when there where signs of deficiency.

There is plenty of chalk in my tap water. Is it possible too much calcium could lock out other nutrients or alter the ph of my soil?

Back
Top Bottom