Social Security Blues

My boyfriends mom has tried to get Social Security twice now, both times she has been denied. I dont think its fair, she has a lot of health problems and she shouldnt be working. what is with that shit? if someone really needs it why do they deny them?

Personally, I think it's the retro-payout you get at the beginning. It can be significant. I have been disabled since Oct 4 2004, so they will have to pay me back to then. I think it's about 20k.

They told me I could work, so I tried it. I made it 1/2 a day and just could'nt make it.

Thank you all for your words of encourage and all the knowledge you've provided. I really appreciate it!

Peace and happiness

Pinch, do you know a lawyer? I thought I had some help, but it's seems that I was wrong.

I would like to update all of you who have taken the time to read and respond to this thread.

You already know my situation, and my issues with Social Security. I have taken everyone's advice and encouragement as a way to keep me motivated to fight for what is mine.

We, they have won. I give up. My choice will be to live in my car until they decide if I am disabled or not. It's just not something I am able to continue to do. They beat me down, and it ticks me off.

They said I could work two hours a day in a field I worked ten years ago. Well, I did just that. I work two hours a day, and have a hard time following simple directions, and completing a task that I don't stumble over my own feet, or break something in the process. But they were right, I can struggle to do that two hours a day. Then considering I am unable to drive in an area with 6 million people, I am limited to anything I can walk to or get a ride. It just stinks. And to make a little chump change, I have also given up any form of assistance I had before I went to work. With the exception of my health care, which is most important to me

With that said, I am the eternal optimist, and hope that somehow I can move forward with my disability and try to make a living. Each resume I send out is returned wanting to know about my gap in employment. So now I am in the position of lying on my apps, knowing I will not get the job because of my Epilepsy condition. Yes, there are laws, and lots of loopholes to get around them. Even worse, I am not even sure I can do the job because of the meds I take. This is going to be a great test for my personal MM use, and I absolutely refuse to take a drug test on the grounds of my disability. They shouldn't worry about my MM use, but of course, the use of four pharmaceutical brain-altering drugs will be acceptable.

Even with all the financial issues I have, I feel blessed. I'm still a happy person and love living. Screw SS. In the long run, maybe they did me a favor. It really has taught me about beauracratic bullshit, and how the ones who need it most are the ones who are turned away.

Love to all. Peace and happiness

Damn it HapCAt, that sucks. i hate those fuckers. public servants my ass.

hang in there sis. the assholes want to drive you into giving up.

i know a couple in norcal who helped me get mine. they are ex-ss employees who retired and now are trying to help people. they know their shit. if they aren't close enough to you perhaps they know someone to recommend to you. they are in mariposa which is a couple hours from you. pm me so i don't forget, you know how us stoners forget stuff, and i can dig up their contact info for ya. i'll forget, so pm me if you want the info.

if it don't kill us it makes us stronger.... maybe, i think.

Pretty accurate.

Need a lawyer versed in local Social Security procedure and players. Also, your docs must work with you; sometimes they can be difficult.

is there ssome form of legal aid / services available to you where you live ?

send the letter requesting an appeal before an administrative law judge spend the money for certified /// get supportive neurologist to make notarized written statement for you and ask appeal court judge to supenoa the doc to appear in person at your hearing i thought you said epilepsey do you have a llong track record at local emergency rooms if get records of every ER visit and Dr visit you want that seven story mountain of official paper records they could tip the scales your way i am on SS disdability and SSI and have both HS Diploma , Batchelor s degree and some grad school and got it because the judge was given paperwork by my lawyer [legal services] relating when i was hospitalized ER &inpatient and when i lost or was fired or quit for health reasons from many jobs thatwere below education level in my home state if you have a pending SSI /disability application as long as you let welfare get repaid if you get ss you can get cash assistance food stamps and other help the debial forms are part of soc sec way to weed out work keep appealing and bury them under medical records that work for you it took me a couple years to get it the law judge was so impressed with the mountains of medical records that he didn't even want to see me in person that really shocked the lady lawyer from legal services hope some of this helps

I can't believe all the problems everyone is going through so unnecessarily. When people who don't even need it seem to get it no problem. I know of a woman who got it by faking a mental medical condition her first time, it is so unfair. I was thinking about applying for a couple of herniated disks and ddd, but after hearing all these horror stories everyone is going through, I feel I wouldn't have a chance in hell in qualifying. I wish everyone in this forum the best of luck in getting what the deserve. I do know that when I finally do decide to try, I will use a SS advocate or a lawyer because I am a very impatient person and don't tolerate bullshit to well. My thought and prayers go out to everyone and I wish you luck. :thumb:

Unlike welfare which is financial assistance given to persons who qualify on the basis of need Social Security benefits are paid to an individual or his family on the basis of that person's employment record and prior contributions to the system. So it isn't a form of welfare.

...Social Security benefits are paid to an individual or his family on the basis of that person's employment record and prior contributions to the system. So it isn't a form of welfare.

There are different types of "Social Security Checks".

What you are talking about is what retired workers get after paying into the Social Security Fund during their working life.

Disabled people get a Supplemental Security Income (SSI) check which is awarded strictly according to disability.

Most SSI recipients have never worked, and never can.

I can't believe all the problems everyone is going through so unnecessarily. When people who don't even need it seem to get it no problem. I know of a woman who got it by faking a mental medical condition her first time, it is so unfair. I was thinking about applying for a couple of herniated disks and ddd, but after hearing all these horror stories everyone is going through, I feel I wouldn't have a chance in hell in qualifying. I wish everyone in this forum the best of luck in getting what the deserve. I do know that when I finally do decide to try, I will use a SS advocate or a lawyer because I am a very impatient person and don't tolerate bullshit to well. My thought and prayers go out to everyone and I wish you luck. :thumb:
Having gone through the process and knowing quite a few people who have done the same I can tell you that the people who work the mental angle are the ones most likely to get SSDI. Definitely push the mental issues such as frustration and inability to work with other people. For whatever reasons the SSI investigators and judges place more weight on the mental angle thatn the physical disabilities.
Here's an example. Took me 3 and half years to get it and 2 denials because I didn't bother with the mental angle. My brother who basically had the same bone disease that I have played up the mental frustration of not being able to work and he got it in 2 months.
Remember that if its SSDI, this is YOUR money. Its based on your earnings. There are 2 types of SSI. One for the people that retire at the normal retirement age and people, including children who have never earned any income.
I encourage people that if you are having difficulties carrying out your job requirements because of physical limitations and you can afford to retire off of the meager money you get from SSI or SSDI then you should do it before that money is gone.

Back
Top Bottom