Welcome to The Club, @Absorber !

Any questions as you go through build, fire away. I'd love to see what little cups you're using inside the Solo's as I've not found anything suitable so I use large perlite or hydroton in a section at the bottom of the cup around the overflow hole.
Send me a message and i can send you a link to the clear cups, I dont want to get in trouble posting a link 😊

Yep, those will work great.

I thought you were talking about something that would form the reservoir.

I found little condiment cups that will work for the 16oz versions but still haven't found something for the 9 oz version.
These do create a reservoir 👍

Yes, but not the soil connector piece.

Those two cups are separate from each other. There needs to be a connection.
I was thinking of putting the drain hole on red cup just above the bottom of the clear cup so the bottom of clear cup can wick and as the roots reach the bottom of the clear cup ,swap to another red cup with drain below bottom of clear cup to create the air gap and the roots can grow out into red cup if they want .
Do you think that will do ?

I was thinking of putting the drain hole on red cup just above the bottom of the clear cup so the bottom of clear cup can wick and as the roots reach the bottom of the clear cup ,swap to another red cup with drain below bottom of clear cup to create the air gap and the roots can grow out into red cup if they want .
Do you think that will do ?
It's my understanding that a SIP will have a soil "wicking foot" that sits in the reservoir. Otherwise it's something else.

Ok as promised :hmmmm:
Here is my attempt at a SIP pot ,critique welcome 😳😂
Made from 2 /20ltr black buckets one bucket cut at 14cm from the bottom this was the divider for the reservoir, saves me having pipes or bottles to hold the divider up . I used a short piece of 90mm storm water pipe with a cap and I used a 90mm to 100mm reducing bush and trimmed the outside 100mm bit off to give me a bigger shoulder to support divider .
The top half of the bucket that was chopped is fitted to the top of the bucket with screws from inside out into the flanged bit handles go through, trimmed a section of lid to hold fill pipe ,skewer and cork to indicate water level .
Drain pipe fitted and holes drilled in divider and foot.
Let me know if I've missed anything 😊:headbanger:

Hi SIP club, I would like to show you the differences in my experiment between SIP and airpot splits are huge.
IMG_20230717_191136.jpg
IMG_20230717_190638.jpg
IMG_20230717_190627.jpg
IMG_20230717_190619.jpg
IMG_20230717_190615.jpg
IMG_20230717_190612.jpg

Thanks @Kanno26 . If you still have the root balls, can you cut them in half vertically to show what a cross section looks like?

The Airpots are designed to air prune the roots that would normally be on the outside of the pot while a plastic bucket encourages them, so I'll bet the difference in total root mass is actually not as great as pictures of the outside of the root balls would suggest, but the SIP plants were definitely larger.

Congrats on the harvest!

Ok as promised :hmmmm:
Here is my attempt at a SIP pot ,critique welcome 😳😂
Made from 2 /20ltr black buckets one bucket cut at 14cm from the bottom this was the divider for the reservoir, saves me having pipes or bottles to hold the divider up . I used a short piece of 90mm storm water pipe with a cap and I used a 90mm to 100mm reducing bush and trimmed the outside 100mm bit off to give me a bigger shoulder to support divider .
The top half of the bucket that was chopped is fitted to the top of the bucket with screws from inside out into the flanged bit handles go through, trimmed a section of lid to hold fill pipe ,skewer and cork to indicate water level .
Drain pipe fitted and holes drilled in divider and foot.
Let me know if I've missed anything 😊:headbanger:

Nice clean build @Absorber ! I'm surprised that the bottom of the second bucket fit so well inside the first. That's a great solution to creating the 'false floor.'

:thumb:

Nice clean build @Absorber ! I'm surprised that the bottom of the second bucket fit so well inside the first. That's a great solution to creating the 'false floor.'

:thumb:
Thanks if you look closely at the side of the insert you can see I've drilled 4 32mm holes evenly spaced and slotted them to the edge so the sides of the insert could taper in and seat on the bottom of the outer bucket. There was also 2 different types of black buckets one was about 10mm bigger and that worked to my advantage i cut the larger bucket up as it fit more snug in the smaller bucket and would make the top off cut of the bucket fit better in the top aswell ,to extend the height.
I got lucky with the 2 slightly different sizes of the buckets .
:snowboating:

I don't know how to dry whole plants yet, but I will definitely let you know 😉

Hey Kanno, depending on your approach to plant training / grow style I’d say be sure to use something to hold the colas apart for whole plant drying. If all that biomass is clumped together there will be reduced airflow and greater chance of PM or budrot.…

I’ve had success with metal coat hangers used as spacers, straighten out the wire hanger and use it to tie the colas apart

Well here goes my first attempt at building a SIP.
I was going to use storage totes but a friend of mine hooked me up with a couple shipping totes
I cut the bottom out of one and put the sip holes in opposite corners. The PVC is the 2 inch spacers for the bottom support and I need to drill the drain holes in the floor and little pots yet.
This is also going to have a net that attaches to it that I made from a old 26 inch bike rim, this is going to be my 1st stage net and I made a 3X3 net that attaches to my tent.
If I'm forgetting anything I would appreciate your advice..

IMG_20230715_132934.jpg

IMG_20230715_133037.jpg

IMG_20230718_072916.jpg

IMG_20230718_073015.jpg

IMG_20230718_073037.jpg

IMG_20230718_073924.jpg

Overflow hole at appropriate height is the only thing that comes to mind. How big are the totes?
I didn't forget the drain hole I still have a few to drill yet, but I appreciate you looking out.
As far as the size, when it's finished it will be.
19.5 inches long
14 inches wide and 10 inches deep, so probably 8 maybe 10 gallon of soil should work.

Back
Top Bottom