My First Journal, Kanno 26: I Will Grow 6 Critical Plants From Royal Queen Seeds

Hello everyone, so only a small update is still only five out there but they are doing well. Today I poured clean water only with the adjusted pH to 6.2. So maybe they will benefit from them and I'll let them dry out, as @Emilya advised me to start fertilizing, so I'll see you in a week. Everyone laughs.

IMG_20220203_103700.jpg
Nice Kanno! Any way you can get that RH up into the 60s at least? Seedlings like it wetter than 40% if you can. They'll be alright, just saying. They all look good! And @Emilya is right, start their nutes! So far so good buddy, nice job.

Nice Kanno! Any way you can get that RH up into the 60s at least? Seedlings like it wetter than 40% if you can. They'll be alright, just saying. They all look good! And @Emilya is right, start their nutes! So far so good buddy, nice job.
Hi @Jon, thanks I can try to turn on the humidifier and I think I can get 60%, I'll try it and see what it does

Hi Kanno.
Seedlings looking good!

You were asking for couple tips. And thought I’ll throw in my two cents.
First of all ditch the domes. RH between bigger scale of 35-70% is enough.
It’s just a casual thing to give the seedlings higher humidity levels - so they don’t have to transpire that much yet as they growing the roots mostly for the first 10-14 days.

Also I’d lower the light for a bit to avoid the main stalk stretch. Right now they’re reaching towards the light. They might tip over in few days if they keep stretching.

I’d start feeding nutes after the first three-fingered leaves has fully formed and the first real leaves are bout to open. (Thats when plant turns into full veg mode)

- Verb

Hi Kanno.
Seedlings looking good!

You were asking for couple tips. And thought I’ll throw in my two cents.
First of all ditch the domes. RH between bigger scale of 35-70% is enough.
It’s just a casual thing to give the seedlings higher humidity levels - so they don’t have to transpire that much yet as they growing the roots mostly for the first 10-14 days.

Also I’d lower the light for a bit to avoid the main stalk stretch. Right now they’re reaching towards the light. They might tip over in few days if they keep stretching.

I’d start feeding nutes after the first three-fingered leaves has fully formed and the first real leaves are bout to open. (Thats when plant turns into full veg mode)

- Verb
Hi @Verbalist, thanks for the insight I have a light of 25% is not enough if I add to 50% or is it better to put the light lower?

Hi @Kanno26 - glad you got the Rh up a little. I'd like to echo two things @Verbalist said that I 1000% agree with.

1. Like I told you, if you can't get it up they'd be okay. He is right about why we prefer it a bit higher, but they'll grow anywhere in the range he listed.
2. This is WAY more important: he's also correct about the extent of your stretch. Pump that light up. They only stretch like that if they want more. I'd be at around 400 ppfd at this point if it were me. Worry not, cuz that extra stem you have already is easily fixable. For now get them to stop stretching vertically.

Question: do you have just a *little* air moving them just a *little?* I'm talking a jiggle, not even a light breeze. The plants are never too young to begin to do what they naturally do to strengthen their stems against wind. I would be making sure you have them jiggling if you can, just me, but I think many do this. I always have.

Question: Are you using or going to use any kind of silicon product or better yet MSA? This drastically aids nutrient uptake and stem strengthening. I swear by the stuff as I know many do. You may want to consider such a product if not.

So far your stretch is not causing any major problems, just stop that and you're good! And it's so easy!

Hi @Kanno26 - glad you got the Rh up a little. I'd like to echo two things @Verbalist said that I 1000% agree with.

1. Like I told you, if you can't get it up they'd be okay. He is right about why we prefer it a bit higher, but they'll grow anywhere in the range he listed.
2. This is WAY more important: he's also correct about the extent of your stretch. Pump that light up. They only stretch like that if they want more. I'd be at around 400 ppfd at this point if it were me. Worry not, cuz that extra stem you have already is easily fixable. For now get them to stop stretching vertically.

Question: do you have just a *little* air moving them just a *little?* I'm talking a jiggle, not even a light breeze. The plants are never too young to begin to do what they naturally do to strengthen their stems against wind. I would be making sure you have them jiggling if you can, just me, but I think many do this. I always have.

Question: Are you using or going to use any kind of silicon product or better yet MSA? This drastically aids nutrient uptake and stem strengthening. I swear by the stuff as I know many do. You may want to consider such a product if not.

So far your stretch is not causing any major problems, just stop that and you're good! And it's so easy!
Hi @Jon, thanks for the feedback. Should I bring the light closer or should I turn it at 50%, otherwise they will soon start using the root stimulator for your question and I have the oscillating fan on otherwise I don't know what MSA means?

Hi @Jon, thanks for the feedback. Should I bring the light closer or should I turn it at 50%, otherwise they will soon start using the root stimulator for your question and I have the oscillating fan on otherwise I don't know what MSA means?
Everyone does it their own way. If you don't have an app to measure your light, you may want to download one. The one I use is Phototone, and it works great. $5 total cost to unlock full spectrum LED is all you need. Then you can measure MUCH more accurately rather than guessing. I have no experience with your Zeus, so I can't really answer the 50% question. That's why I suggested the app, so you can dial it in any time you want. Guessing is for cocky rookies and people who have forgotten more about growing that you and I know. Get an app. :rofl:

That said (hopefully humorously), generally there are several schools of thought on your question. I personally always run my light at 100% from day one. I make adjustments by changing the height instead. Some like to start low and gradually bring it up, as you are, with less power. The end result is the same in a perfect world you would think. I personally believe that maxing out the power gives the plants more of what they want even at a distance than lower power closer to them does. But that's just me. You'll get several answers I suspect.

MSA is mono-silicic acid. I use GrowGenius 40% stuff. I've seen others on here who use something even stronger, like mid 40s% but can't recall the name of it. I would personally stay away from any of the non-MSA silicon products, as the form the silicon is in in those is not immediately available to the plants, as MSA in high concentrations is. It has tons of benefits but I listed the two that matter most to me. There are many of these, so look around and ask a few questions, cuz in my experience there's more garbage than truly useful products in this realm out there. Again, just my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Everyone does it their own way. If you don't have an app to measure your light, you may want to download one. The one I use is Phototone, and it works great. $5 total cost to unlock full spectrum LED is all you need. Then you can measure MUCH more accurately rather than guessing. I have no experience with your Zeus, so I can't really answer the 50% question. That's why I suggested the app, so you can dial it in any time you want. Guessing is for cocky rookies and people who have forgotten more about growing that you and I know. Get an app. :rofl:

That said (hopefully humorously), generally there are several schools of thought on your question. I personally always run my light at 100% from day one. I make adjustments by changing the height instead. Some like to start low and gradually bring it up, as you are, with less power. The end result is the same in a perfect world you would think. I personally believe that maxing out the power gives the plants more of what they want even at a distance than lower power closer to them does. But that's just me. You'll get several answers I suspect.

MSA is mono-silicic acid. I use GrowGenius 40% stuff. I've seen others on here who use something even stronger, like mid 40s% but can't recall the name of it. I would personally stay away from any of the non-MSA silicon products, as the form the silicon is in in those is not immediately available to the plants, as MSA in high concentrations is. It has tons of benefits but I listed the two that matter most to me. There are many of these, so look around and ask a few questions, cuz in my experience there's more garbage than truly useful products in this realm out there. Again, just my opinion.

Hope that helps.
I let go 100% so it's 200W and it comes to me a lot on such a small plant but I have an application so I'll try to measure it and see what it shows me but otherwise thanks to @Jon.

2. This is WAY more important: he's also correct about the extent of your stretch. Pump that light up. They only stretch like that if they want more. I'd be at around 400 ppfd at this point if it were me.
This. If you’ve a lux meter then you could aim for 300-500ppfd at that point. Otherwise dim up the lamp, or lower the lamp height.

I’m more into that ”old skool” way - I’d lower the lamp more close to the seedlings.
18-25" are the most common distances. 20 inches above and dimmed to ~50% could make a big difference.

This. If you’ve a lux meter then you could aim for 300-500ppfd at that point. Otherwise dim up the lamp, or lower the lamp height.

I’m more into that ”old skool” way - I’d lower the lamp more close to the seedlings.
18-25" are the most common distances. 20 inches above and dimmed to ~50% could make a big difference.
I love it. Two schools of thought that both accomplish the same goal if done properly. Would you happen to know if there's any good science floating around on here about this?

Hi fellow growers, I wish you all a nice Sunday and I hope that your gardens are doing well. Everything goes according to plan, I have 25 degrees Celsius and RH 60%, which I think is ideal. Otherwise, the first true leaves have started to develop and I let them dry for now. According to you I like to put the light lower and I'm around 520 ppfd photo below. Thanks for the insight.

IMG_20220206_164821.jpg

IMG_20220206_164736.jpg

IMG_20220206_164728.jpg

Hi fellow growers, I wish you all a nice Sunday and I hope that your gardens are doing well. Everything goes according to plan, I have 25 degrees Celsius and RH 60%, which I think is ideal. Otherwise, the first true leaves have started to develop and I let them dry for now. According to you I like to put the light lower and I'm around 520 ppfd photo below. Thanks for the insight.

IMG_20220206_164821.jpg

IMG_20220206_164736.jpg

IMG_20220206_164728.jpg
Looks great @Kanno26. You can already see them praying like they should. Good job.

It doesn't matter for you much right now since the plants are so little, but I like to have my temp/humidity gage at leaf height. I hang mine so it's easily adjustable.
This. :thumb:

Thanks, I just plan to have nothing to hang him for.
You can use the inside rim/ridge of one of the upper round ports, and hang from there. That's what I did in the 3x3. I hung it with twist ties twisted together. As the plant grows upwards all I do is twist the line and the gauge rises with the plant. Always maintained at the highest point on the canopy.

You can use the inside rim/ridge of one of the upper round ports, and hang from there. That's what I did in the 3x3. I hung it with twist ties twisted together. As the plant grows upwards all I do is twist the line and the gauge rises with the plant. Always maintained at the highest point on the canopy.
I would like to put it on the light and measure 40 cm from the light to the plants and as they grow, I will lift it with the light at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom