Building a SIP like planter

You have squirrels and we have the kind that don’t have as big ears or a bushy tail. (Rats) New York was the rat capital but now we are. Nasty vermin. CL🍀
Chocolate Milo and concrete powder mixed together put in a place only a rat can get to will sort them out :passitleft:

This had actually occurred to me.
When I was starting this thread about what I was building I actually called it a SIP-like-planter as it doesn't really meet all the criteria to be a true SIP.
I did look for something to use as a floor instead of the perlite, but anything that came up either didn't work or was prohibitively expensive.
This is a total experiment, and it might crash and burn, but it should be fun!
If I start to smell a problem through the watering tube my plan is to first put a bunch of H²O² down there, and then to drill multiple holes around the res and switch to a modified wet dry cycle, never fully filling the res. This mimics the way some pots I used to use work, with a watering port at the bottom.
They grew great plants, but we're only 10 litres and got rootbound quite quickly.
It might be too late by then, but we won't know for sure unless someone tries it.
I'm planning to grow an auto in there, and I don't know how that might change things though.
Use another one of those buckets chop 10-13cm off the bottom flip it and use that for a floor to separate dirt from reservoir, I made one recently this way and the SIP bucket/pot came out pretty clean i will drop a link in next comment.

This had actually occurred to me.
When I was starting this thread about what I was building I actually called it a SIP-like-planter as it doesn't really meet all the criteria to be a true SIP.
I did look for something to use as a floor instead of the perlite, but anything that came up either didn't work or was prohibitively expensive.
This is a total experiment, and it might crash and burn, but it should be fun!
If I start to smell a problem through the watering tube my plan is to first put a bunch of H²O² down there, and then to drill multiple holes around the res and switch to a modified wet dry cycle, never fully filling the res. This mimics the way some pots I used to use work, with a watering port at the bottom.
They grew great plants, but we're only 10 litres and got rootbound quite quickly.
It might be too late by then, but we won't know for sure unless someone tries it.
I'm planning to grow an auto in there, and I don't know how that might change things though.
This is the link to how I went about making a false floor, you should be able to do something similar.

This is the link to how I went about making a false floor, you should be able to do something similar.
Thanks, but I got a 4 gallon nursery pot with a new plant for the yard, and I'm planning to cut it down into a 2 gallon res with a 2cm air gap. It's thicker plastic than most nursery pots, so it should be fairly easy to modify, and make a sturdy res.
I'll update this thread with pics when I get started on that.

Back
Top Bottom