Seedlings not growing

AZ007

Alright, so this is driving me kinda nuts, because this seedling is 3 weeks old, and its wayy too small, its been lookin like that since after the first week. It germinated quick, and it was already coming out the soil a day later, so i thought nice, but now 3 weeks after and is still this little. Now i started thinking that the reason why was maybe because i started in a small pot, like one of those small 6 inch pots, which is normal i guess for a seedling, BUT, i only had about half of the pot filled with soil, maybe slightly more than half, then u know seed was about an inch below the surface and the root develops even further down right? so im thinkin it didnt have room for the root to grow more and it got stuck there? So what i did yesterday was i took the plant outta the pot, and added more soil in the pot, about half more of what i had in there, then i placed the plant back in the pot so now it has more room to grow downwards, but not around because its still in the same pot. U guys think i shouldve just transferred it to a bigger pot instead of just adding more soil to the same one? Do u even think that the problem is what i think it is? I appreciate any help, thanks!

2013-05-10_13_55_02.jpeg

you shouldn't worry to much. you did ok but yes you should only try to mess with her as little as possible eg; the size pot you want to finish in. get the size pot plant her in that and all will be good. just not as fast as you want. it will grow:)

you shouldn't worry to much. you did ok but yes you should only try to mess with her as little as possible eg; the size pot you want to finish in. get the size pot plant her in that and all will be good. just not as fast as you want. it will grow:)

So ur saying transplant it to a bigger size pot and leave it alone?

yep! watching grass grow can be a little slow:) once the roots get going the green will follow
the less you can mess with the down under parts the better off you will be boss
So ur saying transplant it to a bigger size pot and leave it alone?

I never transplant or disturb tender seedlings until he cotyledons have shriveled up. She's just working on roots give her time shell come back with a vengeance

I appreciate it man, now heres another thing, its off topic but i was wondering, i know ive read everywhere that its good to veg with MH and flower with HPS, but my HPS light puts out more lumens, so ultimately using the HPS light from beginning to finish wouldnt be more efficient

I never transplant or disturb tender seedlings until he cotyledons have shriveled up. She's just working on roots give her time shell come back with a vengeance

I understand that, but after 3 weeks i started to think something is wrong. Im using a 400watt mh its expected to be way more developed than that after 3 weeks no?

when she gets settled and you begin to give her some nutes she will take off. I use a 400w hps start to finish and have been happy with my smoke. Canna is right but if your going to do. it do it one time:)

some strains are slower than others. in terms of light, forget the lumens they mean nothing other than how bight the light appears to use, the photosyntetically active radiation or P.A.R. of a given bulb is what matters most, the spectrum of mh bulbs is more condusive to veg growth tighter nodes whereas the hps spectrum is more ideal for finishing and budswell. look at a mid summers day sky, blue. now this autumn go do the same, orange. that said, i have and currently do veg with a 600 hps without issue as many do, so it is your call on that one but there are noticable drawbacks to vegging ith hps in my eperience. you can us either light tho

some strains are slower than others. in terms of light, forget the lumens they mean nothing other than how bight the light appears to use, the photosyntetically active radiation or P.A.R. of a given bulb is what matters most, the spectrum of mh bulbs is more condusive to veg growth tighter nodes whereas the hps spectrum is more ideal for finishing and budswell. look at a mid summers day sky, blue. now this autumn go do the same, orange. that said, i have and currently do veg with a 600 hps without issue as many do, so it is your call on that one but there are noticable drawbacks to vegging ith hps in my eperience. you can us either light tho

I thought the more lumens u give a plant the faster it will grow no? The closer the light is equals more lumen given so more concetrated energy, so faster and better growth? that was my thinkin in my head lol. But yea since i did what i did (added more soil to pot) i will wait a few days see if anything changes. And just to recap, so next time i transplant u suggest i transplant to biggest pot i possibly can so i get it done one time? Or should i gradually transplant to bigger and bigger pots?

Both, decide which u like. Its a preference deal mostly. Too big and u risk overwatering as there wont be adequate root mass to aid in drying the soil. But u don't wanna go so small the it can't do anytthing and u water 2x a day or daily. For this reason I like to give seedlings and clones 2-4 weeks in a solo cup to get a good solid rootball going before I transplant them to 5g smartpots where they will Vega for 6-8 weeks then I will transplant to 7 gallon pots and allow them to recover a week or so before I flip. Thus is just my route, I always encourage people to try any and all approaches toward something to allow them to develop experience and an opinion of their own. Of course not before becoming educated on the matter. Never make more than one change at a time or it can be hard to know what went right/wrong

Both, decide which u like. Its a preference deal mostly. Too big and u risk overwatering as there wont be adequate root mass to aid in drying the soil. But u don't wanna go so small the it can't do anytthing and u water 2x a day or daily. For this reason I like to give seedlings and clones 2-4 weeks in a solo cup to get a good solid rootball going before I transplant them to 5g smartpots where they will Vega for 6-8 weeks then I will transplant to 7 gallon pots and allow them to recover a week or so before I flip. Thus is just my route, I always encourage people to try any and all approaches toward something to allow them to develop experience and an opinion of their own. Of course not before becoming educated on the matter. Never make more than one change at a time or it can be hard to know what went right/wrong

Sounds good, thanks alot for the info, i guess i will eventually transplant them to a 3 gallon pot and then again maybe to a 5 or 7 1/2 if i have enough room. appreciate it!

Vegitive growth is more closely related to the correct spectrum of light used !

Hence we often use MH or cfls/T5 around the 6400/6500k (kelvin) thats the blue spectrum of light best for veg growth... MH are some what lower in kevin by the way.

The whole light spectrum thing triggers plant hormones for certain stages of growth...

The whole stunted growth might be related to temperature & total humidity of the growing enviroment... as in not being optimal ?

Vegitive growth is more closely related to the correct spectrum of light used !

Hence we often use MH or cfls/T5 around the 6400/6500k (kelvin) thats the blue spectrum of light best for veg growth... MH are some what lower in kevin by the way.

The whole light spectrum thing triggers plant hormones for certain stages of growth...

The whole stunted growth might be related to temperature & total humidity of the growing enviroment... as in not being optimal ?

so the heat could slow down the growth? My temperatures are about mid 80's lights on, humidity is good between 40-55,60%. Sometimes the temperature may indicate 91 degrees, but im pretty certain that this cheap thermometer is at least 6 degrees off

yes the heat can greatly hamper growth especially in a seedling, couple that with watering too often (not saying you are but its common with new growers) you risk mold rot and damping off, your humidity should be a touch high at this stage til the cotyledons drop (over 55% under 80%) high temps effect a plants ability to respirate , not a massive deal outdoor but indoors where air tends to lack freshness it CAN be a serious detriment to plant development.

im gonna try working on lowering those temps a little somehow, now..heres another question, would u say a 3 galon pot is too small to be the final pot? could a plant develop well, and have nice yields on a 3 galon pot or would u need a bigger one?

under a 400 3 gallons should be about perfect, ull want about a gallon per foot of plant, and i wouldnt veg past 18 inches max as the 400 lacks intensity. how many plants?

under a 400 3 gallons should be about perfect, ull want about a gallon per foot of plant, and i wouldnt veg past 18 inches max as the 400 lacks intensity. how many plants?

Oh sounds like im dead on. right..yea..for the space i have id probably just veg til 12-14 inches. 3 plants.

Back
Top Bottom