Visualize Whirrled Peas: A Perpetual Garden By 013

I browsed your journal a bit mate. I have been having more issues with qnats this round myself :( I am always having issues with pests of some sort so I know how you feel. I have been looking into more of a symbolic relationship with other lil friends :D and others I've had better luck getting deterrents to work compared to pesticides and them staying away

Good luck Ill try to keep up with you!

I browsed your journal a bit mate. I have been having more issues with qnats this round myself :( I am always having issues with pests of some sort so I know how you feel. I have been looking into more of a symbolic relationship with other lil friends :D and others I've had better luck getting deterrents to work compared to pesticides and them staying away

Good luck Ill try to keep up with you!

Don’t feel like you need to catch up but if there’s something useful by all means please jump in headfirst!

ahh the old fuckus gnats, they are a miserable lot.

I’ve had success with mosquito bits or mosquito dunks (BTi is active ingredient) added to your water bucket to soak in overnight. Crumble some bits up to use as top dress too… Small fan pushing air across top of soil line, if they can’t land or take off then they can’t lay eggs. 1/4 inch layer of sand on top helps slow them down too. But imho it all starts with yellow sticky traps to monitor what’s flying thru.

beyond that I’m reliably informed a flame thrower works well if and only if… you don’t burn the tent down :p

Don’t feel like you need to catch up but if there’s something useful by all means please jump in headfirst!

ahh the old fuckus gnats, they are a miserable lot.

I’ve had success with mosquito bits or mosquito dunks (BTi is active ingredient) added to your water bucket to soak in overnight. Crumble some bits up to use as top dress too… Small fan pushing air across top of soil line, if they can’t land or take off then they can’t lay eggs. 1/4 inch layer of sand on top helps slow them down too. But imho it all starts with yellow sticky traps to monitor what’s flying thru.

beyond that I’m reliably informed a flame thrower works well if and only if… you don’t burn the tent down :p
I have used one for black widows in the garage, they love hiding in brick. So That is a possibility, Its fast and instant, with a little practice anyone could do it with a small tank. HAHA but NEEM is working for me, as of now. I drench my soil and spray my fabric.
A Question about gnats laying larvae, do they dig in the ground or are they on top of the soil?

Happy New Year 013 to you and all your family (both human and insect)! 🥂
A Question about gnats laying larvae, do they dig in the ground or are they on top of the soil?
Fungus gnat larvae will lay eggs down in the dirt and nosh on the roots if they're hungry. BTi (mosquito bits/dunks) work really well for those. Carcass came up with a great method of using BTi, described here:

It only takes about 1/8 of a dunk to treat 5 gallons of water (or 2 grams of the Bits)
Let the water sit for 24 hours after adding the dunk, so the good bacteria can populate the water, then just water as usual
Just keep re-adding water to the 5 gallon container as you use it-1 treatment is good for 3 weeks or so
Use the treated water every time you water the plants.
It'll take a week or so, but soon, you'll be gnatless!

Use that water to mix your nutes every time.

Chopped the RQS Cheese a few weeks back, didn’t do a photo shoot but stomped out 300 grams of fresh harvest bud into cobs and then later filled 3 quart jars with bud too.

freaking killed the Purple Punch OG but fortunately we had already rooted up a batch of clones before her demise. PPOG clone #1 was flipped Dec 24th and is at 5 weeks of flower, while PPOG # 2 was done 2 weeks later on Dec 8th.

In the tent PPOG clones #3, #4 and #5 all riding along in airpots, also theres 1 small RQS Cheese monster crop clone. The Cheese is strutting the red carpet in a 1 gallon smart pot cloaked with a 4 gallon airpot of soil. Yup didn’t even remove the 1 gallon smart pot, we are gonna see how well it roots right thru the fabric. The tent crew was flipped on Dec 8th.

I’m ready to drop a fresh bean but need these clone runs to finish up first

apologies for bad lights & shitty photos

RQS Cheese in flower room
RQS Cheese after move to tent
RQS Cheese before harvest
PPOG Clone # 1 during lights out
PPOG Clone #1 again
PPOG Clone #2 at lights out, she’s got some light burn / stress on 2 or 3 center colas backed the fixture off, she’s under HPS so I’m sorry for your eyeballz
PPOG Clones #3, #4, #5 and RQS Cheese monster crop on back right

that’s all folks - thanks for your time!

I have used one for black widows in the garage, they love hiding in brick. So That is a possibility, Its fast and instant, with a little practice anyone could do it with a small tank. HAHA but NEEM is working for me, as of now. I drench my soil and spray my fabric.

I‘ve seen them dig in many times and they also work down the gap between the container and your soil mix. Other times I’ve seen them working on bottom end, drip pans with standing water or just sneaking in back door. Think about it in nature they can’t get to roots easily but not so with our containers. Yep standard ops here is to add mosquito bits to soak in water bucket overnight and use them as top dress too.

Happy New Year 013 to you and all your family (both human and insect)! 🥂

Fungus gnat larvae will lay eggs down in the dirt and nosh on the roots if they're hungry. BTi (mosquito bits/dunks) work really well for those. Carcass came up with a great method of using BTi, described here:

It only takes about 1/8 of a dunk to treat 5 gallons of water (or 2 grams of the Bits)
Let the water sit for 24 hours after adding the dunk, so the good bacteria can populate the water, then just water as usual
Just keep re-adding water to the 5 gallon container as you use it-1 treatment is good for 3 weeks or so
Use the treated water every time you water the plants.
It'll take a week or so, but soon, you'll be gnatless!

Use that water to mix your nutes every time.

Hey IntheShed,

Happy New Year to you my green armed friend!!!

Speaking of insects, you should’ve seen the larvae mess I found the other week. Cousins by the dozens I tell ya about the size of human eyelash. Oh yeah sprung into action by nuking them with SNS so fast I forgot about the photo opportunity

I understand you have a bean project in the works, can’t wait to see that happen, I’ll be watching for this one!

Chopped the RQS Cheese a few weeks back, didn’t do a photo shoot but stomped out 300 grams of fresh harvest bud into cobs and then later filled 3 quart jars with bud too.
Congrats on the "we'll take your word for it" harvest! Reads like you should have cobs for months weeks days. :)

:welldone:
fortunately we had already rooted up a batch of clones before her demise. PPOG clone #1 was flipped Dec 24th and is at 5 weeks of flower, while PPOG # 2 was done 2 weeks later on Dec 8th.
Good thing you got those rooted before you killed the mother. :rip:
In the tent PPOG clones #3, #4 and #5 all riding along in airpots, also theres 1 small RQS Cheese monster crop clone. The Cheese is strutting the red carpet in a 1 gallon smart pot cloaked with a 4 gallon airpot of soil. Yup didn’t even remove the 1 gallon smart pot, we are gonna see how well it roots right thru the fabric. The tent crew was flipped on Dec 8th.
Plants look a bit droopy, but the flowers are starting to bulk up so that's good!
Hey IntheShed,
Happy New Year to you my green armed friend!!!
Speaking of insects, you should’ve seen the larvae mess I found the other week. Cousins by the dozens I tell ya about the size of human eyelash. Oh yeah I sprung into action by nuking them with SNS
Thanks 013, and :thanks: for not posting those pics.

Looking good 013! Good to see your journal.active again as well. Hope all is well and the New Year is heading in the right direction

Hey THG my man, whats happening? Thanks for stopping by, please drop in anytime!!! I’m gonna head over to yours soon my friend.

been doing this crazy seasonal work/travel/caregiver thing past couple decades during spring, summer and fall then return home (mostly) for winter.

I’ve been growing all along thanks to swicks self watering capabilities, just wasn’t able to journal much at all with time constraints. Hopefully I’m filling jars faster than using them up, at least that’s the goal.... :cool:

I‘ll be dropping by soon dude, can’t wait. Happy New Year to you too…

double bagger and air pruning….

Here’s a swick grown Purple Punch OG #2 clone, she was upcanned to a 2 gallon grow bag that was later upcanned into a 7 gallon bag. That’s right, it’s a bag in a bag or double bagger, finally ready for harvest.

This should end the debate over air pruning in fabric pots, it’s actually more light pruning than anything. So when it’s dark and moist, roots grow right thru the sides. Heres what she looks like with the 7 gallon outer bag removed.

A few weeks back
Can’t hold her nugs up
See inner bag edges
Meaty paws
Chunky monkey
Roots
More roots
Candidate for triple bagger experiment? Half gallon sitting in a 2 gallon
Roots on another smart pot when light is blocked

NICE ! :D I love the root shots. I can't wait to remove the soil from my SIP. Its gotta be crazy in that container :) Ill make sure I bring you some photos of loveliness to admire. :D

Congrats on the harvest 13, and it looks like it came through pest free!

This should end the debate over air pruning in fabric pots, it’s actually more light pruning than anything. So when it’s dark and moist, roots grow right thru the sides. Heres what she looks like with the 7 gallon outer bag removed.
Putting a cloth bag in another pot is an existing method of up canning, especially for folks askeered of pulling the original bag off. But if it's dark and moist that wouldn't be air pruning anyway would it?

One way to test that would be to grow a plant where the air circulates around the pot as usual but only gets light from the soil up.

Thanks She’d!!

I ain’t skeerd I’m just lazy!! :laugh: They are a pain to get off, I’ve tried the columnar shuck approach but I top dress tons and tie the plants down so they are beyond packed tight

on this one ran a fan under the hood… just light blocked

Ah crap Mr. ITS, seems autocorrect added an apostrophe!

Oh yes sir, I’m sure many have done bag in a bag before, that’s no biggie. Absolutely I need to replicate it a few times.

For now theory is- its gotta be moist and it’s gotta be dark but roots love air. Thats one of those landscape fabrics with tiny perforations. Ran a pair of 4 inch usb mini fans alternated between both pointed at outside perimeter of swick tub or 1 pointed at side & 1 under the hood.

that’s the other part Shed,

typically air exposure means light comes along for the ride anyway, so let’s try the air thing but take away light. IDK, but we will see more on this next run hopefully. Kinda thinking air roots is not a thing for our crop until you game the system somehow maybe air roots no but yes on dark air roots? Any exposed weed root is going to bark over or recede, obviosly the ones poking out bottom side are hugely protected from rays

this next one is whack in every way, a dirty grow literally. Starts with reusing a just-used grow bag without nuking, dirty swick res tub with existing ring around the collar and dirty perlite bed raked over to brake up semi-glued chunks stuck together from heavy amendments.

It’s been a minute, time to come up for air and proof of life. Heres the dirty girl, this is PPOG #6 clone she was upcanned to a 7 gallon dirty grow bag that’s riding in a dirty SWICK tub. That’s right we’re throwing rocks at grow room cleanliness and sterilization just for giggles on this one, it’s not like soil mites are gonna catch cooties…

Gave her flat top (backbuilding) last week, not much color on stigmas to contrast against those dark fan leaves. Still has plenty o’ steam left but finally showing some yellow edges now.

This is another triple bagger and even with minor light blocking via cheapie garbage bags, her roots have not penetrated the 3rd grow bag.

She was monster cropped and kept to 7 limbs, there’s 6 chunky colas encircling a smaller center cola. No topping just strapped down with lst, hardly any trunk visible she’s got that low rider thang going on. This pheno is frosty but not the stickiest plant to pass this way, but expect her trichs will wash off just fine in 190 grain.

She’s got another week or three then may finish her up with a twist over in flavor journal. Didn’t have wine bottle for scale but an empty FF nute bottle was handy.

thanks for looking - we will be right back after station identification

Back
Top Bottom