Seedling stunted, anything wrong?

Ok guys, I seriously need help. I talked about my seedling til now, and.. well, it didn't change in any way. It got slightly yellow though, it's losing color. No growth, the pot is losing around 40ml water weight though every day, I really wanted to let it dry out this time until the leaves slightly droop, just to make sure I didn' overwater.

But my second plant which was just a free seed, is once again showing the same symptoms that my two autoflowers had & died from in the span of a week.

I'm totally clueless and sad right now. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, as everything seemed perfect. Just absolutely perfect. The temperatures, humidity, airflow, exhaust, I got a very good pH pen (Apera PH20), I always test it first, I got myco, just the whole list this time because I wanted to do something good for my plants. Yes the BioBizz Allmix soil may be hot, but even my autoflowers grew wonderfully in it, til something killed them in early flower. Is it my tapwater that kills the plants? What's going on here? My tapwater has a PH of 8.0, but I always lower it after adding nutrients to 6.3-6.6 as BioBizz recommends on the schedule. I even let it dechlorinate this time, just because I was hopeless after both my autos died.

FYI:

Small seedling gets only water, as the soil is hot in itself. Only a small amount of root juice is added. In my last grow, root juice wasn't added as I didn't have it, so it can't be that. The seedling is in a homemade ~2L fabric pot, cut out of a 6 gallon pot because I had one left & didn't want to order a tiny one. It got fet with ~150ml of water ph@6.5 last time. Temps 24-25°C, humidity 60-67%.

Bigger early veg plant same everything, but a plastic pot with some more holes cut on the bottom. Got fed 200ml of water with a small amount of fish mix, ph@6.5.

Here is my seedling, pretty much 100% stunted and not growing in any way for the past 4-5 days now. Tip is burned on one leaf, but it's also yellowing everywhere.
20230822_112312.jpg
20230822_112315.jpg

Here is the random freebie, showing the same symptoms as my autoflowers, but this time early into veg. The leaves turn mushy on the tips, as if it's thin wet paper. It's not dry, it's literally strangely mushy. They slightly curl inwards on the sides, and there's weird yellow smudges randomly appearing. And generally yellowing on the whole plant, over the span of one night. I literally got sad as soon as I opened the tent today, and saw the same stuff that happened in my last grow. I also checked for pests, especially thrips because of the dots everywhere, but there's just.. nothing. Nothing on the sticky traps, nothing on the plants, even checked with a macro camera inch for inch.

I really need help. Give as much criticism as needed, I need hate, I need someone who can really tell me what I'm doing wrong here, because apparently I killed my last plants just like this, too. They grew wonderfully though, lush heavy greens, everything was beautiful until early flower, then the symptoms appeared, and now it's the same here.

20230822_112227.jpg

20230822_112234.jpg

20230822_112238.jpg

20230822_112257.jpg

Your plants are big enough that soil too hot for seedlings really shouldn't be an issue.

What are you using for nutrients? Did anything change recently coincident with the issues you are having?

Pretty much the whole BioBizz line with a few exceptions. I own Grow, Bloom, FishMix, CalMag, RootJuice, TopMax, and Algamic. Just the cheap ones, as I don't feel like spending tons of money for BioHaven or stuff like that. I also have epsom salts and mycorrhizae, only used myco now though. And a tiny bottle of Aptus Regulator (Silica stuff), but never used it.

For the tiny plant, I haven't used anything yet besides rootjuice, as the nutrients inside the soil should apparently be enough for 4 weeks. The bigger plant got FishMix in the last feeding, half the recommended dose. Every feeding is PHed with Biobizz ph down until it's at 6.4 or 6.5

Okay, so I probably did something very unhealthy for this plant, but 8 years ago this is how I grew my plant straight to harvest with almost no problems, just inexperience with too much light in veg: Cheap garden soil / potting mix. This time with lots of perlite though. After informing myself about AllMix, some young plants just die in that.

Let me note that this second plant was my windowsill plant, it was pretty much a joke at first, but I threw it in the tent with the main one. So I could accept if it died (I don't want it to die though).

I took it out the pot, soil was once again very wet on the bottom, and there was literally no new root growth in the new soil (I repotted around 2 weeks ago, it was a rather slow plant already). The root system was tiny, thin. I don't understand why I never get good root growth, even with myco and way less watering, same happened to my autos in the end when I checked the roots. A tiny tiny TINY root system with thin roots. What am I always doing wrong here? Is it the hot biobizz allmix soil? The PH? I'm missing something severely important here, and it always kills my plants.

Anyways - I washed off the roots, while trying to cause as little damage as possible. I got my basic cheap 0815 potting soil, mixed it with lots of perlite (around 30%), and re-planted it into it. The soil itself is already rather moist by nature when straight out the bag, so I didn't water it.

I'll get back soon to tell you if it helped. All these problems started with BioBizz soil, I literally grew a huge plant in cheap garden potting mix with nothing but 2 biobizz bottles and one cheap $10 fan back then, I feel like it's really just the hot soil this time.

My question is - If it gets big enough, is it fine to repot it into a bigger pot with biobizz again? In combination with just random soil?

Edit: And because of bug bites - I took the plant out the tent and checked everything with an LED light and a magnifying glass. There is just nothing, just some soil here and there on the leaves. It does indeed look like bug damage though, which confuses me a bit. Whole tent is clean, not one bug anywhere.

Ok now I'm a tad confused. I'm having a hard time keeping which plants you are talking about separate. The first pic has "Gazz" which I'm assuming was the plant you were originally talking about that you just up potted in to the fabric pot. The last pics with the plastic pot, was that the one on the windowsill? When did you put it in to the tent? What conditions was that grown in? Also, you said you use tap water you dechlorinate, are you sure your water treatment plant uses chlorine and not chloramine? From what I understand, chloramine does not evaporate nearly as readily as chlorine (if at all) which can have a huge impact.

I'm starting to get confused on what the entire situation in the tent is.

Yeah I'm sorry, here's what's going on:

Gazzurple, the tiny plant: No growth as of the 17th of August, didn't move one bit. Lower first leaves (not coty) are slightly yellow as of today, with one tip being not dark brown like nute burn, but more of a grey-ish brown. Otherwise looks pretty healthy. Fabric pot. Main problem was pretty much no growth at all for almost a week now. it did grew wonderfully at first, no changes have been done in that time.

Bigger plant, Special Kush #1: Windowsill plant that was just decoration and grew rather slowly because of it, but I put it in the tent later on with Gazzurple. It's the one in the plastic pot now, and the one with severe symptoms that showed up over night. It's repotted now with basic potting mix, as I know what happeend with my last two plants which showed the same symptoms. Leaves turning strangely mushy yellow-ish, yellow-brown blotches, serrated edges curling inwards. Also notable damage that looks like thrips or something, but I've literally checked every part of the plant and there's just.. nothing. Maybe because I used neem oil in the past 2 days?

My communes water diagram shows "chloride" as content in water, with 8mg/ml, I don't know if that's of any help.

You can be quite cavalier with Bio even in AllMix - the plant will only take what it needs and I've only ever seen overfertilization once, and a flush quickly fixed that
If that were my plant it would be getting 1-2ml/L of CaMg, Gro, Bloom and Alga by now
BioHeaven is the activator that brings it all together

Just to check - knock up a batch of feed and set to pH6.3
Leave it for an hour, then check it again just to make sure it hasn't drifted upwards again

A drop or two of lemon juice and left to stand before you add any nutes makes for a better base water - but still make the final adjustment after nutes have been added
Hope that helps

You can be quite cavalier with Bio even in AllMix - the plant will only take what it needs and I've only ever seen overfertilization once, and a flush quickly fixed that
If that were my plant it would be getting 1-2ml/L of CaMg, Gro, Bloom and Alga by now
BioHeaven is the activator that brings it all together

Just to check - knock up a batch of feed and set to pH6.3
Leave it for an hour, then check it again just to make sure it hasn't drifted upwards again

A drop or two of lemon juice and left to stand before you add any nutes makes for a better base water - but still make the final adjustment after nutes have been added
Hope that helps

This raises a few questions:

* How long does a mixed batch of nutrients stay "usable", especially with something like BioBizz? 1L of solution would take some time to get used up by two tiny plants, as I can't feed them 1L right now, they'd suffocate right there.

* 1-2ml of CalMag per L? Isn't that like 5 times the amount I should use in case they need it? Also bloom so early into veg?

* I imagine you're just talking about the bigger plant now, or? I don't think the tiny one should get such amounts of nutrients right now, or am I wrong?

* BioHaven is the only one I don't own, as I felt like it was way too expensive, can't afford that stuff right now. Is it that important?

Yeah I'm sorry, here's what's going on:

Gazzurple, the tiny plant: No growth as of the 17th of August, didn't move one bit. Lower first leaves (not coty) are slightly yellow as of today, with one tip being not dark brown like nute burn, but more of a grey-ish brown. Otherwise looks pretty healthy. Fabric pot. Main problem was pretty much no growth at all for almost a week now. it did grew wonderfully at first, no changes have been done in that time.

Bigger plant, Special Kush #1: Windowsill plant that was just decoration and grew rather slowly because of it, but I put it in the tent later on with Gazzurple. It's the one in the plastic pot now, and the one with severe symptoms that showed up over night. It's repotted now with basic potting mix, as I know what happeend with my last two plants which showed the same symptoms. Leaves turning strangely mushy yellow-ish, yellow-brown blotches, serrated edges curling inwards. Also notable damage that looks like thrips or something, but I've literally checked every part of the plant and there's just.. nothing. Maybe because I used neem oil in the past 2 days?

My communes water diagram shows "chloride" as content in water, with 8mg/ml, I don't know if that's of any help.
Ok good so the chlorine will evaporate after time, just make sure you're letting it sit with movement (air stone) for 24 hours (couldn't find if you mentioned you were doing that). When did you put that windowsill plant in the tent? From what I understand you can't see most thrips without a 100x mag. It looks like thrip dmg. How many times did you spray the neem oil? Sounds like you sprayed once a couple days ago? Whenever I use neem (not saying its the right way) I spray every other day for a week and then once a week for a few weeks. One dose will not get rid of any bugs (well will kill the grown but do nothing for eggs). I'd take the plant out until you can figure out exactly what it is. Remember your tent is a sanctuary. You can control to a certain point what goes on in there, but anything you bring in from outside could contaminate it. (i.e. no live plants of any kind come in to my grow room during a cycle). But kinda getting off topic.

The windowsill plant also looks like there are some water/root/drainage issues. Since you're in soil, I don't have any recommendations on how to correctly identify the issue, I would just recommend to change one thing at a time, and give it a few days to see if it corrects itself. Any damage on the leaves now will never repair itself so the only way youll be able to really determine if its good is by the new growth. Try not to change variables before you're certain the previous didn't work or you'll forever be chasing your tail trying to figure out what was the reason things changed.

This raises a few questions:

* How long does a mixed batch of nutrients stay "usable", especially with something like BioBizz? 1L of solution would take some time to get used up by two tiny plants, as I can't feed them 1L right now, they'd suffocate right there.

* 1-2ml of CalMag per L? Isn't that like 5 times the amount I should use in case they need it? Also bloom so early into veg?

* I imagine you're just talking about the bigger plant now, or? I don't think the tiny one should get such amounts of nutrients right now, or am I wrong?

* BioHaven is the only one I don't own, as I felt like it was way too expensive, can't afford that stuff right now. Is it that important?
I've used it in a 10L NFT reservoir and only changed it every 5-7days, sometimes just topped it up

With a pipette it's easy to make 500ml or even 250ml - any leftover goes on houseplants or the water butt
1ml = 16 drops, so for 500ml, 8 drops = 1ml/L; 4 drops in 250ml etc

1ml CaMg, 2ml Gro, 1ml Bloom, 1ml Alga - combining Gro with a bit of Bloom provides a balanced feed, seems to help the roots develop stronger

Yes, I'm talking about the bigger plant but don't be afraid to introduce a few drops of feed from 5-7 days
I would never do that with chem nutes

I've run with and without BioHeaven and it is definitely a worthwhile investment

Does anyone know what kind of damage this is? Is this just "oh boy you f*ed up" kind of damage? Just too hot of a soil? Or is this maybe something specific?

And I just remembered one important question about dry soil: I use Biobizz as I've already mentioned, and I'd like to know how exactly I should understand "dry" soil. When I first weigh my pot filled with fresh soil and some general moisture, it's around 180g (for seedling). After watering, it's around 220g. But even when the pot goes down all the way to 190g with like 10g of moisture left, the soil still feels cold and moist in some way, not "I can see moisture on my finger", but it just feels as if there's still moisture inside, it doesn't look like the DRY soil on top that's way lighter in brown color.

I feel like this is one of the mistakes I make, where I can't really decide if the soil is moist, or dry. Let me mention that I do have some sensitivity issues in my hands, where my brain can't really comprehend what exactly is going on (which is why I put so much trust on my scale and weighing pots).

20230823_153008.jpg

20230823_153015.jpg

My two cents are that that looks very much like over watering/root issues.

I'm still confused as to how overwatering works. Whenever I think about overwatering, I see drooping, thick lush leaves, just clawing and hanging down because there was too much water, and if it keeps being overwatered, it just dies. I see people adding 1L of straight up water into a 5 gallon pot of soil, with a tiny seedling in the middle, and everything goes perfectly fine. They just pour it on there and somehow all that water disappears in 3-4 days.

I feel like I'm just too dumb to understand the actually so simple process of growing a literal weed. I have monsteras thriving, insanely huge plants, aloe veras, bonsai trees, just everything. But I kill every cannabis plant I touch right now. I water way less, I have very airy soil, I have perfect temps and humidity, and they die because of too much water. This plant was literally perfectly healthy, and in the span of 2 days, the leaves suddenly became mushy and the whole plant destroys itself.

Oh god I hate myself.

It seems to me when we (in general) think about watering and the issues it causes, we blame the water. It really has nothing to do with the water, but the fact that the water has no more oxygen in it. So the roots sit in it and die (why standing water in soil is bad). But in hydro, the roots are constantly in water (that just so happens to be full of oxygen too). How you fix this in soil can be complicated (why i use coco/perlite atm). Could be proper dry cycles, better drainage in the soil. But the reason overwatered plants die is the lack of oxygen to the roots.

Does anyone know what kind of damage this is? Is this just "oh boy you f*ed up" kind of damage? Just too hot of a soil? Or is this maybe something specific?

And I just remembered one important question about dry soil: I use Biobizz as I've already mentioned, and I'd like to know how exactly I should understand "dry" soil. When I first weigh my pot filled with fresh soil and some general moisture, it's around 180g (for seedling). After watering, it's around 220g. But even when the pot goes down all the way to 190g with like 10g of moisture left, the soil still feels cold and moist in some way, not "I can see moisture on my finger", but it just feels as if there's still moisture inside, it doesn't look like the DRY soil on top that's way lighter in brown color.

I feel like this is one of the mistakes I make, where I can't really decide if the soil is moist, or dry. Let me mention that I do have some sensitivity issues in my hands, where my brain can't really comprehend what exactly is going on (which is why I put so much trust on my scale and weighing pots).

20230823_153008.jpg

20230823_153015.jpg
Thrips! You can see the speckles better in your first pictures, I see some middle stage ones in the pictures above. They have three distinct phases egg, larvae, nymph and adult, I guess that's four! Spray every third day with citric acid and dish soap to keep them at bay. 1 tsp citric acid per gallon or 1.3-1-5g per liter of water.

Other than that I think its down to watering practice. It looks like you're treating coir/soilless like a soil grown plant? You need to feed more often and not let the pots dry out to much between waterings. Elevate them from the ground to not let them sit in runoff water. Biobizz is known to be low in Magnesium. Do you use a Magnesium/Calcium supplement?

Change direction on your sticky traps so they dont point upwards, they are way more effective being positioned laying level to the ground.

Thrips! You can see the speckles better in your first pictures, I see some middle stage ones in the pictures above. They have three distinct phases egg, larvae, nymph and adult, I guess that's four! Spray every third day with citric acid and dish soap to keep them at bay. 1 tsp citric acid per gallon or 1.3-1-5g per liter of water.

Other than that I think its down to watering practice. It looks like youre treating coir/soilless like a soil grown plant? You need to feed more often and not let the pots dry out to much between waterings. Elevate them from the ground to not let them sit in runoff water. Biobizz is known to be low in Magnesium. Do you use a Magnesium/Calcium supplement?

The Thrip damage has apparently stopped since I've used neem twice (I'll keep using it), my smaller plant hasn't gotten any damage too. It just stopped completely for some reason. But I'll still copy what you said and put it in my "notebook" of important tips, so thanks a lot!

And about soil - I don't.. know? What is coir or soilless? I just know that I have BioBizz Allmix, isn't that just soil? I'm highly confused right now. Everwhere I went, people said to let the soil dry out fully, and then water again, repeat, repeat. What is BioBizz Allmix, if it isn't soil? I feel like I'm falling deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole here.

And yes I do have epsom salts and a bottle of CalMag ready at hand

The Thrip damage has apparently stopped since I've used neem twice (I'll keep using it), my smaller plant hasn't gotten any damage too. It just stopped completely for some reason. But I'll still copy what you said and put it in my "notebook" of important tips, so thanks a lot!

And about soil - I don't.. know? What is coir or soilless? I just know that I have BioBizz Allmix, isn't that just soil? I'm highly confused right now. Everwhere I went, people said to let the soil dry out fully, and then water again, repeat, repeat. What is BioBizz Allmix, if it isn't soil? I feel like I'm falling deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole here.
Biobizz Allmix is what we growers call "Pro-mix" or soilless, it's 100% sphagnum peat moss based, light and dark mixed. Pro-mix is probably the most known brand in the US. Coir and peat should be treated very similar in terms of watering and feeding.

And yes I do have epsom salts and a bottle of CalMag ready at hand
People still believe a lot of the old ways and have a hard time adjusting, changing and trying new methods or improving on the existing ones,

I feel like I'm just too dumb to understand the actually so simple process of growing a literal weed. I have monsteras thriving, insanely huge plants, aloe veras, bonsai trees, just everything. But I kill every cannabis plant I touch right now. I water way less, I have very airy soil, I have perfect temps and humidity, and they die because of too much water. This plant was literally perfectly healthy, and in the span of 2 days, the leaves suddenly became mushy and the whole plant destroys itself.
So I say again, come join us in #SIP Club. You'll at least eliminate watering from your learning curve.

Back
Top Bottom