I was outside grilling dinner yesterday, and noticed the early evening sun still hitting my plants, so I had to take a quick picture to share. :)

I was planning to flip to Flower this weekend; but after doing a defol on the girls today.... I think I'll wait till next weekend. I started counting the days from sprout (6-21-23) till today (7-14-23) & that's only 23 days of Veg time.
I'm thinking 30 days of Veg & then flower so next weekend for the flip.
Here's some pics of where they are so far.
28.JPG
29.JPG
30.JPG
31.JPG
32.JPG

I've been growing for about 2 years now, and I think I'm going to give the SIP a shot.
I've looked into several different DIY setups and I have a question.
When putting the holes in the bottom, what would be the best placement. In opposite corners, at each end or in the center?
I only have one shot at this so I want to do it right.
Thank you for your advice and support for a newbie, much love and appreciation 💚

IMG_20230714_155742.jpg

IMG_20230714_155752.jpg

IMG_20230714_155812.jpg

I've been growing for about 2 years now, and I think I'm going to give the SIP a shot.
I've looked into several different DIY setups and I have a question.
When putting the holes in the bottom, what would be the best placement. In opposite corners, at each end or in the center?
I only have one shot at this so I want to do it right.
Thank you for your advice and support for a newbie, much love and appreciation 💚

IMG_20230714_155742.jpg

IMG_20230714_155752.jpg

IMG_20230714_155812.jpg
I think Earthbox has the setup from your first pic there. It's probably what I would do.

New wool soil arrived now I need that advice lol

the water seems to sit heavy in the soil top Cm is dry rest is wet if I flip it like in the pic the water transfers to the new base ,

seems to hold the water very well won’t let any out but won’t take more whatever water I put in will come out the bottom if I put that on top it comes back out
so the balance this likes is very wet

would the perlite addition be needed to stop it becoming saturated permenwntly ?
This is a pot noodle cup tester
as ya can see it’s quite wet and stays that way lol
the soil man said not to add perlite and to just water small amounts as needed

B747409C-CA85-410C-887F-14B13E5A9EC1.jpeg

8466D72F-FF77-407D-AAD5-9336155F2092.jpeg

Yeah, that soil looks way too wet. Your soil guy sounds like he's a wet/dry cycle guy so letting it dry out between waterings would probably require less aeration than growing in a SIP.

I would add perlite to lighten it up.

I've been following along and would like to drop in Officially !

FYI > This thread is an Excellent resource for those of us late bloomers just starting to try SIP's ;)

Hay, I've been busy for the last half year :yahoo:

I will be starting a journal for this Auto grow with three SIP's And a Hempy bucket !

Grow times estimated at less than half the time as my last grow o_O

Summer auto grow 2023 table.JPG

Sticking with my old tried and true ProMix HP for the SIP's, one with the perlite increased to 50%.

Can't remember who recommended this at the moment but you Know who you are. Thanks 👍

The Hempy bucket has a 3" thick circle of styro in the bottom to reduce the amount of medium to roughly what is in the SIP's.

Feed for the SIP's will be MC one part, MaxiGro/Bloom for the Hempy..

Solo cups have a single drain hole one inch up from the bottom.

All set and waiting on seeds, sigh... Hoping to see them before next weekend, fingers crossed !

Set up 15 July 23.jpg

Cheers, eh ?

I've been following along and would like to drop in Officially !

FYI > This thread is an Excellent resource for those of us late bloomers just starting to try SIP's ;)

Hay, I've been busy for the last half year :yahoo:

I will be starting a journal for this Auto grow with three SIP's And a Hempy bucket !

Grow times estimated at less than half the time as my last grow o_O

Summer auto grow 2023 table.JPG

Sticking with my old tried and true ProMix HP for the SIP's, one with the perlite increased to 50%.

Can't remember who recommended this at the moment but you Know who you are. Thanks 👍

The Hempy bucket has a 3" thick circle of styro in the bottom to reduce the amount of medium to roughly what is in the SIP's.

Feed for the SIP's will be MC one part, MaxiGro/Bloom for the Hempy..

Solo cups have a single drain hole one inch up from the bottom.

All set and waiting on seeds, sigh... Hoping to see them before next weekend, fingers crossed !

Set up 15 July 23.jpg

Cheers, eh ?
I'm just starting to get everything ready for my SIP project. I have approximately 10/12 weeks and I'll clean out the tent and try my hand at it.
Good luck my friend I'm looking forward to seeing your Progress.

EDIT: I try to underline direct questions and requests for assistance on my posts to make it easier for anyone willing to help. Had forgotten to do so.

I've always suspected, or at least wondered, whether the 'Entourage Effect' has a great deal to do with my inference of each plant and strain's 'kick'. I've had some very plain-looking, moderately rated cultivars come along and properly light me up now and then if my memory serves. Maybe it was the moment, maybe it was some sacred combo of terps and other treasures within. I cannot say. What I am is stoked you've found a real thoroughbred and hope she gives you many generations of wonderous, glistening jars. You deserve her.

My hope is that your experience, as is my hope for everyone's participation, will help reveal and develop best practices for growing in these SIPs, but also to further verify the major differences in growth we're observing. I've had too long a time off between growing by 'traditional methods' and now, picking up years later, I went straight to DIY SIPs. (though I did build out a DWC setup, but it is still to see a harvest) After spending considerable time doing some fascinating research on these SIP methods, including hours and hours of direct interviews with exp. users from all of the weed-grow forums, my curiosity was piqued and I dove right in. However, due to the time gap between using each method, I doubt I may make accurate comparisons beyond the basics.

It is clear we can either shorten veg times with this tech, increase harvests, or potentially even both. Costs too can be profitably impacted with SIPs as the apparent 'waste' of water and feed seem to disappear completely. It appears to be an extremely environmentally responsible method as a result, a method in which, if you care to use synthetic fertigation in the reservoir as I do, uses them extremely efficiently and responsibly. The sum total use of my base fertilizer, MC 2 part fertilizer (part A and B totals combined), I project I will have used to bring 4 plants from seedling to harvest will be well under 500 grams, and all in 100 days. Autos will be likely capable of reducing both figures by 10-30%, though with a commensurate reduction in yield. Nonetheless, SIPs appear Ideal for Autos as the size they can achieve in Veg dictates harvest potential, and growing monsters quickly in Veg is the SIP superpower. I'll have accurate feed and water totals of my grow available to share at harvest in a month or so, "Lord willin' and the creek don' rise".

Aaarg! I just split one of the Mother GG4s that was about to go into The Burn Unit to flower-out. So, I'm unsure how to move forward; could use a little advice. Tie her up to close the wound and transplant same day, or tie her - it's a split at base between major branches - and give her some time to convalesce, thus taking her out of the potential plants for this run. My intent is to flower in SIPs some already matured plants grown in normal containers as members of the genetic harem of mother plants I've kept.

To explain; After recently receiving my extended license (for personal medical use) to grow more than the legally allotted four plants, I decided to begin a cloning program.
0492BC00-CFB5-46BD-A02B-BAC0D4D11F28.jpeg

I planted out some seeds of a few strains on hand so as to have diversity for my harem. So, instead of waiting until I found the perfect plants, I figured a lot of practice and systems development was in order so I just planted out the unknown commodities in my possession simply to move the game forward.

I'm some weeks down that path now; I've two GG4s, vegged out to decent if compact size from my pruning, sitting in regular 2-3 gallon pots. I've been practising my cloning with these plants, trying to develop a reliable system using their constantly forthcoming new shoots and now, having banked their genetics, I decided it's time to grow out these matrons and move on.

I have also developed a SIP system specific to my Mother plants.
B1C5AC60-D304-436C-AF26-B220E6CD76C4.jpeg
I have severe vertigo and some days it’s not safe for me to climb the attic ladder needed to attend my Moms. As a result, something that would have enough water in board to preclude daily fertigation/irrigation was needed.
B9E1AFED-A75A-4AE0-9E5F-6D9D79006C04.jpeg
The pot-size chosen is quite small purposefully, as I utilize standard root
8BEA0CD9-B522-4551-AC3D-58D897BECD5D.jpeg
pruning techniques to manage plant size. It’s very simple as you can see and the height penalty is less than 10 inches. construction is simplicity itself.
Right now my Mother-Harem consists of two GG4s, three Zkittlez, each a distinct pheno, two God's Gift, two Banana Sundae, two Master Kush and a single plant of unknown heritage but that I believe to be Cherry 🍒 Blossom, oh and three mystery sativas of interesting provenance. Details to come.

EDIT: I try to underline direct questions and requests for assistance on my posts to make it easier for anyone willing to help. Had forgotten to do so.

I've always suspected, or at least wondered, whether the 'Entourage Effect' has a great deal to do with my inference of each plant and strain's 'kick'. I've had some very plain-looking, moderately rated cultivars come along and properly light me up now and then if my memory serves. Maybe it was the moment, maybe it was some sacred combo of terps and other treasures within. I cannot say. What I am is stoked you've found a real thoroughbred and hope she gives you many generations of wonderous, glistening jars. You deserve her.

My hope is that your experience, as is my hope for everyone's participation, will help reveal and develop best practices for growing in these SIPs, but also to further verify the major differences in growth we're observing. I've had too long a time off between growing by 'traditional methods' and now, picking up years later, I went straight to DIY SIPs. (though I did build out a DWC setup, but it is still to see a harvest) After spending considerable time doing some fascinating research on these SIP methods, including hours and hours of direct interviews with exp. users from all of the weed-grow forums, my curiosity was piqued and I dove right in. However, due to the time gap between using each method, I doubt I may make accurate comparisons beyond the basics.

It is clear we can either shorten veg times with this tech, increase harvests, or potentially even both. Costs too can be profitably impacted with SIPs as the apparent 'waste' of water and feed seem to disappear completely. It appears to be an extremely environmentally responsible method as a result, a method in which, if you care to use synthetic fertigation in the reservoir as I do, uses them extremely efficiently and responsibly. The sum total use of my base fertilizer, MC 2 part fertilizer (part A and B totals combined), I project I will have used to bring 4 plants from seedling to harvest will be well under 500 grams, and all in 100 days. Autos will be likely capable of reducing both figures by 10-30%, though with a commensurate reduction in yield. Nonetheless, SIPs appear Ideal for Autos as the size they can achieve in Veg dictates harvest potential, and growing monsters quickly in Veg is the SIP superpower. I'll have accurate feed and water totals of my grow available to share at harvest in a month or so, "Lord willin' and the creek don' rise".

Aaarg! I just split one of the Mother GG4s that was about to go into The Burn Unit to flower-out. So, I'm unsure how to move forward; could use a little advice. Tie her up to close the wound and transplant same day, or tie her - it's a split at base between major branches - and give her some time to convalesce, thus taking her out of the potential plants for this run. My intent is to flower in SIPs some already matured plants grown in normal containers as members of the genetic harem of mother plants I've kept.

To explain; After recently receiving my extended license (for personal medical use) to grow more than the legally allotted four plants, I decided to begin a cloning program.
0492BC00-CFB5-46BD-A02B-BAC0D4D11F28.jpeg

I planted out some seeds of a few strains on hand so as to have diversity for my harem. So, instead of waiting until I found the perfect plants, I figured a lot of practice and systems development was in order so I just planted out the unknown commodities in my possession simply to move the game forward.

I'm some weeks down that path now; I've two GG4s, vegged out to decent if compact size from my pruning, sitting in regular 2-3 gallon pots. I've been practising my cloning with these plants, trying to develop a reliable system using their constantly forthcoming new shoots and now, having banked their genetics, I decided it's time to grow out these matrons and move on.

I have also developed a SIP system specific to my Mother plants.
B1C5AC60-D304-436C-AF26-B220E6CD76C4.jpeg
I have severe vertigo and some days it’s not safe for me to climb the attic ladder needed to attend my Moms. As a result, something that would have enough water in board to preclude daily fertigation/irrigation was needed.
B9E1AFED-A75A-4AE0-9E5F-6D9D79006C04.jpeg
The pot-size chosen is quite small purposefully, as I utilize standard root
8BEA0CD9-B522-4551-AC3D-58D897BECD5D.jpeg
pruning techniques to manage plant size. It’s very simple as you can see and the height penalty is less than 10 inches. construction is simplicity itself.
Right now my Mother-Harem consists of two GG4s, three Zkittlez, each a distinct pheno, two God's Gift, two Banana Sundae, two Master Kush and a single plant of unknown heritage but that I believe to be Cherry 🍒 Blossom, oh and three mystery sativas of interesting provenance. Details to come.
Nice grow:thumb:

:passitleft:
Is that a CO2 bottle in top picture?

If a plant in flower keeps yellowing leaves even though fed what would one assume ?
That she's not fed enough?
Might need a little P&K added to her feed- it kept the yellow away on my last grow...

If they are lower leaves it might just be that the plant is growing so fast that it's stripping the lower leaves for N resources.
Yeah all leaves are like in /on the scrog screen that yellow off
the 8inch above is green

somany sip diary’s orange I follow soma to new ones coming up lol it’s awesome I am interested in the Mc one part as I will be doing that as comparison to my winner in new soil
il pull up a seat

Ok im going to give SIP's ago for the seedlings and mother plant, i went hunting around the shops and found a good fitting clear cup that sits nicely inside the red cup leaving a 12mm gap at bottom and 5mm gap around the side of the cup for 50mm from the bottom.
Also got hold of 14 20ltr black buckets for 4 bucks each to make larger SIP pots I've had a read through this post thanks @Azimuth and everyone else involved 👍 I've also checked a few different tube videos and think I have a design in mind ,I will take a couple of pictures to add to the conversation when I start making them tomorrow.
Happy growing peoples
:thumb::yummy:

Welcome to The Club, @Absorber !

Any questions as you go through build, fire away. I'd love to see what little cups you're using inside the Solo's as I've not found anything suitable so I use large perlite or hydroton in a section at the bottom of the cup around the overflow hole.

Back
Top Bottom