Why aren't sub irrigation planters more popular?

Side benefits are amazing, potentially days between waterings, constant growth, not the 36 hours after a dousing and then that's it for 3 days like traditional container irrigation. SIPs watched in time-lapsed videos show again and again that they grow continuously, and obviously. Traditional container watering does not. Oh right, side benefits... uses 100% of ferts and water, all inputs are used. Can go soilless, buffered coco or peat with 33% perlite, fertilized organic or LOS/TLO. Soil buffers you so you won't have overnight issues that threaten the crop. Conditions are a "steady-state" even when fertigating the reservoir and using peat/perlite. You can typically mix strength below max recommended, in fact in my Promix SIPs I feed 1.0-1.2 EC. Any balanced salt-based works in the reservoir, including some with biological amendments in them. The system is totally passive. There are no pumps, and you can even attach a large feeder rez, and control bucket, and self-fertigate without you touching it for as long as you wish.

Side benefits are amazing, potentially days between waterings, constant growth, not the 36 hours after a dousing and then that's it for 3 days like traditional container irrigation. SIPs watched in time-lapsed videos show again and again that they grow continuously, and obviously. Traditional container watering does not. Oh right, side benefits... uses 100% of ferts and water, all inputs are used. Can go soilless, buffered coco or peat with 33% perlite, fertilized organic or LOS/TLO. Soil buffers you so you won't have overnight issues that threaten the crop. Conditions are a "steady-state" even when fertigating the reservoir and using peat/perlite. You can typically mix strength below max recommended, in fact in my Promix SIPs I feed 1.0-1.2 EC. Any balanced salt-based works in the reservoir, including some with biological amendments in them. The system is totally passive. There are no pumps, and you can even attach a large feeder rez, and control bucket, and self-fertigate without you touching it for as long as you wish.

one thing i want to try is a sip with the same mix as my outdoor sub-irrigated hydro garden. i run promix hp and promix garden with some extra perlite added in. the promix garden is nuted, and i would assume has some time release, it's meant primarily for container garden without mixing.

aside from the mix the garden is both top and bottom fed. i use cannabis garden runoff when we are in production, randomly watered down with tap. if i don't have runoff handy i just mix up 20L at about 2g/L in a bucket and feed that.

feeding with nutes is pretty random, we'll also top water and of course there is rain.

full

the idea would be to build a sips with the same mix for indoor, then feed lightly with minimal nutes throughout the grow.

Hey jhuck,

Welcome to 420, sure the problem is that soil grown plants do not need to be watered every day, or every other day, or on a regular schedule. They need water when the plant has utilized all of the moisture content in the soil. For most soil types the plants need to experience both ends of the wet dry cycle, that is being fully saturated and then going to fully dried out. Gravity works so when the top inch is dry the bottom is still very much wet For soil grows a continuously wet soil deprives the roots of oxygen, weed grown in soil does not like wet feet….weed roots love oxygen but not exposure to light.

This might work for soilless grows like coco
Still feel that way ?

I felt like updating just in case anyone randomly fell in here and walked out with the wrong impression. Just tryin'to help.

@bluter that looks really amazing. I'd like to understand it in detail, if possible. Do you have some hempy elements, crossed with Dutch Buckets there, or something? Curios minds (who also have lots of bottom-watered contains. outside) want to know!

I felt like updating just in case anyone randomly fell in here and walked out with the wrong impression. Just tryin'to help.

@bluter that looks really amazing. I'd like to understand it in detail, if possible. Do you have some hempy elements, crossed with Dutch Buckets there, or something? Curios minds (who also have lots of bottom-watered contains. outside) want to know!

it's an outdoor container garden build. i put it together for my mom who has mobility issues and needed something above ground. it's based on a lot of similar wicking / sub-irrigated builds, both indoor or outdoor.

there's a lot of info out there on similar stuff. i mostly copied / experimented. it's a google away.

have a sub-thread on the build here :

@bluter PS, best set-it-and-forget-it ferts right now for canna appear to be "Real Growers: Grow Dots". Hit up @Carcass for deets. Company also offers an excellent microbial product, "Recharge" carcass used also. I know a lot of people who are longtime growers that rave over the stuff. I culture my own stock from commercial brands so I don't need to purchase very often. INcidentally "Real Growers" have come out with a SIP system, (3 months after I emailed them a 2 page diatribe, with pics, about SIPs and how their products suit it perfectly! No, I'm not bitter, but instead of a sponsorship they went another direction! lol). Their system is set up so that can be connected up with large feeder rez, all passive. "Real Growers". Just a FYI.

Thanks for the mention. RD!
I spoke to Scotty Real before I tried the dots- according to him, Dots work great in a SIP- in fact, that's what he grows in. I've got a 141 day old plant that says he's right...119 days in the Grow Dots...with Purpinator added for the last 49 days, for the p&K boost..Real Growers Recharge was added to her water once a week, from the beginning..She's in a 4.5 gallon diy SIP

She's coming down tomorrow or the next day, I think.
ATF 513.jpg

Still feel that way ?

:laugh: :rofl:

awww SNAP!! please pass the salt so’s I can eat my own words. Yeah I saw this thread earlier today and said I’ve got to post an update!

I’m a fully converted SIPper now on my 2nd run & midway thru my first SWICK plant Buds. What can I say from this venture- except piss on the ole wet dry cycle…. I’ll never go back!

I’m actually planning on an outdoor SIP / Swick hybrid built in a small creek bed.

I spoke to Scotty Real before I tried the dots- according to him, Dots work great in a SIP- in fact, that's what he grows in. I've got a 141 day old plant that says he's right...119 days in the Grow Dots...with Purpinator added for the last 49 days, for the p&K boost..Real Growers Recharge was added to her water once a week, from the beginning..She's in a 4.5 gallon diy SIP

ATF 513.jpg
Dude.... ... Wow. Did great, on the first try. Makes "everyone a better gardener", by a chunk, the first time. I really want to have a go in the RealGrowers 5 gal SIP buckets. I want to connect 6, between two 5x5's with all the gear outside the tents, just the buckets in there, A 50 gallon filler rez tucked away in a closet and a control bucket with clear run for lines. I bet I could get ultimately wall-to-wall on a less-than-24-day-veg with three buckets in each tent. SIPs have blowouts - like our buddy @Carcass here has done in a small moving box with nutes. Well played, sir. Your making the side look good, much obliged. She really is beautiful.
1a34207d7d41cab62a88dc80a4c6516d023dc595.jpeg

Raised this
:laugh: :rofl:

awww SNAP!! please pass the salt so’s I can eat my own words. Yeah I saw this thread earlier today and said I’ve got to post an update!

I’m a fully converted SIPper now on my 2nd run & midway thru my first SWICK plant Buds. What can I say from this venture- except piss on the ole wet dry cycle…. I’ll never go back!

I’m actually planning on an outdoor SIP / Swick hybrid built in a small creek bed.
That sounds amazing. There are many paths to constant irrigation outdoors. You do what you must. Well, that was back during prohibition. Now you can have a perfect, giant SIP or four on your property, but then start to get a little nervous in August, and suddenly in September your partner is not impressed. Every method has its jeopardy still!
So cool to have you come back. Are you going to grace us with any pics? Super close-ups? We understand if not, hell, I understand.

ATF 513.jpg
More PICS @Carcass , what are you doing to us? None of your sig links works except quadsquad. WANT MORE PICTURES! .... phew. Apologies.

More PICS @Carcass , what are you doing to us?
Ha! I just happen to have a few more on hand... 😁
None of your sig links works except quadsquad
Sorry about that- you have to click on "Low Budget Grow" to get to the journal...

A few more pics:
atf 1.jpg

ATF2 51223.jpg

a few buds...
atf 8.jpg

atf 5.jpg

atf 4.jpg

She's close to done, just waiting on a little more amber...

Raised this

That sounds amazing. There are many paths to constant irrigation outdoors. You do what you must. Well, that was back during prohibition. Now you can have a perfect, giant SIP or four on your property, but then start to get a little nervous in August, and suddenly in September your partner is not impressed. Every method has its jeopardy still!
So cool to have you come back. Are you going to grace us with any pics? Super close-ups? We understand if not, hell, I understand.
Hey ResDog,

Yeah its a tricky situation on my legal but stealth grow. It’s in another nearby state so I‘m not there for daily checks or protect the plants... I’m not liking the prospect of betting my summer crop on this, feels pretty risky, but I’m going for it anyway. Planning to spread the plants out maybe 30 minute hike between each one sounds doable.

yes sir, I hope to have some photos of the hybrid build. Right now I have them in 3 gallon fabric pots, with 2 long wicks hanging from each smartpot. It will be built in small stream bed with large stones protecting it from any high water events plus I’ve never seen high water in that creek over the last 25 years

Planning to use 2 layers of fencing to create the air gap (4 inch by 6 inch livestock fence covered with 1/4 inch square fencing so the dirt doesn’t cave in) so each plant will have 2 physical wicks in center plus the 40% aerated soil mix should wick water from the stream all by itself. The plants will sit perched above the fencing and should have about 40 gallon of new soil to munch on. This 40% rice hull aerated soil mix has been cooking since January so it’s ready for action.

open invitation…. if anything sounds off here please chime in!!!

laters!

Oh, the memories! Guerilla grower from the nineties here peeps, with two thumbs up for @013 and creative problem-solving! Nice work. I could have really used you on the team, waaaayback-when. Total nostalgia trip.

Distance between plants can help, but use of the tactic has to be dependent on your assessment of the threat. The ultimate outdoor grower ace in the hole is numbers. Anticipate a painful loss rate, and plant so many it won't matter. Maybe next year, eh?

I'm with you to the end mate, so let's do this thing and bring them all to harvest!

Hey ResDog,

Yeah its a tricky situation on my legal but stealth grow. It’s in another nearby state so I‘m not there for daily checks or protect the plants... I’m not liking the prospect of betting my summer crop on this, feels pretty risky, but I’m going for it anyway. Planning to spread the plants out maybe 30 minute hike between each one sounds doable.

how is running a guerilla grow in a state you don't live in legal ?

I have homes in both states. Main reason for the stealth aspect is theres hunting and hiking pressure in autumn.

ok. is it on your own property ?

Oh, the memories! Guerilla grower from the nineties here peeps, with two thumbs up for @013 and creative problem-solving! Nice work. I could have really used you on the team, waaaayback-when. Total nostalgia trip.

Distance between plants can help, but use of the tactic has to be dependent on your assessment of the threat. The ultimate outdoor grower ace in the hole is numbers. Anticipate a painful loss rate, and plant so many it won't matter. Maybe next year, eh?

I'm with you to the end mate, so let's do this thing and bring them all to harvest!

thanks ResDog!!

one of the spots I looked at is a 5 acre swamp created by a beaver dam. There’s no way anything would grow there without a SIP air gap. Plus it’s fairly remote, so I’m thinking not too many people want to wade out in the muck to investigate.

I appreciate the support!!

Back
Top Bottom