The Everything SWICK Club: 2023 And Beyond

I think it’s combo of both because I predominatly fed the down to earth 5-4-2 (ground up meals) and liquid fish thru the reservoir then every 3rd or 4th day I’d spray liquid fish on top of all my other top dress layers.

cool yes good idea and I want to run Geoflora in swick res too.
You fed fish in the res ? Didn’t that go stinky ? Or dya let em drink dry
I’d added shit and pulling up to empty soma y buckets kills me lol

Yep Pond sure did but to clarify, I didn’t run it in veg but only used the liquid fish during flower

Its pretty cheap stuff (in US Lowes & Home Depot both carry it like $10 for 32 Oz)but it’s Alaska fish ferts 6-1-1 mixed up a 5 or 10 mil splash on 2 quarts water and added to the res. Also used it for top water sessions.

Absolutely the reservoir smells disgusting, no it never was allowed to dry out, just kept topping it up

I still think the benefits you are seeing are from the top not bottom, and all the bottom is giving you is the bad smell without much corresponding benefit.

Maybe try a plant next round without the bottom sludge and see how it does.
Ever try a bottomless Swick/Sip where all inputs go in through the top? Its pretty cool but the plants get way too big. 😈 (Gee's a dikk)

my Widow mom 43rd generation clone in a 7g bag swicking up half gallon every other day for two weeks at 12/12

two weeks ago after transplant, She was 20 weeks old in a 1g pot and was no where close to being root bound. 🤔

this is two weeks later

I can't believe it's taken me this long to find your journal when it's right there in your signature! I'm busy growing a couple of Red Russian XXL autos which are White Widow x AK77V (AK47). The last one I grew was intensely sedative. Your WW mother is lovely!

.....Your WW mother is lovely!
thanks Carmen. I have one clone left I promised to someone then I'll have to rely on my friend who's kept the Widow going for 12+ years. I have plenty of her crosses I want to grow so no need to keep a mom right now.

Gee ? Care to elaborate on that ?
Hmm filling the res via the top soil ? Won’t that wash the soil out ?
It was an inside joke with Azi, sorry. We have discussed both top watering and bottom watering at great lengths.

I use drippers so I could probably fill a res from the top without soil getting thru, but if you just water a gallon up top, like just pour it in as fast as it dissipates, I would imagine you would see soil in the res.

I don't use hard pots, so thats just a guess.

I filled my swicks through the top, and had no soil get in the perlite with my cloth pots. Sooner or later you will likely have to address calcium, and I'm organic, so it's most effective when applied from the top.

But mostly I was teasing Azi😉

here is that above posted plant finished up at 9.5 weeks

and the next plant swicking away is Black Jack at 4.5 weeks flowering and just defoled.
vegged 30 days in used Coast of Maine amended with Geoflora V/B , topdress at flip, one tea and two Recharge.

Ok I kinda have the basics down but I'm not 100% sure it's right so any advice would be awesome. I need a low profile swick set up for my mini tent lol Im keeping some mini mother's in there while I wait for my main tent to finish flowering. There's only about 18" of height with the light installed. My plan is to use bonsai pots and take out containers filled with perlite as the reservoir. I also have wicking rope that I can add to the bonsai pots if necessary. I really only need 3-4 days worth of moisture because my work trips don't last longer than that. Any tips or ideas is appreciated thanks.
PXL_20240222_194720445.jpg
PXL_20240222_194853321.jpg
PXL_20240222_194621533.jpg

Ok I kinda have the basics down but I'm not 100% sure it's right so any advice would be awesome. I need a low profile swick set up for my mini tent lol Im keeping some mini mother's in there while I wait for my main tent to finish flowering. There's only about 18" of height with the light installed. My plan is to use bonsai pots and take out containers filled with perlite as the reservoir. I also have wicking rope that I can add to the bonsai pots if necessary. I really only need 3-4 days worth of moisture because my work trips don't last longer than that. Any tips or ideas is appreciated thanks.
Is there enough contact between the perlite and the soil in the pot? Have you tested it to see how long it takes the top to get moist when it's only bottom-watered?

Is there enough contact between the perlite and the soil in the pot? Have you tested it to see how long it takes the top to get moist when it's only bottom-watered?
I haven't tried anything yet lol just a work in progress and I really looking for some advice from the experts lol

Roger that g-one-three

I’ve done it both ways, with and without the perlite bed….. if you’re doing low profile thing you might want to try without perlite or maybe less perlite just don’t put as much water in res pan. Hopefully you’ve got a larger pan or tray so it will catch any res overflow. As first you typically mostly do bottom water / fill the res but when you hit flower you can do top water and overflow happens frequently. Anywho just a thought

Yes as long as you’ve got the extra 40% aeration in your soil mix- think you are cleared for take off…

if this plant was raised as typical wet dry cycle style of growing be advised it may take 10 to 14 days to adapt to its new swick / bottom water environment. Seriously you are gonna love swick and taking water issues out of grow equation. If the pan is low add mo’ water duh!! Even I can manage that one. :laugh:

not an expert but i won’t grow without a swick!

Roger that g-one-three

I’ve done it both ways, with and without the perlite bed….. if you’re doing low profile thing you might want to try without perlite or maybe less perlite just don’t put as much water in res pan.

as long as you’ve got the extra 40% aeration added to your soil mix- think you are cleared for take off…

if this plant was raised as typical wet dry cycle style of growing be advised it may take 10 to 14 days to adapt to its new swick / bottom water environment. Seriously you are gonna love swick and taking water issues out of grow equation. If the pan is low add mo’ water duh!! Even I can manage that one. :laugh:

not an expert but i won’t grow without a swick
So my main tent is running SIP's and I'm using the same soil as I used in them, very airy and tons of perlite. I'm going to use the perlite bed just because the the pots are slightly different sizes and it'll give it something to sit on. If I kinda wiggle it into the perlite I think I'll have enough soil to perlite contact.

Cool, cool, cool, sounds like a plan! One thing I love about swicks is the nothing to build concept, throw a grow bag of sip/swick soil into a larger res tub and get on with it!

imho - don’t be afraid of stank water or leachate, it all works out. I flowered a PPOG 2 clone and after removing grow bag took that nasty black res water with all the nutes and soil leachate over duration of the grow and made her sister the PPOG 1 clone drink the other ones pee applied as top water. yup totally gross but not a hiccup

Hopefully your res will never look that nasty, just wanted to push boundaries to see. Fed heavy like down to earth 5-4-2 with kelp meal, crab meal etc, liquid fish, Leonardite etc right in the res. Anywho, don’t try this at home kiddies! :p

Back
Top Bottom