Seedling new growth slightly pale green: Nitrogen excess or deficiency?

johnehazeharvester

I am growing - 4 different strain
OG Kush and Alien OG from Seed Supreme and a Rosetta Stone and Mota Hari from Brothers Grimm

I noticed top of OG Kush with slight yellowing / light green new growth.
All plants under similar conditions
Ppfd 480-600 The OG Kush is 500 ppfd
Temp 76
RH 54%

(RH is relatively low because I still have autoflowers in the same room which have not quite finished so I dont want bud rot on them.)
2/1/2023
Transplanted seedlings into 5 gallon pots.
Used mycorrhizal fungi 1/2 tsp
soil

other amendments
I water w fish tank water diluted with 1:3 parts of water total ppm 200.

Sprayed with organic rev( has some humic acid) 2ml in 6oz spray bottle
Added 1/8 tsp aloe vera to foliar spray and watering

Top dress 2 tbsp azomite in each 5 gallon bucket

Occassionaly slight overwatering?
After foliar spray this AM I noticed significant drooping leave for a few hours which is from too much water.

Is this normal?
Is this from Nitrogen excess or deficiency?

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20230207_145932281.jpg

OG Kush This is the one I am concerned with

• PXL_20230207_145817180.jpg
Alien OG lagging a bit in growth but I think color is Okay

PXL_20230207_145806678.jpg

Rosetta Stone looks good

PXL_20230207_145802124.jpg

Mota Hari looks good.

Nitro deficiency. The plant you focused on, in the photos, is showing an early sign of it. The yellow leaves on neighboring plants have it worse.

Vigoro soil has mild slow release nutrients in it. Since there is Fox Farm ocean forest around it, I thought that soil should be pretty hot too.

I’m trying to do more of an organic grow this time because I got in trouble towards the end of my last grow with some nutrient lockout. I also thought the fish tank water would give it some nitrogen.

I was also under the impression that you didn’t have to really give anything for the first three weeks. Also, is it unusual for this nitrogen deficiency to show on the top new leaves? I thought that usually shows on the older leaves. Although this is a young plant and there’s not too many old leaves.
I have alfalfa meal that I was planning on top dressing with kelp meal but the kelp is not coming till thursday.
My choices now are

1. I still have Foxfarm nutrients that I could add a bit of grow big and big bloom too, while I am waiting.
2. Add full strength fish tank water with ppm 300
3. Top dress now with alfalfa meal

FFOF isn't nearly as hot as some make it out to be. Fish tank water, unless it's what you vacuum out of the gravel, is pretty useless, most fish don't do well in high N water, and although it's 300 PPM, you don't know what the "parts" are. It does look like it's suffering just a little bit from too much water, which can mimic many deficiencies. I'd wait until your new nutes arrive, in the meantime, let the pots dry out some.

uncomposted materials are said to pull or tie up N from the soil to aid in decomposition…
Good catch, I hadn't noticed that. When making soil you want to try and get the Carbon to Nitrogen ration to about 25 to 1. If the ratio is higher than that the decomposition process will "steal" N from the soil. Different things have different C to N ratios. Redwood sawdust is 1200 to 1, grass clippings are 15 to 1, fir wood chips are 400 to1. So uncomposted wood chips are probably not a great thing to use. To compensate, say you have 100 lbs of wood chips at 100 to 1 C to N, in order to break them down to a 25 to1 you'd have to add 4 lbs of nitrogen fertilizer, if I did my math right (Soil Science class was a long time ago).

FFOF isn't nearly as hot as some make it out to be. Fish tank water, unless it's what you vacuum out of the gravel, is pretty useless, most fish don't do well in high N water, and although it's 300 PPM, you don't know what the "parts" are. It does look like it's suffering just a little bit from too much water, which can mimic many deficiencies. I'd wait until your new nutes arrive, in the meantime, let the pots dry out some.
I concur lol(love that word) lol, when I started growing I read several places that FFOF was to hot for seedlings. after a few grows I figure if it can grow wild in the mountains of Afghanistan ,FFOF wont be a issue. That being said I started mixing happy frog with it not because it is hot ,but because the mycorrhiza then I learned of the wonders of super soil /organic fox farm and or happy frog are a excellent base for Organic soil. with dyno myco and Geo flora and a few other items lock outs and deficiencies are a thing of the past you also might wanna check that new FF HF jumpstart if you up pot after germination .@Phytoplankton not sure if you remember a long time ago we had a talk about HF and OF which led to my love of organic grows. To be honest IMO I dont worry about a slight discolor when they are this young now if this happens after I have 4-5 nodes I worry . but nature has a way of taking care of the young'un's But thats just me best of luck my friend :thumb:

* Brothers grimm are rated the top breeder in many circles Mr Soul is old school with the likes of SSSC and other legends My next grow is going to be all brothers grimm I think im gonna do Grimm Truffles and Apollo XX but I have a bunch of tester seeds Im also thinking thier apple fritter gluey or Cap junky and rosetta stone. they are one of the few breeders I know of that get most of thier seeds with 2 female parents Living proof that 2 girls can have babies 50 -60 day sativas is insane they truly rock :headbanger:

You need to get your tent as close to 84f as possible. Your plants will do better with proper leaf surface temperature. google LST using LEDs. Black dog LEDs have a nice write up.
I find that under LEDs 5ml/gal of calmag are needed every watering and feeding.
Thanks. I am still waiting for my other plants to finish so I try to keep temperatures < 78F i’m planning on cutting down my other plants in about a week most trichomes are cloudy but I see no Amber

I concur lol(love that word) lol, when I started growing I read several places that FFOF was to hot for seedlings. after a few grows I figure if it can grow wild in the mountains of Afghanistan ,FFOF wont be a issue. That being said I started mixing happy frog with it not because it is hot ,but because the mycorrhiza then I learned of the wonders of super soil /organic fox farm and or happy frog are a excellent base for Organic soil. with dyno myco and Geo flora and a few other items lock outs and deficiencies are a thing of the past you also might wanna check that new FF HF jumpstart if you up pot after germination .@Phytoplankton not sure if you remember a long time ago we had a talk about HF and OF which led to my love of organic grows. To be honest IMO I dont worry about a slight discolor when they are this young now if this happens after I have 4-5 nodes I worry . but nature has a way of taking care of the young'un's But thats just me best of luck my friend :thumb:

* Brothers grimm are rated the top breeder in many circles Mr Soul is old school with the likes of SSSC and other legends My next grow is going to be all brothers grimm I think im gonna do Grimm Truffles and Apollo XX but I have a bunch of tester seeds Im also thinking thier apple fritter gluey or Cap junky and rosetta stone. they are one of the few breeders I know of that get most of thier seeds with 2 female parents Living proof that 2 girls can have babies 50 -60 day sativas is insane they truly rock :headbanger:
As a follow-up, these seeds were planted in the soil with tiny tap roots 17 days ago.
Here is what I have been doing
2/7 Topped dressed with alfalfa meal 1 tbsp each pot. Watered w ppm 375 1 ml grow big and 2 ml big bloom in 1.5 liters and watered 250 ml each plant plants were overwatered. Still have not watered topsoil feels moist. I will let them go one to two more days and wait for the soil to dry out.
Mixed 1L water with .3 mL of cal mag 4 – 0–0 and quarter teaspoon of aloe vera and 2 ml organic Rev(humic acid) for watering pH 6.03. I will use this to water over the next few days.

2/8 Top dress 1 tbsp dr earth home grow and 1 tbsp kelp meal

PXL_20230209_153135450.jpg
PXL_20230209_153131092.jpg
View attachment 2646722
PXL_20230209_154637100.jpg
PXL_20230209_153056212.jpg

I am going on a trip and won't return until Sunday night. Monday I plan on adding a bit more soil which will consist of earthworm castings, perlite and soil to raise my level up a little higher. I probably should have put more soil in in the beginning.

I also read that the beneficial microbes in fish tank water could help. not sure if that is true.
I do not know about microbes from aquarium water. The microbes from outdoor ponds and fish farms are supposedly a great benefit as a soil additive.

The Fish Head Farms company has a product called Fish Sh!t which the mulm or fish poop on the bottoms of their fish farm ponds. It is sold as a soil conditioner and if I remember right the factory rep said it boosts the amount of microbes in the soil. It is not a fertilizer, just microbes.

Not sure if aquariums would have a large amount of the right microbes unless it was a natural soil base with water plants already growing.

I thought about growing plants in my tanks but figured I already had enough going on with all the houseplants, the weed plants in the basement and everything growing in the back yard.:).

I do not know about microbes from aquarium water. The microbes from outdoor ponds and fish farms are supposedly a great benefit as a soil additive.

The Fish Head Farms company has a product called Fish Sh!t which the mulm or fish poop on the bottoms of their fish farm ponds. It is sold as a soil conditioner and if I remember right the factory rep said it boosts the amount of microbes in the soil. It is not a fertilizer, just microbes.

Not sure if aquariums would have a large amount of the right microbes unless it was a natural soil base with water plants already growing.

I thought about growing plants in my tanks but figured I already had enough going on with all the houseplants, the weed plants in the basement and everything growing in the back yard.:).
We do have natural plants in the tank. I don't take care of the fish but the next time the wire gets changed I I will say for you later

Back
Top Bottom