Shamus' Grow Journal 2011

Shamus

Hello everyone, So this is going to be a little tedious since I am new to EVERYTHING. So the plan is to build a 10 x 12 shed and then set up a qaulity grow room, then grow some Amnesia Haze. I am going into this with a plan but any advice along the way is welcome. So first thing, I will post some pics of the site where the shed will go. So for those of you lookng for JUST a grow journal you might have to wait a little on this one. This is gonna go from a patch of dirt to harvest. So here is the first draft of the plan:

Type: Hydro
#plants: 15 for the first go around.
Lights: 1 400w Advanced LED
Strain: Amnesia HAze
Nutes: Blue Planet

Anything else I should list?

I still have to purchase pumps for the reservoirs, trellis netting (i think, this is where I need help), air pumps??, and I gotta go get a sink from home depot. I have an RO unit, an AC (i think it is too big for my space though), and I haven;t yet got a DH. I have 1/2 inch tubing for the drip system, I have two oscillating fans, a Phat 10 inch carbon filter. I still need the centrifugal fan for exhaust.

Your idea for the floor was great, so I am getting the flooring this week. I plan on draining all used water into the yard. Good idea?

Ph meter is a very important took for your first grow, that and a ppm meter. You can spend 150+ at your hydro stote for those or google search and buy both for less than 30$ like i did. My ppm meter will be here tomorrow. Its my first grow and im realizing i need a ppm. Air pumps are easy their cheap like 15-20 bucks for a dual pump for 2 tanks..u have 15 so youd be better off with an expensive one with more power.never can have too much air. Im getting another air pump because mine just dont cut it for me

Skip the mylar, it retains heat and gets dirty very fast. Use Killz premium white primer, it stays more reflective longer and is easier to clean and has anti-microbial properties.

For the drain keep in mind you will need to clean with bleach and other chemicals so make sure your drain doesn't go to your garden or anything you care about. Bleach isn't much of a pollutant as it breaks down quickly so no concern there. It could be a source of suspicion if monster plants are growing around your drain outlet (from all the ferts dumped).

I would go with a continuous type pH / EC monitor. I got a nutri-dip tri meter a couple months back and it saves a lot of time. The probes are always in the res so all you have to do is look at the read out, and calibrate / clean (the probes) once a month.

P1020612.JPG

You could tilt the floor (double tilt actually) slightly so everything will drain to one corner. Have some cover for your drain, maybe a PVC plug in a 2-3 inch pipe that way you have an air / water / bug tight seal. I would give everything a double coat of kills then use REAL silicone on the joints to make them water tight. Keep all your electric near ceiling height and run it down as needed with extension cords, that way if you need to get jiggy with your hose or pressure washer in there it isn't a problem. Maybe even use those outdoor rated boxes that seal when the cover closes.

The best DH in the world is:

Royal Sovereign Dehumidifier BDH-550

Reasons: No emptying buckets, the humidity sensor can be moved with a little effort to canopy level, it is small - the casters can be removed to make it only 12" high, very good heat / moisture removed ratio.

You can never have too much AC. More AC means you can add more lights or it will run more efficiently.

Consider a elastomeric white roof covering, this will reduce the heat transmitted to your roof in the summer. Dow foam board insulation installed in the roofline will also help reflect heat if you leave an airspace between the roof and foam board.

Hey guys, sorry about the LONG hiatus. I have my grow up and running.

Blueberry and Durbin Poison.
Grodan Rockwool
House and Garden Nutes
Drip system for the water.

At the moment I have algae on my rockwool. Have heard that is not a big deal and that it IS a big deal. MAer, Bassman, Stevehman.......would love to hear your opinion on it. Maer, Sweet Tri meter. Where do I get one?

Shamus I figured I would come see what you have brewing now that I have a minute and must say I am impressed. 10'x12' seems like a large area for just one light, but I'm not very familiar with LED so I could be mistaken. I would get two inline fans if I were you, one to cool the light/equipment, and one to circulate fresh air into the room, then use your other fans to move it around within. Thats all I can think of for now. Had a question though, what is the difference between a ph meter and a ppm meter and is it neccessary to have both? I currently only have a portable ph meter, can I get by with just that???

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am reporting this to be moved to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom