My First Journal, Kanno 26: I Will Grow 6 Critical Plants From Royal Queen Seeds

i don't normally dome seedlings. seedlings generally like it a touch dry. it's clones i dome up to get increased humidity. domed seedlings have an increased chance of dampening off.

Hi, I don't really understand what you're trying to tell me? I have them that are seeds.

i wouldn't dome the seedlings.
if i took cuttings for clones those would get domed.

once the seedlings get going they like it drier than a clone would. the increased humidity under a dome can lead to dampening off of the seedling. the stem shrivels at ground level and they die. just make sure it doesn't get too wet if you leave them under the dome.

i wouldn't dome the seedlings.
if i took cuttings for clones those would get domed.

once the seedlings get going they like it drier than a clone would. the increased humidity under a dome can lead to dampening off of the seedling. the stem shrivels at ground level and they die. just make sure it doesn't get too wet if you leave them under the dome.
I already understand thanks for the explanation, Under the dome the humidity is about 40% do you think it's too much?

I already understand thanks for the explanation, Under the dome the humidity is about 40% do you think it's too much?

just keep an eye on them. 40% is not too bad but it can rise quick under there. i rarely ever use a dome with seedlings. once they get their first set of true leaves i let them harden up. i give them a little wind when the second set gets established.

just keep an eye on them. 40% is not too bad but it can rise quick under there. i rarely ever use a dome with seedlings. once they get their first set of true leaves i let them harden up. i give them a little wind when the second set gets established.
I'm with bluter. Take the dome off. And, if for some reason you can't bear to do it, take half of them out and set them next to the dome so you can see for yourself. That way you won't lose the whole crop to learn the lesson.

Gotcha Kanno, I'm in! Nice tent, very clean. Got the girls going. Like Emilya said I will second, my experiences with RQS seeds has always been positive! Great start on your first journal! Welcome to the party!!

Pretty stoked to see your grow.

Generally, I dome my seedlings (cut holes in the top of my dome(s) ), and air them two plus times a day. This retains water and keeps me from drowning them with water.

Next time will leave the domes off once they get permanent leaves.

Pretty stoked to see your grow.

Generally, I dome my seedlings (cut holes in the top of my dome(s) ), and air them two plus times a day. This retains water and keeps me from drowning them with water.

Next time will leave the domes off once they get permanent leaves.
Thanks for the insight, I have air vents there, so I'll see how long I'll leave it there, but I also ventilate about twice a day.

My perspective on this dome thing is that seedlings are very resilient and don't really need a dome. As soon as a seedling pops above the soil it evaluates the situation and does what it needs to survive. A plant in a dome ends up being a weakling, and it is so weak that simply lifting off the dome will kill it, you have to acclimate it slowly (hardening) so that it can survive in the real world. A dome is one of those things that sounds nice, but actually is harmful to the young plant. If you really feel the need to give the plant some extra moisture, try a mister sprayer a couple of times a day, but be on the lookout for mold and mildew and stem rot. Bottom line, they don't need all of this... they benefit much more from establishing a good wet/dry cycle as early as you can.

My perspective on this dome thing is that seedlings are very resilient and don't really need a dome. As soon as a seedling pops above the soil it evaluates the situation and does what it needs to survive. A plant in a dome ends up being a weakling, and it is so weak that simply lifting off the dome will kill it, you have to acclimate it slowly (hardening) so that it can survive in the real world. A dome is one of those things that sounds nice, but actually is harmful to the young plant. If you really feel the need to give the plant some extra moisture, try a mister sprayer a couple of times a day, but be on the lookout for mold and mildew and stem rot. Bottom line, they don't need all of this... they benefit much more from establishing a good wet/dry cycle as early as you can.
Thanks @Emilya, you are the third person who likes to take it off and give it to your advice, and that's exactly why I set up a diary to have enough opinions. And I'll keep the wet dry, but is that true before I get into bloom?

Thanks @Emilya, you are the third person who likes to take it off and give it to your advice, and that's exactly why I set up a diary to have enough opinions. And I'll keep the wet dry, but is that true before I get into bloom?
in my humble opinion, using my wet/dry methods of watering is the ONLY way to grow superior roots, thereby superior plants. You have to make your weed work to find the water, or it will simply be lazy and not try to fill your container with new roots. Before bloom is exactly the time to do this... veg is when you build roots and bloom is where you use those roots to build buds.

Update 2
Hello everyone, so far it looks like instead of six critical plants I will grow five plants. It's a fact that I got one seed for free, but it doesn't have to have any effect on that either.:rollit:

IMG_20220202_102906.jpg

Hi @Kanno26, good morning. Girls look just fine. Glad you lost the humidity dome. I tend to agree in principle with what Emilya said. The seedlings are going to grow no matter what. If you feed them they'll stay healthy and be fine. The environment can range from 60-85 degrees and from 35-70% humidity, and no matter where you are in either of those numbers, within reason, and your seedlings will grow just fine. I know because I sprouted all my seedlings for the outside plants actually outside. So at night those seedlings I had, this applied to maybe 10 of the 19 plants, got as cold as 55 degrees a couple times. And as hot as 85 LOTS of times. The humidity outdoors ranged from around 45% to as high as almost 80% a few times. You see my point? In nature, seedlings pop in all latitudes, all climates, and all environments. The plants adapt, that's what they do. In my humble opinion, people worry WAY too much about the environment for their seedlings. Would you like it at 65-70% Rh and 75-80 degrees for seedlings? Sure you would. But don't stress it if you can't achieve the precise environment you want for seedlings. Again, in my humble opinion, the environment around your plant makes a MUCH more important difference in veg and flower.

Just my two cents on that interesting discussion your post spawned. I love that about doing journals. You learn a ton from those kinds of conversations in my experience.

Keep it up Kanno, you're doing really well.

Hi @Kanno26, good morning. Girls look just fine. Glad you lost the humidity dome. I tend to agree in principle with what Emilya said. The seedlings are going to grow no matter what. If you feed them they'll stay healthy and be fine. The environment can range from 60-85 degrees and from 35-70% humidity, and no matter where you are in either of those numbers, within reason, and your seedlings will grow just fine. I know because I sprouted all my seedlings for the outside plants actually outside. So at night those seedlings I had, this applied to maybe 10 of the 19 plants, got as cold as 55 degrees a couple times. And as hot as 85 LOTS of times. The humidity outdoors ranged from around 45% to as high as almost 80% a few times. You see my point? In nature, seedlings pop in all latitudes, all climates, and all environments. The plants adapt, that's what they do. In my humble opinion, people worry WAY too much about the environment for their seedlings. Would you like it at 65-70% Rh and 75-80 degrees for seedlings? Sure you would. But don't stress it if you can't achieve the precise environment you want for seedlings. Again, in my humble opinion, the environment around your plant makes a MUCH more important difference in veg and flower.

Just my two cents on that interesting discussion your post spawned. I love that about doing journals. You learn a ton from those kinds of conversations in my experience.

Keep it up Kanno, you're doing really well.
Good morning @Jon, thank you for your two cents. That's exactly why I finally decided to start a diary. I've always used a dome in previous rusts, and when they got to the point where I had to take down the dome, the leaves started to twist terribly and I couldn't figure out why it was happening to me, now I'm starting to think that most of it was the dome.

Good morning @Jon, thank you for your two cents. That's exactly why I finally decided to start a diary. I've always used a dome in previous rusts, and when they got to the point where I had to take down the dome, the leaves started to twist terribly and I couldn't figure out why it was happening to me, now I'm starting to think that most of it was the dome.
I believe you may be correct about that. Thing about those domes is that its very difficult to truly control the environment inside them, whereas that's exactly why you spent all that coin on a tent, and a fan, and a filter, and all that stuff - so you can totally control the environment. Use the technology you have, not the dome, right?

You have the perfect attitude my man. Learn your ass off and check your ego at the door. That's the best way I think.

Back
Top Bottom