Building a SIP like planter

That's because you keep disappearing for short spells.... lol. Welcome back ! I can just imagine how your grow area will look if you start doing SIP's. Think it was full before ? Ha-Ha. Think again ! Giant plants come easy with these pots.
Yeah man life Ben f crazy lol I’ll definitely will follow closely it definitely got my attention

We're going to be finding out today. I'm planning on putting two 5 litre bags of perlite in and marking the level it gets to. Then I'll drill the overflow hole 2cm below that.
I'll measure the heights and post them here.
I've been trying to get caught up in the SIP club thread, but 88 or 89 pages takes a while, lol!

This will be my first foray into it too!
Closest I've come before now was some 10 litre bottom watering pots from the dollar store.

Oaxaca Valley in Mexico, in this case. It's the Spanish spelling of a Nahuatl word I'm not even going to try to spell. It's also the name of one of the states down there.

I've seen pics of your grows in them! Very impressive!
It got my attention cuz it’s more hands on u can make it out stuff u have laying around the yard

Well, I just finished putting it together, and found out the last 5 pics vanished!
I'll put together a drawing of it later and post it.
Here are the first 3 pics. After this I cut the top part of the bag off, cut a hole in some burlap and fit it over the bag. Then I fit some cloth over the end of the fill pipe and buried that end in the perlite through another hole in the burlap.
Then I buried it all in the soil.
The overflow hole is 5cm up from the bottom of the tote, and the perlite is 7cm deep (no autocorrect, that should not read "derp").
What else am I missing?
Turns out 10 litres of perlite wasn't enough, so I ended up using 15.
Sippish not enough perlite.jpg

Sippish better.jpg

In the second pic you can see the divot I made in the perlite to drill the overflow hole.
There was a plant growing out a hole in a bag of soil too.
Sippish soil plant.jpg

I put some burlap and bricks on top of the soil to keep the squirrels out.

Well, I just finished putting it together, and found out the last 5 pics vanished!
I'll put together a drawing of it later and post it.
Here are the first 3 pics. After this I cut the top part of the bag off, cut a hole in some burlap and fit it over the bag. Then I fit some cloth over the end of the fill pipe and buried that end in the perlite through another hole in the burlap.
Then I buried it all in the soil.
The overflow hole is 5cm up from the bottom of the tote, and the perlite is 7cm deep (no autocorrect, that should not read "derp").
What else am I missing?
Turns out 10 litres of perlite wasn't enough, so I ended up using 15.
Sippish not enough perlite.jpg

Sippish better.jpg

In the second pic you can see the divot I made in the perlite to drill the overflow hole.
There was a plant growing out a hole in a bag of soil too.
Sippish soil plant.jpg

I put some burlap and bricks on top of the soil to keep the squirrels out.
You have squirrels and we have the kind that don’t have as big ears or a bushy tail. (Rats) New York was the rat capital but now we are. Nasty vermin. CL🍀

Looking great so far, Mel!

Are you just going to have a drain hole, or are you going to glue a piece of tubing in the hole?
The reason I ask is because the runoff (overflow) is much easier to contain with tubing directing it somewhere, like into a pan or something...
I bring it up now, since it's easier to install before you fill the SIP.
And, you may not even need it, but I thought I should mention it.

*I'm glad you'll be the one lifting that, and not me...my 4 gallon is plenty heavy enough... 😁

Are you just going to have a drain hole, or are you going to glue a piece of tubing in the hole?
The reason I ask is because the runoff (overflow) is much easier to contain with tubing directing it somewhere, like into a pan or something...

*I'm glad you'll be the one lifting that, and not me...my 4 gallon is plenty heavy enough... 😁
He’s gonna need a forklift to move it once it’s got going. CL🍀

Thanks Carcass!
It's staying outdoors on the patio from now on, lol!
I'm going to point the hole towards the garden. That way when the overflow goes out it'll be fertilizing whatever flowers are in that section (likely dahlias).
I only need to shift it about 2 metres from where it is now to where it'll be staying.
If things go well this year it will be used for autos every year.
He’s gonna need a forklift to move it once it’s got going. CL🍀
No kidding! It's got almost 50 litres of wet soil in it right now, and I'll be adding a little more when it settles a bit.
You have squirrels and we have the kind that don’t have as big ears or a bushy tail. (Rats) New York was the rat capital but now we are. Nasty vermin. CL🍀
Bastards chewed a hole in one of my fabric pots last year!
Just one!

Thanks Carcass!
It's staying outdoors on the patio from now on, lol!
I'm going to point the hole towards the garden. That way when the overflow goes out it'll be fertilizing whatever flowers are in that section (likely dahlias).
I only need to shift it about 2 metres from where it is now to where it'll be staying.
If things go well this year it will be used for autos every year.

No kidding! It's got almost 50 litres of wet soil in it right now, and I'll be adding a little more when it settles a bit.

Bastards chewed a hole in one of my fabric pots last year!
Just one!
Oh man that’s a death ☠️ sentence around here, I lived in the South where people eat those cute little critters. Not me but if they messed with my girl’s it would be BB gun time. Sorry P.E.T.A. CL🍀

Oh man that’s a death ☠️ sentence around here, I lived in the South where people eat those cute little critters. Not me but if they messed with my girl’s it would be BB gun time. Sorry P.E.T.A. CL🍀
It didn't hurt the plant, but I still don't know why it did that.
I don't have a pellet gun, but I do have a flatbow 🏹🐿️

i just placed my order with 2 ace seeds strains on herbies website - Thai Chi and Kali China and i've seen many others
Yes, but they're out of stock of the Purple Satellite. Or they were when I checked.

if you skip the soil it's a hempy. i'd go for a more traditional sips build. i don't think the hempy's are as stable.

Back
Top Bottom