SIP or SWICK - hmm which?

Pondwater

SIP or SWICK....pro con dont help im lost

im a 100gallon fabrick 3x8 plant bed
and i want a base feeder system, the sip looks best with the pies and an overflow pipe.. however im fabric
so i looked at the swick but this seems to not have anoverflow? so i can see potensial problems? or does the air aroud perlite on the edge mitigate that,

i just know its not meant to sit inthe water and on the swick it seems they do?
the sips however have 1inch airgap
could i just make a swick, with an overflow pipe to control it to a level 1inch below the perlite ? or wil it not work that way?

im using bluemats and a autopot spyder wick
bluemats being top fed,
spyder being middle of the planter

and hoping my sip/swick at base as in flower i have 8 plants that drink alot i watn it there as a failsafe backup and as an addition when they need,
i still feed my teas weekly ontop and topdress etc ,

just cant see any1 with giant 100gal planters here what they do for perfection?

I am running both at the same time and both styles grow beautiful plants. I water the rest holding the perlite bed till the water level is about 1/4 inches below the top of the perlite. Roots bust out bottom of fabric pot into perlite, then explosive growth.

SIP or SWICK....pro con dont help im lost

im a 100gallon fabrick 3x8 plant bed
and i want a base feeder system, the sip looks best with the pies and an overflow pipe.. however im fabric
so i looked at the swick but this seems to not have anoverflow? so i can see potensial problems? or does the air aroud perlite on the edge mitigate that,

i just know its not meant to sit inthe water and on the swick it seems they do?
the sips however have 1inch airgap
could i just make a swick, with an overflow pipe to control it to a level 1inch below the perlite ? or wil it not work that way?

im using bluemats and a autopot spyder wick
bluemats being top fed,
spyder being middle of the planter

and hoping my sip/swick at base as in flower i have 8 plants that drink alot i watn it there as a failsafe backup and as an addition when they need,
i still feed my teas weekly ontop and topdress etc ,

just cant see any1 with giant 100gal planters here what they do for perfection?
Why do you have the swick in the middle ? Isn’t the purpose for the roots to follow to the bottom? CL🍀

Great to know, thank you for your time.
I am very interested in using this watering method. Those dry cycles between waterings must wreak havoc on the microbial populations in the soil.

Can anyone suggest either a commercial manufacturer or a good comprehensive article on how to make them?

Thanks for your time and help.

Welcome to 420, DrDave:welcome:

You could check out @Azimuth 's SIP thread, lots of good info in there:

I am very interested in using this watering method. Those dry cycles between waterings must wreak havoc on the microbial populations in the soil.

Can anyone suggest either a commercial manufacturer or a good comprehensive article on how to make them?

Thanks for your time and help.
Hey DrDave,

What @Carcass said. :laughtwo:

Seriously though, there's a ton of good info in that thread. I've got a design suggestions post on page two of the thread. Plus there are several commercial options as well if you can do something pretty standard (i.e. 5g bucket)

Woo-hoo.. everyone knows what I'm about to post, 'cept @DrDave1956 ....

Back
Top Bottom